SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2007, 08:45 AM   #1
jims95sl2
jims95sl2 is on a distinguished road

Default Bad alternator?

I was wondering if someone could confirm that a bad alternator could affect the shifting of the transmission on my 1995 Saturn SL2?

When I came to a stop yesterday, it felt like the transmission shifted up. This proved out when I tried to accelerate. At the same time the speedometer did not move and it appeared as though I was running off the battery (no fan, dimmed lights, etc).

I restarted it this morning and the generator light is on now and the transmission shifts hard into reverse and it still feels like it is in 3rd gear.

This would make sense to me as being just an alternator problem if it weren't for the weird speedometer and transmission symptoms.

Please let me know if this is normal. My background is mainly in old Chevys where no electronics were involved at all in the transmission.

Thanks,
Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jims95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jims95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jims95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
1994Saturn
1994Saturn will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1994 SL1
Happy Re: Bad alternator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims95sl2 View Post
I was wondering if someone could confirm that a bad alternator could affect the shifting of the transmission on my 1995 Saturn SL2?

When I came to a stop yesterday, it felt like the transmission shifted up. This proved out when I tried to accelerate. At the same time the speedometer did not move and it appeared as though I was running off the battery (no fan, dimmed lights, etc).

I restarted it this morning and the generator light is on now and the transmission shifts hard into reverse and it still feels like it is in 3rd gear.

This would make sense to me as being just an alternator problem if it weren't for the weird speedometer and transmission symptoms.

Please let me know if this is normal. My background is mainly in old Chevys where no electronics were involved at all in the transmission.

Thanks,
Jim

Sounds like a bad alt to me, Have it tested, also the battery too..

Current:
1998 SL2 Auto issues 112K
1995 Eagle Vision 3.5L TSI 117K
Past:
98 SL1 254k miles Valves Burnt.
94 SL2 125K miles Diff Pin Blew!
94 SL1 Sold @134K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1994Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1994Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1994Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:36 AM   #3
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line
Default Re: Bad alternator?

Funky auto transmission behavior is one of the clues of a faulty alternator, even if the alt light doesn't come on. The trans is very sensitive to the phase output.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:18 PM   #4
jims95sl2
jims95sl2 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Bad alternator?

Thanks guys. I replaced the alternator and it is back to normal now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jims95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jims95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jims95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote