SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
phool
phool is on a distinguished road

Default S series buyers guide

I've been looking into some first gen s series cars, and I'm trying to determine what things are normal for these cars, and what aren't. For instance, I know that these early saturns all burn some oil, just a question of how much.

I do have some other questions and commonalities of a few different saturns I've looked at. How much are the parts to replace the recliners in the seats? I looked at one, and as soon as I sat down, the seat went all the way back. Also, when I pull the spark plug wires off, is it okay if the end of the spark plug wire is wet with oil? Does that mean there is a bad gasket?

What other common problems should I be looking for?

Thanks!

2004 Ion Redline
1988 Fiero GT (awaiting V8)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phool is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
94SW2
94SW2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
1994 SW2
Default Re: S series buyers guide

There was a recall campaign that had to do with the seat reclining. It doesn't cover all VIN's (though I can't see why not) - you'd have to see where the particular car falls. If nothing else, a salvage yard should have one....

Oil in the plug wells is a leaking valve cover gasket. Fairly cheap and easy fix and doesn't take terribly long (maybe 2hrs if you work really slow).

Depending on the mileage of the car, the ECTS (use search function) may or may not have been changed. Another fairly cheap fix along with an hour or so of labor.

These cars will use oil. Not necessarily bad unless it's excessive - and it can be somewhat kept under control (search MMO soak). Be sure to keep the level topped off (standard protocol is to check level at every fill-up - at least until you get an idea of your cars consumption rate).

If you look in the how-to section, there is a used car buyers guide that can offer some insight. There are also some excellent...well..."how-to's" regarding some common repairs ranging from simple to complicated. Also - most members here are pretty helpful when you ask - though you may be remind to use the "search function" a few times

Good luck in your search

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
94SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94SW2 View Post
Depending on the mileage of the car, the ECTS (use search function) may or may not have been changed. Another fairly cheap fix along with an hour or so of labor.
more like 20-30 min... for a first-timer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
JADEDSL2
JADEDSL2 will become famous soon enough

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
more like 20-30 min... for a first-timer.

Or, if you're me, about 2 and a half minutes, and I'm only a second timer with that one.

"1G8ZJ5472MZ134321"-my Jaded, I will never forget.
"1G8ZF5594PZ249184"-Trinity, for three are now one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JADEDSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JADEDSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JADEDSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote