SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2007, 11:19 AM   #1
Psyclone07
Psyclone07 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL
Default Saturn SC2 Auto PCM swap

I dont know if this is true or not. It says it brings up the horsepower to 124 but would that also be the same for a SOHC. If i recall a DOHC HP is 124 so would putting this chip in a SOHC make it equal HP??? im a very confused noob. and would this work in a 96 SL1 manual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Psyclone07's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Psyclone07 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Psyclone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2007, 11:30 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2
Default Re: Saturn SC2 Auto PCM swap

A while ago Low Saturn hinted that the Auto PCM is designed to prepare the engine for stopping anytime the gas pedel is lifted/reduced which may decrease gas mileage
All swapping in an auto SC2 PCM might do is remove the speed limiter. Want DOHC power? Get a DOHC engine. Oh, it'd also put the SES light on because the manual is "missing" 1st->4th + R gear (not really, just the sensors).

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:23 AM   #3
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It doesn't have anything to do with horsepower. With a single cam, after a certain speed, the governor kicks in and you can't go any faster. I don't remember what it was, something like 109. With the DOHC PCM, the speed limiter kicks in at 124. It will cause some other problems, so there really isn't any reason to do it. Unless you live on the salt flats or something, but if you want to go super fast there are a lot better choices than a Saturn.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:38 AM   #4
xupthree60
Master Member
xupthree60 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1991 SL

a sohc wouldn't even run with a dohc pcm. regardless of that some people belive the auto pcm makes them faster cuz it has no rev limiters. well saturns stop making power at the top of their power band, and make their most power around 4500rpm so theres no point unless u have some serious work done. in which case its better to do a stand alone cuz the auto pcm will hurt performance.

the dohc has more hp cuz it has twice the cams and twice the valves

i think what ur confused about is people like to put the pcm from an sc2 (regardless of manual or auto) into their sw2 or sl2 cuz it brings the limited top speed up to 124 from 111. quick this is only the sc2 and no other that has the 124mph top speed.

mods i still need to do:

struts that can handle H&R race springs
rear sway bar
stiffer fstb (maybe)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xupthree60's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xupthree60 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xupthree60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:17 AM   #5
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I couldn't remember if it was just the coupe, or all the Sx2's

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:46 PM   #6
tarsun
Advanced Member
tarsun is on a distinguished road

i do know a dohc engine will work work, i mean run, some what... with a sohc pcm. not verry good tho. and theres no point to it. but i know it as a fact.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tarsun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tarsun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyclone07 View Post
I dont know if this is true or not. It says it brings up the horsepower to 124 but would that also be the same for a SOHC. If i recall a DOHC HP is 124 so would putting this chip in a SOHC make it equal HP??? im a very confused noob. and would this work in a 96 SL1 manual.
NO. putting the PCM from a 124 horsepower DOHC SC2 into a 85 or 100 horsepower SOHC SL1 will NOT make it equal 124 horsepower.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote