SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
dandydan
dandydan is on a distinguished road

Default Wheel Bearing Problem - '99 SC1

I've got a 1999 Saturn SC1 with 255,000 kms (approx 155,000 miles) with what appears to be a cooked front right wheel bearing. I believe the wheel bearing is going because there's an uncomfortably prominate buzz coming from somewhat that is related to vehicle speed, not engine RPM. Also, when I turn right (weight shifts left) it goes away but when I turn left (weight shifts right) it gets louder which I why I believe it's the right one. I believe it's the front right wheel bearing (as opposed to the rear right) because it sounds like it's coming from the front of the car.

I'm a bit of a cheapskake and somewhat mechanically inclined so I'm considering replacing this myself. If a few people could post up some advice and/or answer the following questions I'd really appreciate it.

1) Roughly how much is a new wheel bearing from an autoparts store/Canadian Tire?

2) How many shop hours would I be paying to have them replace this?

3) If I do it myself, I imagine I'll need to jack up the car and remove the wheel, rotor and caliper but what's next? Can I just unbolt the bearing from there?

4) Any more tips or is there a how-to guide somewhere?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dandydan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dandydan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dandydan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
Default Re: Wheel Bearing Problem - '99 SC1

dandydan...........replacing front wheel bearings on your car is a little bit involved.You either have to press out and in the bearings,or use this tool.I cannot tell you how much success you would have using this tool.Because i use the pressing method.

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...0705&nocache=1

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

Last edited by richpin06; 03-19-2007 at 12:14 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #3
dandydan

Thanks! I've been searching around this site for as much info as I can find and there was one thread where one guy (tacoguy) supposedly posted a guide with pics but it was on another forum and he just posted the now-defunct link here, so that was a dead end.

Right now it seems like I have three options (other than going to a shop)

1) Purchase the tool you linked too
2) Press the bearings in/out
3) Replace the larger piece that the bearing fits in (the name escapes me) as wolfman suggested in another thread.

My main concerns are cost and ease of doing. Can someone please give me rough cost estimates for each of these three options? Richpin, you mentioned you press the bearings in/out. What tool do you use to do that and why is it better worse than the tool you linked too? I imagine the appropriate press is more expensive? I'd like some help deciding which of these three options to pursue please so I need rough prices on each and some comments on the difficulty of each

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dandydan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
dandydan

I found a new 'Front Wheel Hub Bearing Assembly' on eBay for $75 + shipping. If I buy this I'll eliminate the bearing pressing and it'll be a much simpler job right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Satur...spagenameZWDVW

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

For you it seems the best route to take..............

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
dandydan

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your help....so once I get this part then the job is essentially:

1 - Jack up car
2 - Remove Wheel
3 - Remove Rotor/Caliper
4 - Unbolt old hub
5 - Bolt new hub on
6 - Reassemble

My only questions that I have left are:

1 - Is there any reason this job can't be accomplished with only this part plus a jack and a good socket set?

2 - Is allowing one Saturday afternoon for this job reasonable?

3 - This eBay listing says "This unit comes complete with ABS Sensor (if applicable)" and my Saturn SC1 is a non-ABS model. Is this going to be a problem?

Thanks a lot

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #7
richpin06

1998 SL2

Just state to them that your car is non-ABS.Job is very doable in a afternoon with the tools you have.Just make sure you have this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30 mm axle socket.jpg (25.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 30mm socket 2.jpg (27.3 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by richpin06; 03-19-2007 at 01:55 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2007, 02:13 PM   #8
dandydan

Thanks...I'll contact them.

Looks like I'll need to go pick up a 30mm socket too....my socket set only goes up to 23mm. Hopefully I can get a 30mm socket in 3/8" drive or I'll be needing a new handle too. Are the torque spec's for these bolts available somewhere?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2007, 08:00 AM   #9
dandydan

The eBay seller got back to me and said that this hub will work with either model (ABS or non-ABS). I guess I'll order one and see how this goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2007, 09:08 AM   #10
jmd1
jmd1 is on a distinguished road

just did clutch in 98 sl. had to pull axles and did not have deep 30 mm. picked up metric deep set up to 33mm for around $15 at local elcheepo store. they are warranty for life and seem more than enough for around home. you will probably need 1/2 drive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmd1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmd1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:21 AM   #11
dandydan

Okay thanks! I'll pick up a deep 30mm socket and probably just borrow the handle from my bro. The longer handle will probably come in handy anyways.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2007, 12:16 PM   #12
180 FT/LBS.
180 FT/LBS. is on a distinguished road

Question Re: Wheel Bearing Problem - '99 SC1

Um, am I missing something here? Is a '99 SC1 that much different from a '98 SW1? There's more to it than just getting a 30mm deep well socket, no?

I thought to replace the front wheel bearings on these models, (paraphrasing)one has to:
1.) Remove Hub from Steering Knuckle.

2.) Press old bearing out of Steering Knuckle.

3.) Remove old inner bearing race from Hub.

4.) Supporting the steering knuckle properly, press new bearing into steering knuckle.

5.) Supporting the inner race of the new bearing, press Hub into Steering Knuckle.

Now this is a condensed version of what I think is the correct procedure. You need the correct sized arbors and a torque wrench. The drive shaft nut goes on at 148 Ft/lbs., which is snug....

If I'm all wet, please, speak up. Thanks, good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 180 FT/LBS.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 180 FT/LBS. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
180 FT/LBS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #13
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180 FT/LBS. View Post
Um, am I missing something here? Is a '99 SC1 that much different from a '98 SW1? There's more to it than just getting a 30mm deep well socket, no?

I thought to replace the front wheel bearings on these models, (paraphrasing)one has to:
1.) Remove Hub from Steering Knuckle.

2.) Press old bearing out of Steering Knuckle.

3.) Remove old inner bearing race from Hub.

4.) Supporting the steering knuckle properly, press new bearing into steering knuckle.

5.) Supporting the inner race of the new bearing, press Hub into Steering Knuckle.

Now this is a condensed version of what I think is the correct procedure. You need the correct sized arbors and a torque wrench. The drive shaft nut goes on at 148 Ft/lbs., which is snug....

If I'm all wet, please, speak up. Thanks, good luck!
Add that the knuckle has to be off the car first, and you are spot on. Especially the part about using the CORRECT ARBORS.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:41 PM   #14
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Maybe the sale is for the complete hub/knuckle assembly, including the bearing. Alas, there's "no photo availabe" (an eBay red flag, BTW).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:56 PM   #15
180 FT/LBS.
180 FT/LBS. is on a distinguished road

Dazed Re: Wheel Bearing Problem - '99 SC1

Thanks, Wolfman. I hope DandyDan sees the rest of this thread, and finds out the "rest of the story", before he begins disassembly.

I've been there, done that, and bought the tee-shirt. I do not assume jack-squat. Why? Here's one example: AutoZone says they have the new hubs and bearings. I ask them if they rent out a front bearing/hub replacement tool kit.

"Why, yes, we do! It's Bla-bla- $$$$$$". Fine, great. Something nags me about this whole mess.

I go to AZ and look at their front bearing/hub replacement tool kit. It's a ball-joint removal/installation kit. I'm hardly surprised.

I'm not out to bash any part-counter people...their job probably pays minimum, and they are not mechanics. Their job is to sell parts, and to wander off and eat lunch, leaving you standing there scratching yer head...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 180 FT/LBS.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 180 FT/LBS. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
180 FT/LBS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:43 PM   #16
richpin06

1998 SL2

DandyDan........the part you were looking at on eBay 'Front Wheel Hub Bearing Assembly'..... was listed as part #BCA51200 which is a part number for a rear Wheel Hub Bearing Assembly.....not a front

Last edited by richpin06; 03-20-2007 at 01:53 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2007, 02:07 PM   #17
richpin06

1998 SL2

DandyDan...........if you get a complete hub/ bearing/ knuckle assembly like you were looking for. I believe you can still get the job done like you were planning .

Last edited by richpin06; 03-20-2007 at 02:13 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #18
dandydan

Wow...thanks for the sudden outpouring of posts. Luckily I haven't ordered anything yet. I'm gonna message that seller and ask him why the part # is for the rear wheel, for a pic and see if it includes the knuckle assembly.

Thanks a lot guys!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #19
dandydan

Okay I waiting to hear back from the eBay seller. Assuming he responds saying it's the front hub, it includes the knuckle and he sends me a picture, then I'll post the picture on here for you guys to diagnose.

If this doesn't come with the knuckle this job sounds over my head but if it does, then is it fairly straightforward?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #20
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

I just went through most of this, I haven't found anyone selling an assembled kit including the knuckle. There is a hub kit for the front but when I looked at it the bearing wasn't even assembled to the hub. I had a hydraulic press and I was able to do it without much problem. The order I did it was press out hub first, then bearing from the knuckle. I assembled the bearing to the knuckle first and then pressed in the hub. (Don't put the bearing on the hub first, which is probably why the kit isn't assembled)

If you don't have a press you can take the knuckle off and bring the assembly to a shop to do the pressing. This should save some money.

You'll probably need an alignment afterward.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote