SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
wirespy
wirespy is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE
Default Noise/Click under drivers area when starting out

Does anyone else notice a click, thump or noise under your feet when you first start accelerating from a parked position?
I both feel a small clicking vibration as if something is engaging about 2 seconds after I start accelerating from a parked position - I never feel it again.

I can't figure it out and wondered if others get the same thing before I start to panic...

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wirespy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wirespy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wirespy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
John1096
John1096 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Default Re: Noise/Click under drivers area when starting out

I hear it/ feel it also. It's just a guess...I think it may have something to to with the transmission..some electronic solenoid. I am sure someone in this forum will know for sure

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John1096's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John1096 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
Tumblerats
Tumblerats is on a distinguished road

Yes, I have noticed a thump/bump kinda sound when starting out. I was going to bring it to the attention of the service people the next time into the shop. It sounds similar to a CV joint gone bad. Does it have a CV joint? I used to have a car that had CV joints, and that is what this sounds like to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tumblerats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tumblerats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tumblerats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumblerats View Post
Yes, I have noticed a thump/bump kinda sound when starting out. I was going to bring it to the attention of the service people the next time into the shop. It sounds similar to a CV joint gone bad. Does it have a CV joint? I used to have a car that had CV joints, and that is what this sounds like to me.
Without CV joints, your axles would go to hell in a hurry.

Are you guys FWD or AWD?

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
kyad12
kyad12 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

I have an AWD XR with the same noise as well. I only notice it within the first 15-20 feet after enagaging it in Drive.
I test drove four different XR's at two Saturn different dealers and they all made the same noise. After hearing it this many times on different vehicles, I figure its a normal thing. My guess is its the transmission. Maybe its disengaging the AWD to just FWD??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kyad12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kyad12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kyad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:37 AM   #6
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

It's the ABS system initializing. This usually happens at 5 to 10 MPH with your foot off the brake.

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:24 PM   #7
Tumblerats
Tumblerats is on a distinguished road

Thanks Blackeagle1. It is nice to know that it is a "normal" sound.

Mine is a FWD XR.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tumblerats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tumblerats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tumblerats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:12 PM   #8
ffballid
ffballid is on a distinguished road

I also noticed a similar sound. I asked the dealer about it when I went in for the recalls. They originally said "no noise found". I had the tech ride with me and he heard it & he said it was the ac compressor kicking in or clearing or something. Given that the ac is erratic, I thougt about having them look at it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ffballid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ffballid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ffballid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:22 PM   #9
Carlisle_Outlk
Carlisle_Outlk is on a distinguished road

Blackeagle is correct. This is the ABS and Stability Control systems performing a self check and is considered normal. See pages 325 and 327 in the 2007 Outlook Owner's manual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Carlisle_Outlk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Carlisle_Outlk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Carlisle_Outlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:06 AM   #10
ed nunez
ed nunez is on a distinguished road

Mine does it too, has done from day one. The dealer has not been able to hear it so they think it is all in our heads - my wife and I.

This is what the manual says about the ABS initializing:

When you start the engine and begin to drive
away, ABS will check itself. You might hear
a momentary motor or clicking noise while this test
is going on, and you might even notice that the
brake pedal moves a little. This is normal.

And about the Stabilitrack:
When you first start your vehicle and begin to
drive away, the system performs several diagnostic
checks to ensure there are no problems. You
may hear or feel the system working. This
is normal and does not mean there is a problem
with your vehicle. The system should initialize
before the vehicle reaches 20 mph (32 km/h).
In some cases, it may take approximately
two miles of driving before the system initializes.

I am skeptical that either of these are the cause of the noise. I test drove a FWD XE before buying our XR and it did not exhibit any of noises mine does. I can feel them through the floor pan and the pedals in mine, and they can occur after going forward after back out of my driveway, when pulling forward and turning from a parking spot, when turning a sharp corner at very low speeds.

I will be taking our XR to the dealer in the coming days for an oil change and will try to duplicate the coise while there one more time. I am going to ask about test driving another Outlook to see if it has the noises. If it does then I may stop worrying about it.

Ed Nunez
2007 Outlook XR FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ed nunez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ed nunez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ed nunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:53 AM   #11
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

Do you hear the noise more than once during a drive cycle? Once the ABS initializes after first driving away at start-up, you should not hear it again.

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:04 AM   #12
hawkaye19
hawkaye19 is on a distinguished road

I remembered reading this from the Consumer reports review of the Outlook

Controls/Materials

2WD XE Class Average
7 6.4

Gauges large, clear, backlit even with headlights off. Controls logically placed. Interior combines soft-touch surfaces with hard plastic to overall good effect, though some testers find fabric upholstery lacks quality feel. Test vehicle suffered an intermittent rattle from beneath front-seat-area floor.

Suspect this is the same noise....

Cheers

Bruce

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hawkaye19's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hawkaye19 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hawkaye19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:17 PM   #13
ed nunez

The noise will almost always occur at the start of a drive cycle but it can also occur at later times in the same drive cycle. That is why I do not think it is anything initializing once.

Ed Nunez
2007 Outlook XR FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ed nunez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:49 AM   #14
ed nunez

I finally got the drive the Outlook for several days straight - it is my wife's car I don't get to drive it often - here are my observations:

1. the noise occurs once at about 8-10 MPH 90% of the time when starting a drive cycle. This correlates with it being the stability system initializing. This occurrence is dependent on how long the car sits between drive cycles - the longer it sits the more likely it is to happen.
2. the noise repeats with less intensity 2 to 4 more times between 10 and 20 MPH about 25% after starting a drive cycle.

I have not had an opportunity to go test drive another Outlook to see if it has the same noise yet, maybe this coming weekend when I go for my next oil change at 6500 miles.

Ed Nunez
2007 Outlook XR FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2007, 12:40 PM   #15
snobrd
snobrd is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE
Dizzy Re: Noise/Click under drivers area when starting out

Picked up my outlook on Monday. I have the click. Mine is at slow speed coming to a stop or taking off. The slower I go the slower the click.
Took it to the dealer this am the mechanic did not know what it is but he told me it was much louder under the car.
They gave me a rental and told me they will have an engineer come in to check it. Waiting to here from them. I may opt for the return. Will post results either way.
The dealer called while I was typing said it is the differential and it can not be serviced so they must replace the tranny.
My salesman is checking for another Outlook and will call me will post results.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snobrd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snobrd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snobrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:10 AM   #16
snobrd

2007 Outlook XE
Thumbs Up Re: Noise/Click under drivers area when starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrd View Post
Picked up my outlook on Monday. I have the click. Mine is at slow speed coming to a stop or taking off. The slower I go the slower the click.
Took it to the dealer this am the mechanic did not know what it is but he told me it was much louder under the car.
They gave me a rental and told me they will have an engineer come in to check it. Waiting to here from them. I may opt for the return. Will post results either way.
The dealer called while I was typing said it is the differential and it can not be serviced so they must replace the tranny.
My salesman is checking for another Outlook and will call me will post results.
I pick up my new Outlook today.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help snobrd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #17
PREEVES
PREEVES is on a distinguished road

Outlook with 2000 miles - have heard the click under the seat as well as "crunching" noises in front suspension during turns, backing up from parked position, braking and going over speed bumps. At first they told me they couldn't hear it but upon insistance a third person drove it - guess what - he heard it - imagine that! Sway bars need to be replaced - at 2000 miles! - not what I wanted to hear. I had to have both front sway bars replaced on my vue at 12M miles. Sounds like a definite flaw in structural design in Saturn - I wonder if cars have same problems or is it just the SUV Versions. I love how the Outlook handles, mileage averages 17.5-18 in town and 24 on road at 70 MPH - can't complain - my Vue didn't get that good! Just hope this isn't the beginning of a nightmare - Saturn service seems to be famous for "Let's see how many trips we can make you come before we get it right" but beg us to give them an "Outstanding" service record??? I might check to see if GMC Services the Outlook since the Acadia is built on same platform - Oh by the way- after 3 weeks owning - my battery died! Grab that - their explanation -" Well it probably set on the lot for a long time before it was shipped to us" Duh - give me a break - I love how Saturn handles and love the flat tow feature since we have a motor home. Have yet to tow the Outlook - so I'm holding that opinion. Check out the sway bars - even if you have to insist!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PREEVES's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PREEVES reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PREEVES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #18
snobrd

2007 Outlook XE
Thumbs Up Re: Noise/Click under drivers area when starting out

I picked up my new replacement Outlook today and with no hassle and no questions, The mechanic told me he was instructed to pull the tranny on the first one and send it to the engineering dept. at GM said only pull it do not work on it so they can find the cause.
My new Outlook does not have the problem. A bad experience was quickly turned into a good one , I am very happy with Saturn. I have never been treated this good at any other Dealership.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #19
BrightOutlook
BrightOutlook is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrd View Post
I picked up my new replacement Outlook today... I have never been treated this good at any other Dealership.
WOW!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BrightOutlook's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BrightOutlook reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BrightOutlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:18 AM   #20
FamilyOf5
FamilyOf5 is on a distinguished road

Center console clunks when car changes direction forward/backward. Dealer adjusted the "delimiting" stop & says nothing more they can do about it ... made no difference. Classic GM situation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FamilyOf5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FamilyOf5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FamilyOf5 is offline   Reply With Quote