SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
USN78
USN78 is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2007 Outlook XR
Default PROBLEMS......Am I Alone?????

On the way home from picking up my daughter from school my remote vehicle start did not work. Figuring it was something I did wrong I tryed it again when I got home, still no go. Sounds like it wants to start but does not turn over. On top of this my emissions check light came on. I called On Star to do a diagnostic on the vehicle and they said it was something about my emissions were being prevented or reduced from leaving the car. Checked gas cap, I did not put fuel in recently but did on the other hand get the transmission software recall done about 5 days ago. Transmission or emission modifications occording to the vehicle hand book are all possible factors that could cause the steady, not flashing, light that I am experiencing. Am I alone with these problems Outlook or Acadia owners????? I hope this is not going to turn into my XL7 which I traded in. That vehicle was a nightmare.......

---
07 Outlook XR AWD Silver Pearl
Black Leather w/ Capt. Chairs
Convenience
Enhanced Convenience
Touring/Trailoring
Advanced Audio w/ XM/DVD
Dual Sunroof's/HIDs
---
03 L300 Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to USN78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help USN78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
USN78 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
kyad12
kyad12 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Default Re: PROBLEMS......Am I Alone?????

I have only had mine a day now but I do remember the Saturn rep telling me the doors had to be locked in order for the remote start to work. The rep demonstrated it for me in the showroom, but I haven't used it yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kyad12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kyad12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kyad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:11 PM   #3
USN78

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyad12 View Post
I have only had mine a day now but I do remember the Saturn rep telling me the doors had to be locked in order for the remote start to work. The rep demonstrated it for me in the showroom, but I haven't used it yet.
I appreciate the reply....However I made sure the doors were shut and locked. Not to mention you have to hit the lock button first and then hold down the remote start button for four seconds. The lights flash like they usually do just before it starts but nothing happens......I hope the emmissions light is not a serious thing either.

---
Convenience
Enhanced Convenience
Touring/Trailoring
Advanced Audio w/ XM/DVD
Dual Sunroof's/HIDs
---
03 L300 Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help USN78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2007, 10:26 PM   #4
Gwenzilla
Gwenzilla is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.5L

w a r r a n t e e

bummer !

Saturn family stable:
- 2007 Outlook - AKA "Lambchop"
- 2003 Vue
- 2006 Ion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gwenzilla's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gwenzilla reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gwenzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #5
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

The problems could be related. The service engine light may be disabling the remote start feature.

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:17 PM   #6
USN78

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeagle1 View Post
The problems could be related. The service engine light may be disabling the remote start feature.
Possible but I noticed the remote start not working before the light came on. That might be the cause for the light.....

---
Convenience
Enhanced Convenience
Touring/Trailoring
Advanced Audio w/ XM/DVD
Dual Sunroof's/HIDs
---
03 L300 Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2007, 11:17 AM   #7
ed nunez
ed nunez is on a distinguished road

From GM's service info:

Remote Vehicle Start Inoperative
Diagnostic Instructions
Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.

Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of each diagnostic approach.

Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.

Circuit/System Description
Remote vehicle start (RVS) begins as an RF message received by the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) from a keyless entry transmitter. The RVS request is sent by the RCDLR to the body control module (BCM) via serial data. The BCM monitors system conditions such as content theft deterrent (CTD), hood ajar status, and body DTCs to determine if an RVS even will occur. If conditions are determined to be acceptable, the RVS message is sent to the engine control module (ECM). The ECM monitors system conditions such as engine control parameters and vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) to determine if engine starting will be allowed. If conditions are acceptable, the ECM will initiate engine starting. During the engine run time in a RVS attempt, before the operator enters the vehicle, the ECM may discontinue engine operation if system conditions require it or a message is received from the BCM requesting the engine be turned OFF.

Diagnostic Aids
The RVS system will not operate if any of the following conditions are present:

The vehicle is in valet mode.

More than 2 remote starts have been attempted.

The hazard switch is in the ON position.

A current hazard switch DTC is set.

The vehicle hood is ajar.

A current hood ajar DTC is set.

The CTD system detects an alarm trigger.

Excessive engine RPM

Excessive coolant temperature

Accelerator pedal position greater than 0 percent

Vehicle not in park

Vehicle theft deterrent malfunction

A current automatic transmission shift lock control system DRC is set.

A vehicle speed sensor signal is detected by the ECM.

A current vehicle DTC that illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL)

The last line is key: if the CEL - Check engine Light is on no remote start will be allowed until the cause has been diagnosed and the DTC cleared.

Ed Nunez
2007 Outlook XR FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ed nunez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ed nunez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ed nunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:09 PM   #8
Gwenzilla
Gwenzilla is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.5L

Now that is a great example of a detailed answer to a question !! Answers to questions like this is why I am so glad we discovered this website

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed nunez View Post
From GM's service info:

Diagnostic Instructions
Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.

Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.

Remote vehicle start (RVS) begins as an RF message received by the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) from a keyless entry transmitter. The RVS request is sent by the RCDLR to the body control module (BCM) via serial data. The BCM monitors system conditions such as content theft deterrent (CTD), hood ajar status, and body DTCs to determine if an RVS even will occur. If conditions are determined to be acceptable, the RVS message is sent to the engine control module (ECM). The ECM monitors system conditions such as engine control parameters and vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) to determine if engine starting will be allowed. If conditions are acceptable, the ECM will initiate engine starting. During the engine run time in a RVS attempt, before the operator enters the vehicle, the ECM may discontinue engine operation if system conditions require it or a message is received from the BCM requesting the engine be turned OFF.

Diagnostic Aids

Excessive engine RPM

Vehicle not in park

The last line is key: if the CEL - Check engine Light is on no remote start will be allowed until the cause has been diagnosed and the DTC cleared.

Saturn family stable:
- 2007 Outlook - AKA "Lambchop"
- 2003 Vue
- 2006 Ion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gwenzilla's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gwenzilla reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gwenzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
N9GUX
N9GUX is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

What is valet mode and how do you enter it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to N9GUX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help N9GUX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
N9GUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:40 PM   #10
USN78

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed nunez View Post
From GM's service info:

Diagnostic Instructions

Diagnostic Aids

Excessive engine RPM

Vehicle not in park

Awsome info, It just so happens I took it by the dealership and they hooked my vehicle up for a diagnostic check and found that emmisions were escaping from the vehicle. They figured it was the gas cap. They cleared the code and warning light went away and "poof" the remote vehicle start worked. Told me to keep an eye on the light to return and if that happened they would have to do a "blow test". Thanks for the info again. Definately will be kept in mind for the future.

---
Convenience
Enhanced Convenience
Touring/Trailoring
Advanced Audio w/ XM/DVD
Dual Sunroof's/HIDs
---
03 L300 Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2007, 01:10 AM   #11
WopOnTour
Advanced Member
WopOnTour will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9GUX View Post
The above posted text is sort of a "generic" RVS (Remote Vehicle Start) description from GM's electronic service information system.An identical description is basically found in the Description and Operation electronic document for ANY 2007 GM vehicle equipped with RVS. The reference to "Valet mode" is always qualified with the statement "if equipped".

The use of a valet switch (usually in a lockable glove box) can prevent the passive arming of the content theft deterrent,inhibit certain features, and even limit available power at the engine via the electronic throttle controls.To the best of my knowledge the 2007 Outlook and Acadia do not have an available valet switch (although there was some unofficial on-line banter that the Buick Enclave just might have it)

This feature is not to be confused with having a "valet key" cut. These special key blanks (available for purchase at the parts dept ) are identified with a GREY rubber head. Once the transponder for a valet key is "learned" into the immobilizer security system- the valet key will allow normal access and operation to the vehicle, BUT will NOT be able to be used to reprogram any NEW keys in "New Key Learn Mode" as outlined in your owners manual. That way if you give some unscrupulous person (valets are generally of an unknown character) your "valet" key, they could not just go and get another key cut in order to steal your vehicle later. You can learn up to 10 keys (regular and/or valet) into the immobilizer system.For more info on learning new keys you can refer to the PassKey 3+ information in your owners manual.

HTH
WopOnTour

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WopOnTour's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WopOnTour reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WopOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:06 AM   #12
grambo
grambo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9GUX View Post
First, you have to get one of those little vests....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to grambo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help grambo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
grambo is offline   Reply With Quote