SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2007, 07:45 AM   #1
tomhammond
tomhammond is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
2004 ION-1 Sedan
Default How to remove driver airbag?

Hello,

Does anyone know how to remove the driver-side airbag that is on the steering wheel? Looking at the replacement airbag & cover, there are four metal posts with notches that clip into the steering wheel somehow.

I am not trying to re-connect the replacement airbag, as that takes a skilled technician. But I do want to replace the cover so that I can get the horn working again. That way my car can pass inspection and be on the road again.

Does it take special tools to remove the airbag cover? Hopefully I don't have to remove the steering column to do this.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Tom Hammond
Proud Saturn owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tomhammond's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tomhammond reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tomhammond is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2007, 09:02 AM   #2
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1
Default Re: How to remove driver airbag?

The 2nd gen airbags connect with two little screws that come in "from behind". Look behind the spokes of the steering wheel. IDK about your 3rd gen. Look for female thread on your replacement bag for clues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

I don't know about the skilled technician part for hooking up an airbag. It's just a wire harness. I took mine off and put it back on my 2000 to change out the steering wheel for cruise control. On the 3rd gen there are clips in each corner that hook into slots in posts on the air bag. To remove the bag you rotate the wheel to expose the hole the clips are in, insert a screwdriver and turn 1/4 turn. You can feel when it has the clip pulled back. Then pull on that corner. Do that on every corner and viola. To go back on, hook up the wiring, line the posts up with the clips and push. It just snaps in.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:46 PM   #4
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

I assume it would be advisable to have the battery disconnected when removing an air bag...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:00 PM   #5
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

I posted instructions here:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=10

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote