SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2007, 06:17 PM   #1
Kaya
Kaya is on a distinguished road

Default Very Low Gas Mileage!

Hi there. I know there have been numerous discussions around the true gas mileage of the oulook. We are on 700 miles and are still averaging as low as 15.1 mi/gallon! I understand that mileage has increased for most over time, but is this "normal"? Have those of you who are now getting 19 and 20 mi/gal started off this low? Is this worthy of mentioning when I bring it for a service call?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaya's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaya reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaya is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #2
MrBiz
MrBiz is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Very Low Gas Mileage!

Kaya, that is about what I got before I went on an extended trip. After my car had about 1K mikes things started to improve. I got as high as 23.8 during a long trip.

Biz

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD
2004 Saturn ION 2
1996 Saturn SL 2
1992 Saturn SL 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrBiz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrBiz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:30 PM   #3
Gwenzilla
Gwenzilla is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.5L

My last four fill-ups have produced the following MPG

I have about 1,650 miles on the odometer and do about 80% highway and 20% city driving. I am hoping my averages go up too, I was looking for about 21 - 22 MPG when I decided to buy an Outlook, and so far it hasn't lived up to this expectation.

Saturn family stable:
- 2007 Outlook - AKA "Lambchop"
- 2003 Vue
- 2006 Ion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gwenzilla's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gwenzilla reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gwenzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:31 PM   #4
page2171
page2171 will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't stress out about it yet for a couple of reasons. 1.) It is winter where you are, right? When I lived in WI I always got worse gas mileage in the winter. 2.) The engine isn't broken in yet. I know it is a completely different car, but the mileage in my '04 Malibu kept going up until I got to about 20k miles. Since I hit about 20k, my mileage has leveled out. I'm not an expert on these things, but this is just my experience.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to page2171's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help page2171 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
page2171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:33 AM   #5
Kaya

Thank you all for your feedback! I can rest a little easier now, knowing things will improve. We are going on a road trip this upcoming weekend- maybe that help us break out of the 15's! (and yes, it is winter where we are and still rather cold!) Thanks again for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaya's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaya reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2007, 07:04 PM   #6
Outlook IL
Outlook IL is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE

We are also waiting for our to go up as well. We have had similar mpg's as Gwenzilla. Once or twice we have gotten over 20 MPG.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Outlook IL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Outlook IL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Outlook IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:55 AM   #7
Kaya

Okay, trying to be patient.... We are steadily declining in MPG Now, we are down to 14.8 MPG. We were told that during winter months, many times there are additives in the gas that result in less mileage. I hope things start to change for the better.

Besides the gas issue, she's been great. The whole family is loving her comfort, style and awe factor! The dealership has been good to us as well. When we purchased the car, were told that the vechicle came equipt with wireless headphone system. They ordered the headphones special for us, but I brought it back in because they did not work. They discovered that the transmitter that was needed for the system, was not on that car. They are installiing it for us, free of charge. I had a rental while they were doing the work and picked up my daughter at school in the rental. When she got in the rental, she started crying! She thought I traded Sassy for the ION...kids are funny.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaya's Reputation
Old 03-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #8
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

More bad news. May 06 mark the change of Gasoline formulation (10% ethanol instead of MTBE) which in short means that all car are getting less per gallon than they were this time last year. Places like California, Chicago, and Atlanta, won't see the effect because there gas was already meeting those standard and using a similar formulation.

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:29 PM   #9
kjf
kjf is on a distinguished road

I have an Acadia, but I think my experience is relevant. I have found this vehicle to be very sensitive to speed. It loves steady driving at 35 mph and above. At 40 mph on a highway with few stoplights, I get mpg well into the 20s. I find the same on the interstate at 65. However, my regular drive to work is only about 4 miles at 25-30 mph, with a lot of stop signs and stop lights. On that short stop-and-go route, I get about 14 mpg. Engine warm-up (or the lack thereof) may also play a role.

Kelly

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kjf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kjf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:48 PM   #10
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Wow... Try a few more pounds of air in the tires. I run with 40 pounds (hot) in my VUE's 18" Turanza tires and it really pays off in mileage, and handles better.

Switch to synthetic oil on your first change. Royal Purple synthetic could possibly give you 1-2 mpg more.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:27 PM   #11
mkaresh
Advanced Member
mkaresh is on a distinguished road

With a heavy vehicle like this one, the number of complete stops will make a big difference.

I haven't checked to see how many Outlook and Acadia owners have responded, but you can check the results of my site's real-world fuel economy survey:

Real-world fuel economy survey results

Based on one member's suggestion, I recently added use of remote start to the survey. Did you let the Outlook idle for a few minutes each morning? That will have an impact, especially in cold weather.

truedelta.com -- need more Saturns!
More useful reliability information -- first info on Aura and Outlook
Price comparisons, quick and thorough

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkaresh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #12
USN78
USN78 is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2007 Outlook XR

I believe there is light at the end of the tunnel. We just reached 1500 miles and getting 18/19 mpg average. Our driving is about 30% city and 70% highway at 78-80 mphr. When we first got the vehicle we were getting 15/16 mpg. Take all this in consideration that my wife has a lead foot. I read on the real world fuel economy site that break in for mpg is 3000 mi.

---
07 Outlook XR AWD Silver Pearl
Black Leather w/ Capt. Chairs
Convenience
Enhanced Convenience
Touring/Trailoring
Advanced Audio w/ XM/DVD
Dual Sunroof's/HIDs
---
03 L300 Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to USN78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help USN78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
USN78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:02 AM   #13
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Startup and moving from idle are the two biggest drains on your gas mileage. The EPA estimates should be taken with a grain of salt, as your driving will hardly mimic that of the EPA test.

For instance, my AURA was getting a steady 20mpg mostly highway; the EPA test says I should be getting 28mpg. My commute included a whole 5 miles of highway and 5 minutes of idling every morning to overcome sub-zero temps during the winter. 20mpg is actually better than I expected. Since changing my route to work (stupid construction ) and having a nice warm spell pass through, I'm up to 22-23mpg on 35-50mph backroads vs. straight 70mph highway previously.

How, where, and when you drive have a large impact on your fuel economy. You MPG numbers, I'd say, are par for the course.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:01 PM   #14
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Okay, I'm going to be the crotchety old man here, or the voice of reason, depending on one's viewpoint, but why is everybody so obssessed about 1-2 MPG shifts in the mileage of their Outlook? If it doesn't increase another 2 or 3 MPG are you going to trade it in? Beat your kids? File suit?

I for one didn't buy the Outlook based on my gas mileage. Sure, I want a vehicle with good gas mileage, but I laughed at the 17/24 on the window sticker the first time I saw it.

If the Outlook averages in the high teens, I'll be thrilled. If it doesn't, I'll still be thrilled. As long as it doesn't get down into Hummer2/Excursion territory, I don't really care, because I'm not going to trade it in for several years.

So why obsess about MPG? If I was that fussy, I would not have purchased a 5,000 pound vehicle in the first place.

I don't think I've ever not purchased a vehicle I wanted because of gas mileage or gave it any thought after purchase in my entire life. It amazes me that people are obsessing 1-3 mpg. I just don't believe American brands ever give you what's advertised in the MPG department anyway.

Now, my Nissan Altima V6 advertised 27 highway. I've consistenly gotten 27-29 on the highway WITH 94 OCTANE GAS! But that's the Japanese for you.

Saturn is a GM vehicle and we all knew it before we bought it. Enjoy your cars, but please stop obsessing about gas mileage. You're not going to trade in your Outlook any time soon no matter what mileage it gets, so forget about it and drive.

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:09 PM   #15
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlainsman View Post
I don't think I've ever not purchased a vehicle I wanted because of gas mileage or gave it any thought after purchase in my entire life. It amazes me that people are obsessing 1-3 mpg. I just don't believe American brands ever give you what's advertised in the MPG department anyway.

Now, my Nissan Altima V6 advertised 27 highway. I've consistenly gotten 27-29 on the highway WITH 94 OCTANE GAS! But that's the Japanese for you.
Actually, with GM's OHV engines it has been possible to meet the EPA ratings. It actually usually seems to be the other way around--American brands would be a bit more likely to meet the ratings. The idea of getting EPA ratings in the first place in any car has been unlikely until the new 2008 tests. How many people drive at 55 mph on the highway with windows up and without air conditioning on?

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:02 PM   #16
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp326 View Post
Actually, with GM's OHV engines it has been possible to meet the EPA ratings. It actually usually seems to be the other way around--American brands would be a bit more likely to meet the ratings. The idea of getting EPA ratings in the first place in any car has been unlikely until the new 2008 tests. How many people drive at 55 mph on the highway with windows up and without air conditioning on?
True. But I can say that I've consistently gotten the estimated MPG on my Nissan with windows up and air conditioning on, with 94 Octane gas and driving at speeds significantly over the speed limit for sustained periods of time (hours). It's the best damn car I ever bought. I actually drove from Minneapolis to Chicago at high speed on a single tank of 93 octane gas in that car. Seven hours. NO STOPS for gas. One stop for mother nature. Averaging 75 mph and only slowing up at the EZ Pass tolls in Illinois. A 250 HP, high torque engine. It was amazing. I rolled into Chicago on fumes but I made it. What a car!

I can only imagine that the more common 4-cylinder, 175 HP version is even better (on gas). That car made me abandon American brands until GM came out with the Lambda platform. If the Aura XR even comes close to being as good as the V6 Altima, I'll buy one next year--if Saturn makes a Nav system an option .

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:32 AM   #17
Spanky
Spanky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I agree with your attitude on the MPG. If that is a high priority then you probably shouldn't be driving a vehicle as large as the Outlook. I think your statement about 'the Japanese' is totally bogus though. The mileage posted on the window sticker is determined by an EPA test. It's the same test for all cars. The manufacturer does not determine the numbers. By the way, show me a 5,000 lb Japanese vehicle that gets better mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spanky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spanky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:06 PM   #18
Kaya

Let me clarify things...As I posted, I love my car and have very little complaints. Obviously, my trying to gather as much information as I could about the MPG has hit a sore spot with many, which was not my intent. One would assume that mileage in the high teens would be typical of a vechilcle of this weight and size. I was merely trying to understand the difference of my mileage compared to those claiming to get in the 20's.

Thankyou to those who took the time to explain how driving behaviors (ie, idiling, stops, city driving) makes such a difference in how much gas is consumed. I

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaya's Reputation
Old 03-27-2007, 02:48 PM   #19
outlook7j100001
outlook7j100001 is on a distinguished road

Some great responses and info in this thread! Real bottom line is, as Einstein said, "it's all relative"! Relative to truck based mid sized vehicles you can probably expect 2-3 mpg better with your Outlook, relative to truck based full sized vehicles you can probably expect 4-5 mpg better under THE SAME DRIVING CONDITIONS. If you came from a mini van you may see 1-2 less. As one of the above posters indicated...this vehicle LOVES steady state speeds from 45-65. I've heard of mileages over 26mpg for that kind of driving. Add a couple of stop and goes or speed up and mileage drops quickly. Remember at stop/idle your MPG is exactly 0! I get a pretty regular 20-21mpg with a mix of about 30%city, 70% highway with a highway speed of about 75mph. Finally, remember the government test schedules were set back in the day of 55mph speed limits on the freeway. For 2008, you'll see all the mileage ratings change (drop) since the law has been revised to account for the higher speed limits. The car will get the same mileage...but the stickers will show lower numbers. You can also reset your DIC mileage periodically. The system keeps information over a long period of time...so responses to instantaneous changes are slow!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to outlook7j100001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help outlook7j100001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
outlook7j100001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #20
SaturnVUE04
SaturnVUE04 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't doubt that you got that mileage, but normally I've seen the opposite with the advertised vs actual mileage in foreign vs. American cars. My sister got worse mileage in her 2002 4cyl accord (22mpg) than I get in my 4 cyl VUE (25mpg). My hypothesis is this: Japanese engines generally produce max horsepower and torque at high rpms, thus, during the EPA cycle they probably are not being revved above 2500, saving fuel for the thrifty Japenese engines, yet barely moving. Maybe I'm wrong
-Joe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnVUE04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnVUE04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnVUE04 is offline   Reply With Quote