SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
ClapDaddy
Advanced Member
ClapDaddy will become famous soon enough

Sad Bad Experience with Chevy Dealer

My son "had" a 2008 Astra XE. He called to make an appointment with the "SASP" because he had a Engine Light on. They told him they could get him in in a week and a half. He asked if it would be OK to continue to drive his car until then. He was told they "thought" it would be OK.

Lucky for my son, I knew a Tech at the Dealer. My son called back and they told him to come in the next day when they opened.

He arrived on time and after several hours they told him his car needed a part and it was OK to drive it. BUT they did not have ANY estimate on when the part would be in.

He called me up again and asked if he could "get out" of his Astra. Informed him he was upside down on the loan. He came in and we put all the numbers together. Four hours later he left with a 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS.

He really likes it, especially the 710 watt Stereo system.

This is the second family member who left the GM family, for a Mitsubishi.

5yr/60,000 BtB and 10yr/100,000 powertrain. PLUS the 7500 mile oil changes made this easier for my son.

Al ClapDaddy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ClapDaddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ClapDaddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ClapDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
shadowspiyre99
shadowspiyre99 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Re: Bad Experience with Chevy Dealer

should have sprung for the evo but grats enjoy the car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shadowspiyre99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shadowspiyre99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shadowspiyre99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
irish56
Advanced Member
irish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really nice

1999 SC1

That's weird. I wonder what kind of emission-related part could be unavailable for the Astra? Isn't it a common Ecotec engine shared with several other GM cars?

On a semi-related note - Al, do the former Saturn of Columbus dealers still stock any Saturn parts or service S-series?

'95 SL1 auto (RIP)
'98 SL2 5sp (RIP)
'01 SL2 auto (RIP)
'99 SC1 auto (Mom's...keeps on truckin')

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to irish56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help irish56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
irish56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
ClapDaddy
Advanced Member
ClapDaddy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish56 View Post
That's weird. I wonder what kind of emission-related part could be unavailable for the Astra? Isn't it a common Ecotec engine shared with several other GM cars?

On a semi-related note - Al, do the former Saturn of Columbus dealers still stock any Saturn parts or service S-series?
Was Not sure which part for the Astra that they did not have or could not give a date" for.

We are trying to get parts for Saturns and still have a supply of them. Naturally, not the same supply as before.

AND a big YES, we are still servicing ALL former Saturn models. Only thing we can't do is FACTORY Warranty work. We can dpo waranty work if it is NOT a "Saturn/GM" waranteed item.

Al ClapDaddy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ClapDaddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ClapDaddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ClapDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
ToledoEngineer
ToledoEngineer is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1

Maybe it's just me...but buying a new car because an engine light came on, while the car is still driveable, seems a TAD overkill to me. And if it was justified...then it sounds like a big chunk of the story is missing.

I would not count that as a bad service experience from Chevy (based on what was written). It was a singular experience and could have been due to the specific person that was spoken to (in service/parts/over phone/etc). And I've heard those exact words from Saturn of Toledo, about not knowing when a part will come in. My car was up on the lift, WITH the transmission disassembled, and that is what I was told back in April 2009. I came in or called every other day for a week and they told me that every time. They knew what was wrong and how to fix it, they just didnt know how soon GM could get them the part. Turned out to be a week and a half. That one bad experience didnt stop me from going there. And I surely would not have gotten rid of the car because of it.

It just seems waaayyyyyyy overkill to completely ditch a car (and brand) when only an engine light is on, and you can still drive it safely. But that's just me. Heck, GM is known for iffy O2 sensors throwing the SES. Which is a very simple emissions "issue". My local Saturn had to order a second key fob for me. A key fob. They only had one in stock. Something so simple. Maybe in your son's case, they had just recently used the last of whatever was "wrong" with that Astra.

"Education is the progressive realization of our own ignorance"

1992 SL1: 149k miles
2008 Sky RL: 35k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ToledoEngineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ToledoEngineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ToledoEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:09 AM   #6
TaylorMutts
TaylorMutts is on a distinguished road

Even more interesting is the fact it took Al 4 hours to sell his son on the Mitsubishi vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TaylorMutts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TaylorMutts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TaylorMutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

When a spring went on my L they had to order the part via a dealer. Took 4 days (No aftermarket). They did give me an estimate. You can also check on-line saturn parts places or another dealer. For extra money they can ship quick for you.

Only 1 GM dealer (Sells all GM brands) in the whole county I live in. So many GM dealers went bust.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ricksLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

To answer Irish56's Ecotec question - the 1.8L the Astra uses is not part of the Ecotec family in NA, at least not directly. IIRC, the 1.8 was brought to NA because it was the only mill Europe used with an automatic or manual on that version of the Astra.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #9
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClapDaddy View Post
My son "had" a 2008 Astra XE. He called to make an appointment with the "SASP" because he had a Engine Light on. They told him they could get him in in a week and a half. He asked if it would be OK to continue to drive his car until then. He was told they "thought" it would be OK.

Lucky for my son, I knew a Tech at the Dealer. My son called back and they told him to come in the next day when they opened.

He arrived on time and after several hours they told him his car needed a part and it was OK to drive it. BUT they did not have ANY estimate on when the part would be in.
So... what was the mystery part that made SES light come on?

I traded my 2002 SC2 in for a 2011 Ford Fiesta. I felt guilty for a week since I could see my Saturn on their used car lot on the way to/from work.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2 View Post
I traded my 2002 SC2 in for a 2011 Ford Fiesta. I felt guilty for a week since I could see my Saturn on their used car lot on the way to/from work.
and probably being sold for a wacked out price too... which is what I was telling Saturninin about when and if I trade my car. Do I just sell it for private party, know I'll get at least a grand (if not a grand and a half) out of it, have a kickass down payment, and know that it's being used from day one, or do I risk trading it in, getting near ZERO dollars out of it (not because it's a Saturn, mind you), and letting rot on the $tealer's lot because of a wacked out high price?

To the OP: no offense, but the first problem was ASTRA. congrats on the new Mitsu though, good luck with it y'all!

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #11
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

I forgot but here's a good one. When the spring went on my LS1 the Saturn dealer was still in business. When my local shop called the Saturn dealer said that they would only order the part if we paid up front and had to pick up the part. The Chevy dealer (for the same cost) ordered the part and deliverd to the shop who they allowed to put on their account. The other Saturn dealer further away who went out of business before would deliver the parts and charge less than the closer dealer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ricksLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #12
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Ditching a car because a part wasn't available is extreme. One thing my father always told me when there was a neat car that would come out from Mitsubishi or one of the off-brands was to call their parts department and see if they stock a headlight bezel or something like that. Mits was notorious for not supporting their vehicles with a parts supply. Not sure how they are today.

The Astra was a very limited production unit so I don't see that having a limited supply of certain parts being an unforeseeable problem. I'd venture to say that it'd be tough to source some parts for a G8-GT as well. The Lancer is OK but I'd be in a new Kia or Hyundai years before I'd be in a Mitsubishi. One of the issues with the Lancer is liner to the windows. They use some hard piece of plastic that has no felt liner on it like most cars do. So, if you tint the Lancer, it'll need to have these put in or the tint will scratch terribly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #13
piney
Master Member

Not to kill a dead horse on the Mitsubishi products but look at this site before you buy one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #14
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney View Post
Not to kill a dead horse on the Mitsubishi products but look at this site before you buy one.
Interesting site... Truthfully I've done my best to stay away from anything with the Mitsubishi brand name I've been burned too many times in the past wit their VCR's, turntables, and TV's.

Their cars and the Chrysler vehicles that share their chassis's seemed to drive fine. A few years ago they would finance and give a car to most anyone that walked in their door. A majority of their owners went into default.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #15
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
heh I LOVE how that site (for the most part) doesn't even mention other brands.. Hello, there's a TON of European brands and American ones too, not just the Asian made stuff.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #16
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Interesting site... Truthfully I've done my best to stay away from anything with the Mitsubishi brand name I've been burned too many times in the past wit their VCR's, turntables, and TV's.
Interesting because back in the day the Mitsubishi consumer electronics were considered some of the best. (Never knew they had turntables)

The Auto side and CE side are not really related though.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #17
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Funny how some will promote and believe a private "anti-company" site but consider Consumer Reports (who get responses from millions of people and test cars thoroughly using their own equipment and track) as incompetent and biased.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #18
piney
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
Funny how some will promote and believe a private "anti-company" site but consider Consumer Reports (who get responses from millions of people and test cars thoroughly using their own equipment and track) as incompetent and biased.
If I were stuck in the woods after eating too much fiber and the only piece of paper left was a CR magazine, I'd use tree bark, even if the CR was pre-softened.

I know the Mitsubishi site is obviously slanted but do find it interesting that someone felt so screwed over that they took the time to buy the domain and put the site together.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #19
fuigb3
fuigb3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
CR bases the reliability findings upon member/subscriber survey responses and therein is the bias. Think about it: only subscribers submit survey responses for vehicles like the Grand Caravan, Accord, etc., but national market research firms (e.g. J.D Power) survey all or a randomly selected sample from among all owners of these vehicles. Scientific Method 101 dictates that a random sample is necessary for unbiased results.

Something else: owner satisfaction and "problems" as reported in all surveys are products of expectation & perception. Dodge & Plymouth Neons were identical vehicles in name and design, and were even assembled on the same line. Survey results for the two were significantly different which, objectively, was impossible.

Bottom line: the foundation for CR autotive reliability and satisfaction findings are flawed. The fact that they are accepted as gospel by many does not alter this fact.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fuigb3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fuigb3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fuigb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #20
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish56 View Post
Your guess is as good as mine as to what that emission-related part could be.

In Europe, many examples of Family 1 Ecotec four-bangers have been assembled, but the 1.8L here isn't as common as you'd think. The H-base Saturn Astra was the very first application of the Family 1 DCVCP Ecotec four cylinder for this market. The lone product currently certified for continued use of the 1.8L Ecotec is the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

Last edited by GR898SL2; 12-21-2010 at 08:09 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote