SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2007, 10:27 PM   #1
erick295
erick295 is on a distinguished road

Default Rear wheel bearing & hub removal?

I'm about to replace my rear bearings, so I searched around for some info and found this thread, but nothing else. I know the process is easy, but evidently it's a b***h to remove the original hubs

I want to make sure I get everything I need before I actually do this, because this is my only car and I do NOT want to have to put everything back together to go get something, lol. I guess I need a small sledgehammer and some PB Blaster... do I also need something like a chisel to pound with? Also, what size socket do I need for the hub assembly bolts, and will a 1/2" drive fit in there or is it too tight? Is that pretty much all I need?

One last question... where can I buy jack pads? I've looked around a bit and haven't been able to find any, except online. I'd especially like a pair I can use around the pinch weld, if I can do that. I'm getting tired of repairing my undercoating every time I jack up the back

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to erick295's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help erick295 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
erick295 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2007, 12:31 AM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Rear wheel bearing & hub removal?

Whenever I have ever had to remove rear hubs, I just remove the four 10mm bolts and the hub falls out into my hand. I actually have to remove the final bolt and hold onto the hub at the same time so it doesnt fall on the ground.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:56 AM   #3
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Actually the hardest part of this job can be getting the old hub out if it is rusted or corroded in. The PB Blaster or other good penetrant will help but I wouldn't go at it with a chisel. You definately don't need anything as robust as 1/2 in drive. 3/8 drive is more that adequate.

As for the jack pads, I don't have pads. If you are using jack stands, you can take a piece of 1x4 cut about 4 inches long and put it between the stand and the underside of the car if you are jacking it in an area that is suseptable to damage.

Here are a couple of links that show jacking locations:
http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...21846/size/big

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d80199897.jsp

I tried the first one but right now the Saturnfans photos are down. That one is actually a drawing from the Saturn service manuals.

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:06 AM   #4
tarsun
Advanced Member
tarsun is on a distinguished road

jack locations = look where your spare tire is in the trunk. no dont put them there. ha ha. ok not funny but seriously, look under the carpet in the trunk. it should tell you right where to jack the car up...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tarsun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tarsun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:41 AM   #5
erick295

Oh, are they only 10mm? I figured they'd be bigger.

I know where the jack points are, but the undercoating always gets scraped off by the jacks (not the stands). If anyone knows where to buy the pads, let me know. Otherwise, I guess I'll just keep looking around.

That should be all the info I need. Thanks guys

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help erick295 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
Greg1
Greg1 is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
1998 SL2

You are using a floor jack? I always use a piece of wood to distribute the load.

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:52 PM   #7
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Whenever I have ever had to remove rear hubs, I just remove the four 10mm bolts and the hub falls out into my hand. I actually have to remove the final bolt and hold onto the hub at the same time so it doesnt fall on the ground.
i wish i had that problem. mine took 2 days soaking in pb blaster, an hour of hammering and many cuss-words...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #8
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Whenever I have ever had to remove rear hubs, I just remove the four 10mm bolts and the hub falls out into my hand.
Quote:
'Nuff said.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:52 PM   #9
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post
i wish i had that problem. mine took 2 days soaking in pb blaster, an hour of hammering and many cuss-words...

s3aturnr
Michigan....
Well into the salt belt...
Nuff said.

Erick should be good, atlanta doesn't get much salt...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #10
erick295

Well, I drove it for four years in Tennessee before moving here, and it got some salt there... but it spent most of its life in Florida before that, so I have high hopes. I still want to be prepared, though

I didn't think about using wood... I'll just do that if I can't find any pads. Thanks. I assume that doesn't compromise the stability at all...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2007, 04:24 PM   #11
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleninpa View Post
Michigan....
Well into the salt belt...
Nuff said.

Erick should be good, atlanta doesn't get much salt...
you are correct, sir. alas, if i were to unbolt the rear hub only to have it fall off in my hand, i would cry tears of joy...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:24 PM   #12
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Your tears of joy, being salty, would cause the hub sitting in your hand to rust...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2007, 06:02 PM   #13
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2

A trick that I have used is using the bolt holes to press out the bearing. After removing the bolts that hold the bearing/hub on the knuckle, I then insert some longer bolts, two opposite each other will do. The studs that hold the upper motor mount or about the same length work real good. Then rotate the hub so the bolt heads press up against the hub. Start turning the bolts out a few turns at a time and the bearing/hub will come right off.

Of course a couple days soak with PB Blaster is always good.

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:54 PM   #14
erick295

That sounds interesting, but I'm a little lost because I don't know what this thing looks like. Are you rotating the hub so that its bolt holes no longer line up with the knuckle's holes, and then tightening bolts into them from the front, so they press against the knuckle and pull the hub out?

Do you know the thread dimensions of the bolts so I could get a couple? I don't have any extras.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2007, 03:04 PM   #15
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
That sounds interesting, but I'm a little lost because I don't know what this thing looks like. Are you rotating the hub so that its bolt holes no longer line up with the knuckle's holes, and then tightening bolts into them from the front, so they press against the knuckle and pull the hub out?

Do you know the thread dimensions of the bolts so I could get a couple? I don't have any extras.
There are holes in the hub, for no apparent reason.
Use a long bolt and thread it into where you took the short on out from, going thru the hub mystery hole by the wheel studs.
After you screw in far enough you can rotate the hub, rotate the hub some so the mystery hole doesnt line up. Then back out the bolt, and it will jack against the hub, and maybe push the whole bearing assembly out.
On my montana, I did similar on the front, and the bearing came apart, leaving part of it stuck inside. Fortunately it was the front and I used the CV as a jack with the big cv nut.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:47 PM   #16
madpogue

1996 SW2

P'raps this is just what these holes are for, to create an ad hoc puller.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2007, 04:19 PM   #17
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
P'raps this is just what these holes are for, to create an ad hoc puller.
Well the holes are there for access to remove the bolts. Guess you could say if you can't pull it then push it.

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:36 PM   #18
erick295

I went ahead and replaced the bearings (they came off pretty easily with a hammer and some PB), and now my rear brakes are groaning when I release the pedal. They seemed to be adjusted properly, dragging just enough, but maybe not. Do I need to just wait a few days to see if they self-adjust, or is there something I should do to help the process along? Could it be something else? They seem to work fine... I can stop the car with just the handbrake.

In any case, the clacking noise went away, and the car coasts better now (which may or may not be because the brakes aren't properly adjusted)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-30-2007, 08:08 PM   #19
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

Probably where the drum sits in proportion to the shoes has shifted slightly with the tighter bearings.

Maybe try pulling the drums and sandpapering the rust ridges away. Hate to have that noise mask a bearing problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:00 AM   #20
erick295

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefino View Post
Maybe try pulling the drums and sandpapering the rust ridges away. Hate to have that noise mask a bearing problem.
If you're talking about the surfaces the shoes drag on, there's no rust on them. Also, this only happens when I release the pedal, not while stopping. It's just like the usual sound that happens if you release the pedal enough that the car starts rolling but the brakes are still tightly engaged, except louder... it almost sounds like they're wet or something.

EDIT: BTW, the car isn't rolling here... it happens even when I'm sitting still on flat ground and out of gear.

Last edited by erick295; 05-01-2007 at 08:07 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!