SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
meadows6
meadows6 is on a distinguished road

Default Fuel Gauge Problem: Update

Is anyone else having issues with the fuel gauge? They completely replaced all the components of mine from a new saturn on my second visit to the repair shop. But it is still doing it. It will read 1/4 of a tank, then the next morning it will be close to E. It takes forever for it to correct itself while I drive and sometimes it corrects itself if I restart the car.

Is this an issue with ALL Outlooks or does mine just have problems? Sometimes it's parked on an incline, but to change my fuel reading by a half tank and then not correct itself in a 30 minute drive doesn't seem right. Anyway, today was the third trip to the saturn service department and they told me its an issue that saturn doesn't have a fix for yet. By "yet" does that mean "ever"? Just wondering if ordering an entire new outlook will remedy this or if we are going to have the same problem with that one.

Note: The fuel gauge fluctuation doesn't only happen when parked uphill or downhill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to meadows6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help meadows6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
meadows6 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
twostirish222
twostirish222 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Fuel Gauge Problem: Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadows6 View Post
Is anyone else having issues with the fuel gauge? They completely replaced all the components of mine from a new saturn on my second visit to the repair shop. But it is still doing it. It will read 1/4 of a tank, then the next morning it will be close to E. It takes forever for it to correct itself while I drive and sometimes it corrects itself if I restart the car.

Is this an issue with ALL Outlooks or does mine just have problems? Sometimes it's parked on an incline, but to change my fuel reading by a half tank and then not correct itself in a 30 minute drive doesn't seem right. Anyway, today was the third trip to the saturn service department and they told me its an issue that saturn doesn't have a fix for yet. By "yet" does that mean "ever"? Just wondering if ordering an entire new outlook will remedy this or if we are going to have the same problem with that one.

Note: The fuel gauge fluctuation doesn't only happen when parked uphill or downhill
this is a known issue. search this forum and you will get a lot of your answers.

VUE 2008 XE FWD
Outlook XE 2007
VUE 2003
SL1 1991

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twostirish222's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twostirish222 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twostirish222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:20 PM   #3
meadows6

Umm I did search it. A few times actually. I was also the person that started the previous thread about the fuel guage problems in outlooks, but that thread is old and closed now.

Anyway, my question remains: Is this happening to most people? Are people just putting up with a fluctuating fuel guage? I don't want to return this outlook just to have the same problem with the next one. Maybe people's guage's don't fluctuate as much as mine and it's something they can ignore.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help meadows6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:38 PM   #4
mkuz13
Advanced Member
mkuz13 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

What all did they replace?

Want more gun control? Then use both hands.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkuz13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkuz13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkuz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:39 PM   #5
4time saturn fa
4time saturn fa is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.0L

i have also had similar problems with my gauge.....especially on a incline....but not as sever as you

Andrew!

2007XR outlook--FULLY loaded
2003 vue 3.0L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 4time saturn fa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 4time saturn fa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
4time saturn fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:45 PM   #6
meadows6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkuz13 View Post
What all did they replace?
The whole fuel tank. They took one from another new outlook on the lot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2007, 10:53 PM   #7
Gwenzilla
Gwenzilla is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.5L

I have had similar issue. The first time it happened I thought someone might have siphoned off my tank! On mine its on level ground, having never parked on an incline yet. If I put her to bed reading near a quarter tank, when I get in her in the morning she reads barely above empty on several occasions. I have kept track of how much I put in the tank after each occurance and it runs from 16 to 17 gallons, and utilizing my paltry math skills I figure that means there is still 5 to nearly six gallons still in the tank. If the tank holds 22 gals then that means just above empty on my gauge could actually be near a quarter of a tanks worth of gas still in her. I don't like to take chances however, so I'll keep filling her up at that point.

Saturn family stable:
- 2007 Outlook - AKA "Lambchop"
- 2003 Vue
- 2006 Ion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gwenzilla's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gwenzilla reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gwenzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
MatthewD102
MatthewD102 is on a distinguished road

Is anyone watching what the fuel range on the driver information center is indicating? is it consistant with the needle?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MatthewD102's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MatthewD102 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MatthewD102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:01 PM   #9
morpheus2969
morpheus2969 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewD102 View Post
Is anyone watching what the fuel range on the driver information center is indicating? is it consistant with the needle?

I have had this problem as well, specifically when on an incline. The DIC is consistently off with the fuel needle. The variance has been +/- 1/4 to 1/8 of a tank. I have had the low fuel indicator come on when I still have just under a quarter tank left.

"I have dreamed a dream, but now that dream is gone from me." - The Matrix Reloaded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to morpheus2969's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help morpheus2969 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
morpheus2969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #10
FalconXR
FalconXR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewD102 View Post
Yes. I have been tracking the gauge vs. Driving range and Gallons Used. On one instance I my Outlook ran out of fuel while the gals used indicated 19.6 gals, I was lucky that the Outlook happened to be in my driveway warming up when it happened. I had to walk my kids to school because they had already missed their bus.

The fuel gauge did show empty but the disturbing part was the gals used. I have been resetting each trip component at every filled and have been keeping a log as well; sometimes the gals used and mpg equal what have been put in and calculated but others they have been off. BTW, my driveway is flat and level.

Onstar came in handy and delivered $5 worth of gas, about 1.8 gals, and when I filled the tank it only took about 18 gals. What happened to the 22 gal tank????

Outlook XR AWD
Charcoal Gray
Black Leather w/ 2nd row Captain chairs
Loaded w/ everything but DVD and Nav

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FalconXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FalconXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FalconXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:17 PM   #11
meadows6

So the service department said that they had a lengthy discussion with Saturn and were told that this is an issue with ALL Outlooks. Saturn admitted that it doesn't just happen when parking on a hill. They also said it MAY correct itself by turning off the car and then turning it back on again. They are still working on a fix for this. They also said that it should correct itself within 9 miles of driving, well that hasn't been the case.

If some people aren't experiencing the problem it could be that it there are varying degrees.

I have also noticed that our tank is not 22 gallons, as far as I know anyway. When we are on E and feeling confident that it really is on E we fill to about 18 gallons too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-21-2007, 08:36 PM   #12
Boltbacker
Boltbacker is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

I have an Acadia and my wife has an Outlook and everyone here is correct, both of them show that it is on E and when I fill them up I have only been able to put in about 17 to 18 gal of gas. I wonder where the other 4 gal are going?

Danger: High Voltage!!!
07' XR FWD Ocean Mist, Grey Leather, everything else but Nav. Added 3M clear bra, tinted front windows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Boltbacker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Boltbacker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Boltbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:13 PM   #13
Gwenzilla

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.5L
Dizzy Re: Fuel Gauge Problem: Update

Quote:
They also said that it should correct itself within 9 miles of driving, well that hasn't been the case.
This morning the disappearing gas happened to me again, and instead of driving right to the gas station this time I drove to drop Spudzilla off at school, then up to my local coffee place to have a cup. It was still on empty there. So I drove to my local hardware store and when I finished shopping there I looked down and voila ! I now magically had just short of a quarter tank of gas showing on the gauge!
HHHHmmmmmmmm...... I guess I'll have to get used to this until Saturn decides to tackle this and get rid of these gremlins too.

Saturn family stable:
- 2003 Vue
- 2006 Ion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Gwenzilla reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-22-2007, 08:40 AM   #14
Blip
Blip is on a distinguished road

I've been following the fuel gauge and outside temp issues and haven't experienced either yet, but our Outlook is still under 300 total miles.
At the first,(and only fill-up so far), guage showed a bit less that 1/4 and pumped in 18+ gal.
I wonder if these issues are with every/most vehicles or just a specific VIN/build date sequence?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Blip's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Blip reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:07 PM   #15
WopOnTour
Advanced Member
WopOnTour is on a distinguished road

This is a normal operating characteristic for a modern electronic fuel gage. It may read abnormal if the engine is started as the vehicle sits on a slope. (the extent it will read greater or less than the remaining fuel volume depends somewhat on the slope itself of course)

This is pretty typical fuel level signal filtering, designed to keep the gage from fluctuating due to slosh or vehicle dynamic forces (e.g. braking/accelerating/cornering) It will slowly update over a few minutes of level road operation. The same thing would occur if you filled the fuel tank with the engine running or IGN ON. Once the tank is full the gage will not immediately reflect that, unless the existing IGN cycle is terminated and another commences.

If there's a reason why you need the gage to be instantly accurate (to check your level prior to a trip for instance) you would have to shut off your IGN for 10 seconds then restart ON A LEVEL SURFACE.

HTH
WopOnTour

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WopOnTour's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WopOnTour reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WopOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:48 PM   #16
MrBiz
MrBiz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WopOnTour View Post
If there's a reason why you need the gage to be instantly accurate (to check your level prior to a trip for instance) you would have to shut off your IGN for 10 seconds then restart ON A LEVEL SURFACE.
I live in Dallas, where everything is level and I experience the same problems. So, it's not necessarily as you stated.

Biz

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD
2004 Saturn ION 2
1996 Saturn SL 2
1992 Saturn SL 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrBiz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrBiz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:43 PM   #17
Gwenzilla

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiz View Post
....everything is level and I experience the same problems.....
Ditto

Saturn family stable:
- 2003 Vue
- 2006 Ion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #18
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So the service department said that they had a lengthy discussion with Saturn and were told that this is an issue with ALL Outlooks. Saturn admitted that it doesn't just happen when parking on a hill. They also said it MAY correct itself by turning off the car and then turning it back on again. They are still working on a fix for this. They also said that it should correct itself within 9 miles of driving, well that hasn't been the case.

If some people aren't experiencing the problem it could be that it there are varying degrees.

I have also noticed that our tank is not 22 gallons, as far as I know anyway. When we are on E and feeling confident that it really is on E we fill to about 18 gallons too.
I've noticed nothing odd about my gas gauge. Of course, I've just returned from two weeks of traveling (by air) on business, so I'll pay closer attention to the gas gauge thing this weekend.

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:04 PM   #19
WopOnTour
Advanced Member
WopOnTour is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiz View Post
I live in Dallas, where everything is level and I experience the same problems. So, it's not necessarily as you stated.
I was specifically referring to the original posters comments, (Sloped driveway) didn't read your comments so they might be something different all together. Sloped driveways aren't always geographical phenomena. I've seen people in apartment underground or other unlevel parking spaces make similar comments about other cars and trucks.
WOT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WopOnTour's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WopOnTour reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WopOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:35 PM   #20
meadows6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WopOnTour View Post
I was specifically referring to the original posters comments, (Sloped driveway) didn't read your comments so they might be something different all together. Sloped driveways aren't always geographical phenomena. I've seen people in apartment underground or other unlevel parking spaces make similar comments about other cars and trucks.
WOT
My earlier post stated that this does not only happen when parked on an incline. I can be on a completely level surface and experience the problem. It also does not always correct itself when turning the car on and off (again on a level surface). Saturn has admitted that all of what i just wrote is true.

My husband has a mercedes suv and it is parked on an incline - no fuel gauge problem. I've had an audi and a mini cooper prior to this saturn and again - no gas guage problems. These cars were parked exactly where I park my saturn every night. Having owned 6 different cars in the last ten years, I can say none have had an issue with their "modern electronic fuel gage". The last time we saw this issue was with a family members 1986 chevy suburban.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!