SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #41
eftekar
eftekar is on a distinguished road

Default Re: S-Series Automatic Transaxle "Reverse Slam Cure-All"

Quote:
Use the 23mm socket and torque the input shaft nut to 111 lbs.

I have a 23mm 12pt socket and it does not sit all the way inside on the input shaft. It just barely grips on the outer teeth of the nut.

Will I need some type of thin walled socket? This craftsman just isn't doing the trick....

Help!

Also, how much play would I be feeling if the nut has backed off any?
The car slams into all gears, including reverse... the Saturn tech I spoke with confirmed that a likely cause would be the nut backing off.
So, if I am facing the input shaft, would I be seeing play towards and away from me, rather than left to right? (does that make sense?)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eftekar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eftekar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eftekar is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #42
plastic torpedo
plastic torpedo will become famous soon enoughplastic torpedo will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
1994 SC2

You should be able to feel the play with your hand. The socket you will just need to hammer in if it doesn't fit. Most of the sockets I tried don't fit, so I had to hammer them in.

If your car slams in all gears I would check out your valve body because you could have a faulty line pressure solenoid. Which would cause your input shaft nut to back out, but the nut would in this case be the consequence and not the reason for your problem.

2000 SL2 5-speed turbo
MSnS-E fuel & spark controlled @ 17-20 psi (methanol injected)
Fully forged, P&P head and manifolds, FSR turbo cams, balanced to 9k RPM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3070918

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plastic torpedo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plastic torpedo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plastic torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:56 PM   #43
eftekar

I feel a bit uneasy about hammering a socket into a space where it doesn't just slide into. Especially the case since its inside the tranny.....

But I've bought 4 different 23mm sockets and they all do not fit (I've got a lot of returns to do!)

I do not feel much play at all. It moves front to back along the shaft, but very very little. Seems to be within what I would expect to be tolerable... but no idea if there should be any movement at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help eftekar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2008, 01:25 PM   #44
plastic torpedo
plastic torpedo will become famous soon enoughplastic torpedo will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
1994 SC2

It should move just a tiny little bit.
I bet the reason your tranny slams in gears is because if the line pressure solenoid inside the valve body.

2000 SL2 5-speed turbo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help plastic torpedo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2008, 05:39 AM   #45
eftekar

Yeah, I got done putting the new nut on and had the same amount of tiny play on the input shaft.
Now I just got to get the cover back on - the short tube does not want to go in all the way.

Valve body next.

and fyi, I tried to hammer the socket it again and it did not go in easily enough for my tastes. So I took the socket to a borrowed bench grinder and after a few minutes the socket went in easily.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:48 PM   #46
docheitner
docheitner is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn Transmission Problems

I am not an experienced Saturn mechanic, so when the home remedy with the transmission fluid additive did not work with my 1993 SW2 I paid someone to replace the valve body. The problem came back intermittantly. The transmission shop got some strange codes and suggested that there might be a computer problem. I shopped around to find the cheapest rebuilt unit. It turned out I had to remove the computer from the car to get the number from it. No one would sell me a replacement without the original part number. Removal takes a few minutes because of the awkward location under the dashboard. I bought the replacement computer and drove around until the transmission problem came back. I popped in the replacement and the problem went away. I still have the car as an extra vehicle. My next purchase was a Toyota.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to docheitner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help docheitner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
docheitner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #47
mdurisseau
mdurisseau is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1993 SC1

For those of us having intermittent problems, especially after the wolfman's fix: Is it possible that a new computer is needed, based on the previous poster's experience? I'm having times where the car shifts wonderfully, and other times it won't shift from second to third without a slam...no rhyme or reason...

1996 SL2, 1993 SC1
200K + miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mdurisseau's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mdurisseau reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mdurisseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:40 PM   #48
jacksdad
jacksdad is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I had the same problem with a new socket - it was too big to fit. So I put it on a diet by running it against a bench grinder. I bought it specifically to fix the Saturn tranny, so I figured it wasn't going to waste. You probably just need to shave a few thou off to clearance it. Don't take off any more than necessary as you're going to have to lean on it kind of hard to get the new nut cinched down. If you hammer it in you might not tighten the nut down as tightly as you should, as the torque wrench will also be feeling the resistance of the socket against the inside of the drum.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacksdad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacksdad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jacksdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:51 AM   #49
plastic torpedo

2000 SL2
1994 SC2

For future reference: last time I had to do this on my 97 SL2, I took off the rear driver-side cradle bolt and wedged a box cutter knife between the frame and the cradle. That gave me enough clearance to remove the end cover without hitting the frame.

2000 SL2 5-speed turbo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #50
Cat Fuzz
Cat Fuzz is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

I just did this check and my output shaft nut only needed a little bit of tightening. I couldn't do the input nut but it didn't seem loose. I bought a 23mm socket and ground it down to fit but I could not figure out a way to hold the clutch pack drum. I couldn't get anything into the any of the holes and even if I could, it likely would have been too thin and small to hold at 111 ft. pounds. Also, I had to lower the cradle, remove the brake line bracket, the caliper and remove the upper strut mounting bolt to get enough clearance to remove the cover.

03 GMC Envoy XL
99 Isuzu Rodeo V-6, 4WD, Rebuilt 3.2L with 3.5L internals
63 Mercury Comet Convertible

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cat Fuzz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cat Fuzz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:15 PM   #51
d_rock
d_rock is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I ordered my sockets from McMaster Carr and they fit just fine.

However, I am leaking some tranny fluid from the bottom of the cover now, looks like I didn't do a good job with the gasket =\

Can anyone give me tips on the gasket used for this? I applied some gasket sealant to both sides to keep it in place, because it kept moving around when I put the cover back on.

"Pessimists see the glass as half empty, optimists see the glass as half full. Engineers see that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be."

2005 Saturn Ion-3 Quad Coupe, Automatic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to d_rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help d_rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
d_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #52
Jschmitz4857
Jschmitz4857 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

I have a question involving the input shaft nut. Does it need to be replaced or can it just be tightened? On your thread I found your price for an input shaft nut to be $5. When I called Saturn they said they could not sell the nut by itself and that I would have to buy the whole shaft to get the nut with it. The price of that was $462. The price of the seal for the cover was $57. Where can I find a gasket and a nut at a working man's price?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jschmitz4857's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jschmitz4857 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jschmitz4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #53
OU812
Advanced Member
OU812 has a spectacular aura aboutOU812 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschmitz4857 View Post
I have a question involving the input shaft nut. Does it need to be replaced or can it just be tightened? On your thread I found your price for an input shaft nut to be $5. When I called Saturn they said they could not sell the nut by itself and that I would have to buy the whole shaft to get the nut with it. The price of that was $462. The price of the seal for the cover was $57. Where can I find a gasket and a nut at a working man's price?
HOLY CRAP

Why is that you cant just tighten the nut?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OU812's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OU812 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:39 PM   #54
Jschmitz4857

1997 SL1

That is what I was wondering. Can I just tighten the nut or is there some reason I would need to replace it? It seemed to me on the other threads that they were saying to actually replace the nut. Is there something on the nut that wouldn't be good?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jschmitz4857 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-18-2008, 05:54 PM   #55
Jschmitz4857

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_rock View Post
I ordered my sockets from McMaster Carr and they fit just fine.

However, I am leaking some tranny fluid from the bottom of the cover now, looks like I didn't do a good job with the gasket =\

Can anyone give me tips on the gasket used for this? I applied some gasket sealant to both sides to keep it in place, because it kept moving around when I put the cover back on.
I was reading on other threads about this and they were saying to use only the OEM gasket with no sealers. The experience I have with the RTV is to only use it or only use a gasket. They don't seem to do well together. I believe their reason for not using the RTV was because of the temperature and the possibility of it coming loose in the transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2008, 03:56 PM   #56
mbkatt
mbkatt is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Thumbs Up Re: S-Series Automatic Transaxle "Reverse Slam Cure-All"

Thanks for posting this thread. Based on your post, I was able to fix my '97 SL2 and start using it as my commuter car again. I had completely lost reverse in mine and had started losing 2nd. Now it drives great again. I bought a rebuilt valve body on ebay for $125 and the gaskets and nuts from the dealer for $37. Ace hardware ordered in a 23mm 12pt socket for me ($5.44), that I then used a bench grinder on to get the walls thin enough to allow it to reach the nut.

It was easy to lower the sub-frame by loosening the two bolts that hold it up, which gave me enough clearance to pull the side cover right off. I bent the tubes (3 x) but they were easy enough to straighten by hand.

I did the whole thing in about 2 1/2 hours and saved $1000 over the quote i got from a transmission guy that wanted to put in a rebuilt tranny.

I never would have attempted this myself it was not for your post!

Thanks a million (or at least $1000).

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mbkatt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mbkatt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mbkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:03 PM   #57
plastic torpedo

2000 SL2
1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkatt View Post
Thanks for posting this thread. Based on your post, I was able to fix my '97 SL2 and start using it as my commuter car again. I had completely lost reverse in mine and had started losing 2nd. Now it drives great again. I bought a rebuilt valve body on ebay for $125 and the gaskets and nuts from the dealer for $37. Ace hardware ordered in a 23mm 12pt socket for me ($5.44), that I then used a bench grinder on to get the walls thin enough to allow it to reach the nut.

It was easy to lower the sub-frame by loosening the two bolts that hold it up, which gave me enough clearance to pull the side cover right off. I bent the tubes (3 x) but they were easy enough to straighten by hand.

I did the whole thing in about 2 1/2 hours and saved $1000 over the quote i got from a transmission guy that wanted to put in a rebuilt tranny.

I never would have attempted this myself it was not for your post!

Thanks a million (or at least $1000).

Mike
Cool! Glad it worked for you

2000 SL2 5-speed turbo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #58
sousa632
sousa632 is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2

I wonder if this would fix the problem I'm having. I dont get a slamming in reverse(actually engages fairly smooth). However the 2-3 shift is odd. The car will shift 1-2 no problem. It will go through 1/2 of 2nd with no problem, then act like it's going to shift to 3rd, then reengages 2nd for a little bit more. Then it will shift to 3rd with no problem. I feel like this guy here. Could it be the valve body going?

John
96 Tbird 4.6L, 95 Saturn SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sousa632's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sousa632 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sousa632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:27 AM   #59
JohnASmith
JohnASmith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousa632 View Post
I wonder if this would fix the problem I'm having. I dont get a slamming in reverse(actually engages fairly smooth). However the 2-3 shift is odd. The car will shift 1-2 no problem. It will go through 1/2 of 2nd with no problem, then act like it's going to shift to 3rd, then reengages 2nd for a little bit more. Then it will shift to 3rd with no problem. I feel like this guy here. Could it be the valve body going?
Sousa632 watch this video. I did and I fixed my shifting problem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUSSj_2eHUY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JohnASmith's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JohnASmith reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JohnASmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #60
v@ri@ble
v@ri@ble is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Hey all,

I am so glad I found this post and I am hoping this is what my problem is. I have a 2000 SL2 DOHC that I ended up replacing the motor in. My friend swapped it with one from a 2001. Anyways, the motor has ran great since the swap which was about 6 months ago, but the other night when I went for a drive my tranny seemed to slip a little from 1st to 2nd. I made it to my destination only to find that reverse was now going as well. When I got home and tried it again, reverse was gone and it still slipped going into 2nd. From the sounds of it, this post should be the cure.

I'd like to get a second opinion however so that I am not wasting money on this. I plan to take the contents of plastic torpedo's first post to my local garage and see if they can do this procedure for me since I am not very good at working on cars.

Any thoughts on this one guys???

Thanks!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to v@ri@ble's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help v@ri@ble reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
v@ri@ble is offline   Reply With Quote