SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2007, 11:52 PM   #1
MrBiz
MrBiz is on a distinguished road

Default Future Vehicle: 2009 Chevrolet Outlook

http://www.motortrend.com/future/fut...rolet_outlook/

Future Vehicle: 2009 Chevrolet Outlook
Chevrolet's Unibody SUV: TrailBlazer's days could be numbered

By Todd Lassa
Photography by the Manufacturer

Chevy is rushing its own version of the Lambda-platform midsize SUV into production. General Motors had originally limited its new Lambda platform to three brands with the 2007 Saturn Outlook, 2008 Buick Enclave, and 2008 GMC Acadia. But the collapse of Ford Explorer sales has GM officials pondering the long-term viability of its body-on-frame TrailBlazer and GMC Envoy sport/utes, as Ford customers seem ready to embrace the more carlike unibody crossovers such as the Ford Edge, Lincoln MKX, and Mazda CX-7.

Although the rush program means the Chevy version--probably due the 2009 model year--will share a lot of its sheetmetal with the Saturn Outlook, GM's play could still be the smart move, as the Lambda platform takes advantage of the front-drive, independent-rear-suspension architecture to include a third-row seat, which isn't available in the Fords. But its development could blunt the future of the TrailBlazer and its GMC cousin, the Envoy.

The next-generation TrailBlazer and Envoy, GMX 375, has already been delayed about one year to model year 2009, and GM showed no mercy in cutting the seven-passenger TrailBlazer and Envoy from the lineup this year. It killed the GMC Envoy XUV in 2005 after just two model years. One source believes the next TrailBlazer, a major update of the current model, will be dropped after 2011.

Here's a closer look at the new Lambda family
Chevrolet Lambda: Fits into lineup between Equinox V-6 and Tahoe/Suburban. Although likely to share much sheetmetal with the Saturn Outlook, it'll have Chevy-style front and rear fascias. Expect fewer features and lower prices compared with the Saturn version, although all Lambdas, so far, are powered by the high-feature 3.6-liter DOHC V-6 engine.

Saturn Outlook:Key component to moving the division upmarket (from Honda/Toyota competitor to an Acura-fighter) and into the middle of GM's lineup, where Olds used to be. Launches this fall.

Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia: Will share Pontiac/Buick/GMC showrooms together next year as 2008 models, but have a much different look from each other and from the Outlook. The GMT360 Buick Rainier will be dropped after 2008. GM figures the Acadia will appeal to GMC buyers, while the Buick will appeal to Lexus buyers.

Saab 9-6x: At least a year off. Production of the current GMT360 Saab 9-7x will probably overlap with the 9-6x for about a year.

By adding IRS to its last-generation Explorer, Ford caught GM off guard with three rows of seats. GM countered with the ugly, ill-handling GMT370s. But will Ford have to respond now to the Lambdas with a three-row Edge?

DaimlerChrysler, meanwhile, is currently concentrating on smaller crossovers with the Jeep's Patriot and Compass. The trucklike Dodge Durango and Chrysler Aspen are category busters, smaller than the full-size GM and Ford models, but larger than the midsize ones. Jeep Grand Cherokee and Commander also are competitors.

On top of all this, the competition from the Asian brands is heating up. Over the next two to three years, major changes are due for the Toyota Highlander, Acura MDX, Honda Pilot, Nissan Murano, Infiniti FX 35/45, and 2009 Lexus RX.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chevy Outlook.jpg (15.4 KB, 83 views)

Biz

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD
2004 Saturn ION 2
1996 Saturn SL 2
1992 Saturn SL 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrBiz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrBiz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2007, 12:54 AM   #2
KrgION03
KrgION03 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Future Vehicle: 2009 Chevrolet Outlook

I REALLY hope that's a chop..

Kyle

18 Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic, Narvik Black
15 Porsche Cayman, Carrara White
Previous:
13 Porsche Boxster
09 Mercedes-Benz C300
06 Mini Cooper S
05 Saab 9-3
03 Saturn Ion2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KrgION03's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KrgION03 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KrgION03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
KenSatrun
KenSatrun is on a distinguished road

Ugh...terrible picture. The Chevy will look "nothing" like the Saturn!! Now let's all keep chanting that!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KenSatrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KenSatrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KenSatrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrgION03 View Post
I REALLY hope that's a chop..
It most certainly is - look at the front bumper: it's blurred and horribly shaded. My in-utero son could do a better 'chop.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:42 AM   #5
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Trend's article
By adding IRS to its last-generation Explorer, Ford caught GM off guard with three rows of seats. GM countered with the ugly, ill-handling GMT370s. But will Ford have to respond now to the Lambdas with a three-row Edge?

The Edge is about 185" long. The Lambdas are about 200" long. The Ford Freestyle-turned-Taurus X is about 200" long. Ford has the upcoming 3-row Flex (formerly Fairlane).
And yet, they wonder if Ford will have to counter the Lambdas with a 3-row Edge which is more than a foot shorter, when Ford already has a vehicle (possibly two) that has three rows and is sized like the Lambdas?

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:07 AM   #6
robertburns3
robertburns3 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Autoblog is reporting today that the new Chevy Lambda will be called the Nomad.

If it's less expensive than the other three, that's a good thing from my perspective. That said, I do think GM cannot keep itself from building too much of a good thing. They just cannot resist selling them as Chevys.

I just hope they differentiate it a little from the other three. Please?

Former Saturn salesperson...love the cars, hated the boss.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robertburns3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robertburns3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robertburns3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
BrightOutlook
BrightOutlook is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertburns3 View Post
... the new Chevy Lambda ...

If it's less expensive than the other three, that's a good thing ... just cannot resist selling them as Chevys.

I just hope they differentiate it a little from the other three. Please?
My six previous new cars were ALL Chevys, and the last, an '89 Celebrity Eurosport wagon, was incredibly reliable for the 18 years I kept it. Our 2001 Saturn wagon continues to be a fine little car. If there had been a 2007 Chevy wagon or Lambda, it would have been my first choice, because I could have gotten a better price.

If they want to keep the Chevy Lambda reasonably-priced, they should offer all the options individually. In the Saturn, I had to get leather seats and two different "convenience packages" to be able to get the one option I really wanted (the 2-memory power seats). Some people say I'll grow to like the leather, but it is an extravagance that doesn't appeal to my frugal nature. One shouldn't have to buy a whole XR package just to get fog lamps, etc., etc.

Let's hope the Outlook/Acadia and the Aura are just the first of MANY Great GM vehicles that will bring the US auto industry back up to where it belongs!

2007 Outlook XR FWD
Ocean Mist / Grey Int
Enhanced Convenience Pkg / HID

Over 5,000 miles already! Awesome ride. Love it!

Gorgeous! Gutsy! Glorious!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BrightOutlook's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BrightOutlook reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BrightOutlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:48 PM   #8
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiz View Post
http://www.motortrend.com/future/fut...rolet_outlook/

By Todd Lassa
• Saturn Outlook:Key component to moving the division upmarket (from Honda/Toyota competitor to an Acura-fighter) and into the middle of GM's lineup, where Olds used to be. Launches this fall.

On top of all this, the competition from the Asian brands is heating up. Over the next two to three years, major changes are due for the Toyota Highlander, Acura MDX, Honda Pilot, Nissan Murano, Infiniti FX 35/45, and 2009 Lexus RX.
Todd needs to put the Crack pipe down. If any in this group is to compete with the Acura, it would be the Acadia or the Enclave.

I really think this group as whole has to worry about anyone. They will dominate that group when the Chevy model comes on line. The Outlook is just allowing Saturn to be able to set at the table.

Good news for Saturn is they dont have to set out of this dance.

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:18 PM   #9
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMAN View Post
Todd needs to put the Crack pipe down. If any in this group is to compete with the Acura, it would be the Acadia or the Enclave.

I really think this group as whole has to worry about anyone. They will dominate that group when the Chevy model comes on line. The Outlook is just allowing Saturn to be able to set at the table.

Good news for Saturn is they dont have to set out of this dance.
Have you seen the Enclave? It is ugly as sin. Plus it has a Buick badge, something I wouldn't be caught dead buying. And how does the Acadia merit something the Outlook doesn't when they're essentially 99% the same vehicle? I think Todd is correct. Personally, Saturn is the only American brand I'd buy, thanks to the new line with the Outlook and Aura. I'd never buy a GMC.

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:27 AM   #10
mkaresh
Advanced Member
mkaresh is on a distinguished road

Many people love the looks of the Enclave. It'll be interesting to see how strong it launches.

It is hard to see why GMC got a Lambda before Chevrolet. I guess they were thinking "premium."

This article mentions replacements for the TB/Envoy. I thought that program was dead.

truedelta.com -- need more Saturns!
More useful reliability information -- first info on Aura and Outlook
Price comparisons, quick and thorough

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkaresh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:16 PM   #11
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
Many people love the looks of the Enclave. It'll be interesting to see how strong it launches.

True that. I just don't like the looks (ugly) of Buicks or the image (old, white-haired retiree soon to be on the news for pressing the gas when they thought it was the brake and drove through a store window killing innocent people).

Buick's expensive Tiger Woods campaign to bring youth and vigor to the Buick brand has been a flop, in my opinion. It is still the old folks car company.

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote