SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
MrBiz
MrBiz is on a distinguished road

Default Changing Navigation System Speed Settings.

Does anyone know if there is a way to reset the default highway speed/driving settings on the NAV system?

While on a trip, the GPS seems to calculate your time to arrival based upon a speed setting of 60MPH. This is not real practical for highway trips. I know that my former Garmin GPS allowed you to set your default speeds for the different type of roads you travelled. And, it calculated your arrival time with a lot of accuracy.

Biz

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD
2004 Saturn ION 2
1996 Saturn SL 2
1992 Saturn SL 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrBiz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrBiz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2007, 04:50 AM   #2
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Changing Navigation System Speed Settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiz View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way to reset the default highway speed/driving settings on the NAV system?

While on a trip, the GPS seems to calculate your time to arrival based upon a speed setting of 60MPH. This is not real practical for highway trips. I know that my former Garmin GPS allowed you to set your default speeds for the different type of roads you travelled. And, it calculated your arrival time with a lot of accuracy.
Haven't tried to adjust that and probably won't. Isn't there something in the Nav manual? You should have a separate Nav manual.

My Garmin portable always works perfectly for time of arrival. At the start of the trip it may calculate "estimated" time of arrival based on an average speed, but it adjusts depending on position of the vehicle on the road as detected by satellite. Doesn't the Saturn Nav adjust for vehicle position and distance from destination point? If you go faster or slower or get stuck in traffic, arrival time should adjust on the fly, anyway. If so, there is not reason to change the average speed to account for different kinds of roads.

Maybe I'm missing your point. Sorry if I am. I haven't used the Saturn Nav system much cause I've yet to take my Outlook on a trip. My Nav use won't start until next month. Just trying to help.

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:07 AM   #3
MrBiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlainsman View Post
Haven't tried to adjust that and probably won't. Isn't there something in the Nav manual? You should have a separate Nav manual.

My Garmin portable always works perfectly for time of arrival. At the start of the trip it may calculate "estimated" time of arrival based on an average speed, but it adjusts depending on position of the vehicle on the road as detected by satellite. Doesn't the Saturn Nav adjust for vehicle position and distance from destination point? If you go faster or slower or get stuck in traffic, arrival time should adjust on the fly, anyway. If so, there is not reason to change the average speed to account for different kinds of roads.

Maybe I'm missing your point. Sorry if I am. I haven't used the Saturn Nav system much cause I've yet to take my Outlook on a trip. My Nav use won't start until next month. Just trying to help.
You are correct, and that's my point..... It does not appear to adjust the arrival time based upon speed actually travelled. It does make an estimate of the arrival time, but I watched it closely during the trip. It was estimating an arrival based upon travelling 60MPH. My average was over 75MPH.

I've read the NAV manual and did not see anything that would address this.

I hope I've overlooked something and someone has the answer.

Biz

2004 Saturn ION 2
1996 Saturn SL 2
1992 Saturn SL 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MrBiz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member

Quote:
You are correct, and that's my point..... It does not appear to adjust the arrival time based upon speed actually travelled. It does make an estimate of the arrival time, but I watched it closely during the trip. It was estimating an arrival based upon travelling 60MPH. My average was over 75MPH.

I've read the NAV manual and did not see anything that would address this.

I hope I've overlooked something and someone has the answer.
If there it does not adjust based on your speed then, my friend, we have paid 2,000 bucks for a piss poor Nav system. I will be very disappointed if that is true.

Anyway, I can't test it until Saturday. I'm stuck in a hotel in Orlando, Florida the rest of the week. It's business not pleasure, so no Disney for me. And I flew here today, I didn't take the Outlook. Oh well. I hope you're wrong, Mr. Biz. Gosh.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
MrBiz

OK, we're halfway back to Dallas (from Duluth) and I kept a close eye on the eta that the NAV system displayed. My average speed during this 600 mile leg was 75MPH and this was confirmed via the DIC.

However, the NAV system calculated my arrival based upon exactly 65MPH. This is very dissapointing to me. Unless there is a setting that I've missed, I find this unaccepable. In all other areas I like the NAV system. I just wish it was designed to be accurate.

Biz

2004 Saturn ION 2
1996 Saturn SL 2
1992 Saturn SL 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #6
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member

Quote:
OK, we're halfway back to Dallas (from Duluth) and I kept a close eye on the eta that the NAV system displayed. My average speed during this 600 mile leg was 75MPH and this was confirmed via the DIC.

However, the NAV system calculated my arrival based upon exactly 65MPH. This is very dissapointing to me. Unless there is a setting that I've missed, I find this unaccepable. In all other areas I like the NAV system. I just wish it was designed to be accurate.
Maybe your particular unit is defective. That's possible, isn't it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2007, 04:53 PM   #7
MrBiz

Quote:
Maybe your particular unit is defective. That's possible, isn't it?
Well, I just completed the last leg into Dallas. Near the end of the trip I checked and the NAV had calculated my arrival based upon 60MPH. This is a change from yesterday which was 65MPH. My average speed on the DIC registered 72.3 today, which was in fact a little lower than yesterday.

Maybe I'm overly sensitive about this issue. I think for most it would be a non-issue. I just wish there was a way to go into the NAV and override their setting for this.

Biz

2004 Saturn ION 2
1996 Saturn SL 2
1992 Saturn SL 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2007, 08:32 AM   #8
hortaja
hortaja is on a distinguished road

MrBiz

Well I have been sitting here quitely reading your post. This new is kinda dissapointing cause I use the est arrival time every single day on my Garmin. At the same time I'm kinda hooked to it, so this could be a way to wein me off..

I was wondering if the unit itself has the latets software version? I was thinking what if the map update disc also updates the Nav software too? I have no idea. When I have time over the next couple weeks I can see if there are some genaric NAV forums on the web. Maybe their some upgrade or hack we can do. The other thing would be to try to contact the Delphi engineers directly and ask them...?

Well keep us up to date

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hortaja's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hortaja reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hortaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:33 AM   #9
MrBiz

It bothers me that there is now way to "override" different route speed settings. Everyone drives differently. Garmin knows that, and that's why they allow overrides or personal preferences. The NAV is not way off, but the fact is it is not accurate. A picky point for many people I'm sure. But having ownd GPS systems in my cars since the late 90's I'm dissapointed and bothered by this.

I'm still hoping someone will respond and show me where this setting is hiding!

Biz

2004 Saturn ION 2
1996 Saturn SL 2
1992 Saturn SL 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2007, 12:38 PM   #10
zielinab
zielinab is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
It bothers me that there is now way to "override" different route speed settings. Everyone drives differently. Garmin knows that, and that's why they allow overrides or personal preferences. The NAV is not way off, but the fact is it is not accurate. A picky point for many people I'm sure. But having ownd GPS systems in my cars since the late 90's I'm dissapointed and bothered by this.

I've never played around with any nav systems, but to me, it seems like it should calculate ETA based on your current (recent average?) speed. If you're crawling along at 10mph in bumper to bumper, or flying along at 100mph, it doesn't make sense to use some arbitrary preset, configurable or otherwise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zielinab's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zielinab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zielinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:34 PM   #11
hortaja

ok all

This is all I have found fo far. We all need to do some digging. If we can get an email from a technical person at Delphi maybe we can get a fix.

Delphi Black Tie Navigation/Entertainment Takes Center Stage on Several
New Models

Release Date: January 08, 2007
LAS VEGAS In the front and center of the instrument panel in a host of GM's new models is a Delphi Corporation's premium Black Tie integrated navigation and entertainment system. As the cockpit centerpiece, the Delphi system combines premium audio entertainment with vehicle navigation to provide superior audio sound and route guidance.

Delphi's premium navigation system is featured as an option on the Buick Enclave and Lucerne, Saturn Outlook and Vue, GMC Acadia, Chevy Equinox and Pontiac Torrent.

Delphi's navigation and entertainment system complements the superior craftsmanship of these vehicle's interiors. Offering the passengers the ultimate in personalized entertainment, Delphi's system is uniquely capable of playing DVDs for front seat viewing when the car is parked as an option in some models.

Delphi's touch screen navigation radio provides an easy-to-use system featuring DVD-based map navigation and AM/FM/CD satellite digital audio compatible radio with optional DVD. The system includes an on-board computer that interacts with the Global Positioning System, vehicle sensors and the map data base, to provide road information and help guide travelers to their destinations.

"Because it delivers both exceptional functionality and innovative features, the Black Tie navigation and entertainment systems have been an immediate hit with consumers," said Ken Erickson, Delphi Entertainment & Communications product business unit general director. "The Delphi navigation radio system adds a very powerful tool to help contribute to the success of a vehicle by delivering convenience and enjoyment to owners in an attractive package."

The large color navigation display is easy to read and voice prompts help keep a driver's eyes on the road. The touch-screen menu system makes the navigation system easy to operate. The Delphi navigation system features map views, intersection view, an address book and points of interest all on one DVD. The unit remaps directions automatically should the driver miss a turn.

For 70 years Delphi has provided wireless entertainment for mobile applications, and has engineered navigation systems for more than 12 years.

For more information about Delphi and its subsidiaries, visit Delphi's media room at www.delphi.com/media.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hortaja reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2007, 02:51 PM   #12
hortaja

ok

Did some digging on Ken Erickson and found this.

DELPHI INCORPORATED
Printed Name: Kenneth L. Erickson
Title: Business Line Executive
Integrated Media Systems
Date 12/12/05

Then found this.

DELPHI WORLD HEADQUARTERS (Troy, Mich., USA)
Bodkin Dave Director, Media Relations david.g.bodkin@delphi.com 1.248.813.2532
Piccinin Claudia Financial Communications claudia.piccinin@delphi.com 1.248.813.2942
Williams Lindsey Labor, Manufacturing and Environmental lindsey.Williams@delphi.com 1.248.813.2528

If you see the pattern there email address are there name @delphi.com.

Now the question is does he go by Ken.Erickson or Ken.L.Erickson or Kenneth.L.Erickson? So if someone has the time send him an email and copy this thread. Or at least the questions in this thread.

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2007, 09:30 PM   #13
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zielinab View Post
I've never played around with any nav systems, but to me, it seems like it should calculate ETA based on your current (recent average?) speed. If you're crawling along at 10mph in bumper to bumper, or flying along at 100mph, it doesn't make sense to use some arbitrary preset, configurable or otherwise.
That's what I said. I have a portable Garmin with me here in Florida (I'm on a business trip). I brought it with me to put in my rental car. It adjusts based on my vehicle's position/distance from my destination. I think these devices have to use an approximate speed, but they should adjust ETA if your current speed goes significantly over the "estimated" speed or significantly under the "estimated" speed and that change is maintained for a certain period of time to make a real difference in ETA. When that happens, the ETA changes.

An example would be driving 65-70 on the Interstate and your ETA will not change. Drop down to 60 and it won't change unless you sustain that lower speed for a long time. Go up to 80 mph and it won't change unless, again, you sustain that speed for several minutes. Then ETA will drop by a minute or two (depending on current distance from destination).

The ETA will not change every minute unless there is a SIGNIFICANT change in speed, up or down, from the "estimated speed." And I do mean significant. Otherwise, every time you stop at a traffic light your ETA would change and that doesn't happen. The Garmin is so good it seems to account for traffic lights on some roads, since it knows your route.

My inexpensive Garmin portable is scarily accurate with ETA. In fact, it's never been off, not even by a minute.

I can't wait to test my Outlook Nav on Saturday, after I get home.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2007, 10:01 PM   #14
MrBiz

Quote:
That's what I said. I have a portable Garmin with me here in Florida (I'm on a business trip). I brought it with me to put in my rental car. It adjusts based on my vehicle's position/distance from my destination. I think these devices have to use an approximate speed, but they should adjust ETA if your current speed goes significantly over the "estimated" speed or significantly under the "estimated" speed and that change is maintained for a certain period of time to make a real difference in ETA. When that happens, the ETA changes.

An example would be driving 65-70 on the Interstate and your ETA will not change. Drop down to 60 and it won't change unless you sustain that lower speed for a long time. Go up to 80 mph and it won't change unless, again, you sustain that speed for several minutes. Then ETA will drop by a minute or two (depending on current distance from destination).

The ETA will not change every minute unless there is a SIGNIFICANT change in speed, up or down, from the "estimated speed." And I do mean significant. Otherwise, every time you stop at a traffic light your ETA would change and that doesn't happen. The Garmin is so good it seems to account for traffic lights on some roads, since it knows your route.

My inexpensive Garmin portable is scarily accurate with ETA. In fact, it's never been off, not even by a minute.

I can't wait to test my Outlook Nav on Saturday, after I get home.
Plainsman, please do test your NAV system. I need to know if;

a.) I'm just plain crazy.
b.) My NAV system is defective.
c.) The system design in not up to snuff.
d.) All of the above.

Biz

2004 Saturn ION 2
1996 Saturn SL 2
1992 Saturn SL 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2007, 10:03 PM   #15
MrBiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortaja View Post
ok

Did some digging on Ken Erickson and found this.

DELPHI INCORPORATED
Printed Name: Kenneth L. Erickson
Title: Business Line Executive
Integrated Media Systems
Date 12/12/05

Then found this.

DELPHI WORLD HEADQUARTERS (Troy, Mich., USA)
Bodkin Dave Director, Media Relations david.g.bodkin@delphi.com 1.248.813.2532
Piccinin Claudia Financial Communications claudia.piccinin@delphi.com 1.248.813.2942
Williams Lindsey Labor, Manufacturing and Environmental lindsey.Williams@delphi.com 1.248.813.2528

If you see the pattern there email address are there name @delphi.com.

Now the question is does he go by Ken.Erickson or Ken.L.Erickson or Kenneth.L.Erickson? So if someone has the time send him an email and copy this thread. Or at least the questions in this thread.

Jerry
Jerry, thanks for digging into this. I'm really swamped at work (funny how vacations do that to ya). Maybe this weekend I can compose an email.

Biz

2004 Saturn ION 2
1996 Saturn SL 2
1992 Saturn SL 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2007, 12:22 AM   #16
BrightOutlook
BrightOutlook is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:

Has anyone tried the toll-free Delphi help line for original factory installed equipment?
(Since they use the name "Delphi," let's hope their responses aren't like Greek to us.)

http://delphi.com/contact/ce/oe_rp/
Please call
1-877-GO-DELPHI
(1-877-463-3574)
http://delphi.com/contact/oe/
(E-Mail contact page)

Delphi:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delphi

Good Luck,
Eternal Optimist

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BrightOutlook's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BrightOutlook reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BrightOutlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:11 AM   #17
ed nunez
ed nunez is on a distinguished road

You're barking up the wrong tree. Delphi is the supplier for the Nav radio but you need to go straight to GM on this to get better results.

Start with Mr. DeFrain: david.defrain@gm.com

His title is Director - Infotainment, Telematics, Controls & Displays

Ed Nunez
2007 Outlook XR FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ed nunez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ed nunez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ed nunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:46 PM   #18
MrBiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed nunez View Post
You're barking up the wrong tree. Delphi is the supplier for the Nav radio but you need to go straight to GM on this to get better results.

Start with Mr. DeFrain: david.defrain@gm.com

His title is Director - Infotainment, Telematics, Controls & Displays
Ed, thanks for the info.

Biz

2004 Saturn ION 2
1996 Saturn SL 2
1992 Saturn SL 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!