SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2007, 11:07 AM   #1
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2
Default Muffler Strap

On all 3 of my Saturns, the muffler strap is broken and the exhaust pipe is riding on the rear cross member. I bought a new strap from Saturn but it is too big for the aftermarket muffler on one of the cars and doesn't quite fit on the old OEM muffler because it has swelled from corrosion. There does not appear to any problem except the occasional thumping noise when going over bumps. Should I continue to run this way or should I find some way to hang the muffler?

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
FrozenPilot
FrozenPilot is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Default Re: Muffler Strap

I wish I had your problem right now.

If you can put up with it, there isn't much harm to your exhaust, but you will have wear from the rubbing of the exhaust. I can't remember much about the OE exhaust strap, maybe just a longer bolt is needed. There are many tried and true ways of rigging up the exhaust.

Its all about the coffee...

'06 Mazda 6i & '95 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FrozenPilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FrozenPilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FrozenPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Yeah, a lot of aftermarket mufflers are either larger or smaller than OEM, and you usually have to buy the strap from the same manufacturer, for it to match. My strap failed a few years ago. Bought the strap from the dealer, to match the OEM muffler. Then, of course, the muffler cr@pped out about 6 months later. Dealer muffler was a gazillion dollars. Cheapo galvanized aftermarket muffler was bigger than OEM. Walker stainless muffler was smaller, but at least it had a lifetime warranty. So I bought it, and folded up a bunch of aluminum soda/beer cans to fill in the space between the strap and the muffler. Another trick mentioned here on SF, if the muffler is smaller than the strap, is simply to "pull" the strap tight enough to hold the muffler tightly, mark on the strap where it lines up with the hole with the female threads, drill a new hole in the strap, and put the bolt through it. It's kinda like putting another hole in your belt for the buckle after losing weight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
SonnyD
Advanced Member
SonnyD is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1

My muffler was fine when my strap rusted through....couldn't get one anywhere except from dealer....and that was BIG bucks.....Just had the shop cut the stock muffler off, and put on a Magna Flow Stainless for not much more then the dealer wanted for the stock Strap!
Regards Sonny

I LOVE MY SATURN!!!!
99 SC1 "Marvin"
2007 Harley FLHX "Street Glide"
Fender 50's Strat...The Guitar That Put the "Rock" in Rock&Roll

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SonnyD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SonnyD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SonnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:34 AM   #5
entheos
entheos is on a distinguished road

You could always hang the outlet of the muffler to the bumper bracket with a couple of worm clamps (that's what my used car dealer did to mine) and instead of a thump you would hear a squeak!
But as madpogue said, you must get a ~$15 aftermarket clamp that matches the aftermarket muffler. In my case, I ditched the perfectly fine existing aftermarket muffler for the above combination and it is silent. It was the easiest exhaust work I have ever done and it also helps to quiet Honda owners who ride with you from commenting about rattletrap domestic cars and how all domestic car owners must have their mechanic ride shotgun everywhere we go!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to entheos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help entheos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
entheos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:48 PM   #6
steve-o
steve-o is on a distinguished road

1996 SL
2000 SL1

i got a universal clamp with rubber and metal hanger thing. bent the metal tail part so it fit over one of the rear bumper mounting bolts (inside) then clamped the clamp to the muffler outlet (aftermarket). it's been about 1 year without any problems.. i was expecting some as the rubber isolator has some bendy stress on it and the metal is just a friction fit but no problems so far...

1996 sl - 2/08/09 221k miles, gave car away to friend.

Life is too short to drink wimpy chocolate milk.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steve-o's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steve-o reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steve-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:56 PM   #7
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeagle1 View Post
On all 3 of my Saturns, the muffler strap is broken and the exhaust pipe is riding on the rear cross member. I bought a new strap from Saturn but it is too big for the aftermarket muffler on one of the cars and doesn't quite fit on the old OEM muffler because it has swelled from corrosion. There does not appear to any problem except the occasional thumping noise when going over bumps. Should I continue to run this way or should I find some way to hang the muffler?
get a strap from AutoZone or Pep Boys or Murrays or Advance Auto Parts. they have some that you adjust to fit whatever. Or you can poke a new hole in the Saturn strap to make it fit a smaller than stock muffler like I did when I had a Dynomax Super Turbo on my 2002 SC2

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:44 PM   #8
2000satty2
2000satty2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SL2

Thats funny today I had to deal w/ the strap. I had used a piece of wire just to hold it up tight which worked fine & you couldn't see it. Before this when I turned the car off/on you could hear it rattle around for a sec. Well anyways I went & got the car inspected today & they failed it because of the wire. Guess it's illegal in MO. Which is f ucking stupid. They said they could make a strap for $40. I was in a hurry & said go for it. Today was my only day to get this done. Well it comes out & I go look & it's just a "c" shaped clamp thing connected to another one. He says that look ok ? I said no & I'm not paying $40 for that. He just stood there & looked @ me for a second like I just spoke some other language. Then I said really, I'm not paying $40 for that then he goes well I guess I can waive the inspection fee. So I paid $25 for this ugliness. Doesn't matter much anywho here soon I'll replace the whole muffler & exhaust. All my other Saturns had this problem & the wire works great & is unvisable. I hate stupid laws.

2003 Regal GS ~ 280 lb ft of torque anyone? =D
2000 SL-2 5-speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2000satty2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2000satty2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2000satty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:50 PM   #9
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000satty2 View Post
Well anyways I went & got the car inspected today & they failed it because of the wire. .... They said they could make a strap for $40.
When your state's laws allow the people doing the inspection to also do the repairs needed to pass the inspection, it's called a racket. Generally, racketeering is illegal. Unless, of course, it's sanctioned by the state.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:57 PM   #10
2000satty2
2000satty2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SL2

Yeah who knows, it was @ Midas & they do work on mufflers/exhausts

2003 Regal GS ~ 280 lb ft of torque anyone? =D
2000 SL-2 5-speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2000satty2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2000satty2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2000satty2 is offline   Reply With Quote