SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2007, 09:59 AM   #1
farmasis
farmasis is on a distinguished road

Default Ok, am I the only idiot?

I just looked through the manual to find out how to open the gas cap door. I was looking for the release button inside and never could find it. I would try and pry it open with my fingertips.

Dooooh!

Just push it and it pops open.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to farmasis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help farmasis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
farmasis is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
hortaja
hortaja is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Ok, am I the only idiot?

Too funny.... I have done this too. But my story was worse.

My mother couple years back bought a new Mercedes CLK convertible. Well i borrowed it for a long trip. My wife and I were in the middle of nowhere when we need to put gas to continue on our trip. No big deal right? Well i get to the gas station in nowheresvill Florida when i can not for the life of me get the gas door open. I looked everywhere for the relase. Tried calling my mom but she could not be reached. Called her husband and he had no clue. Ask the gas station guy and he had no clue, wiated for two customer cars to come and go and still no clue. I got so desperate I thought I was going to break the cover and just replace it later, I go to press on it and all the sudden it pops open, duhaaaa. I never felt so stupid......

All my cars have had a gas door release....?

So farmasis welcome to the dumb gas door club...betcha it will never happen to us again... : )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hortaja's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hortaja reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hortaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:03 AM   #3
Blip
Blip is on a distinguished road

Thanks.

This will save me from doing the same thing.
Haven't done the first fill-up yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Blip's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Blip reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:15 PM   #4
Kaya
Kaya is on a distinguished road

Kaya: Official member of the GCI (gas cap idiot) Club

My first fill up went like this:
I pulled into the gas station with 2 kids in the car, during rush hour commute. Spent 2-3 minutes in the car looking for the gas cap release. What, no gas cap release?? Okay, this is strange. So I got out to look at the d@mn thing. Huh? Got back in my car and pulled out the manual and began to read...people around me were laughing. It said something about pushing the release button towards the rear of the car..."I don't remember seeing a release button" I said to myself. Went back out, pressed the car and PRESTO! The only thing funnier would have been watching my husband try to figure it out, but I was nice enough to spare him the humiliation..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaya's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaya reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
mattandtiff
mattandtiff is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Hello. My name is Matt...and I'm a gas cap idiot. The other day Iwas trying to fill up the tank. Spent 3-4 minutes looking for the release under the dash, seat, and glove box. Nothing. My wife then walked over to the cap, looked at it, and pushed it right open. Yeah, I felt like an idiot.

On another note, how about the parking brake? I spent 5 minutes popping the hood and drawing a few people to help me with my apparent "car problems" while I was looking for the brake release lever. Outlook 2 - Matt 0.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattandtiff's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattandtiff reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattandtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #6
SaturnPlanet
SaturnPlanet is on a distinguished road

ideally, your salesperson should have pointed that out before you left, but usually people are more concerned about other features.

We know more about what is less than ourselves, and less about what is more than ourselves.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnPlanet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnPlanet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:36 PM   #7
farmasis

Whew, I am not alone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help farmasis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2007, 03:44 PM   #8
kjf
kjf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnPlanet View Post
ideally, your salesperson should have pointed that out before you left, but usually people are more concerned about other features.
Assuming the salesperson actually know about this.

Kelly

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kjf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kjf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:58 PM   #9
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

I avoided embarrassment at a service station only because when I went to pick it up, I was sitting inside the vehicle on the dealer's lot. I looked over at my wife and said "I'm not leaving till I know where the gas cap release is."

I did the Easter egg search just like the rest of you--couldn't find the release button/lever. So I sat there until the salesman came out and I asked him. He knew because he had taken it out to fill it up for me, knowing I was coming to pick it up. And guess what? He admitted he did the gas cap idiot shuffle at the service station! LOL!!! So he showed me what to do, sparing me embarrassment at a service station.

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:38 AM   #10
WopOnTour
Advanced Member
WopOnTour will become famous soon enough

LOL nice honesty here
Want another easter egg hunt?
Go find the battery...

Hint: Don't bother with the "Checking Things Under Your Hood" section of your owners manual

WopOnTour

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WopOnTour's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WopOnTour reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WopOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:49 AM   #11
zielinab
zielinab is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WopOnTour View Post
LOL nice honesty here
Go find the battery...

Hint: Don't bother with the "Checking Things Under Your Hood" section of your owners manual

WopOnTour
Is it cheating if we already saw the thread about that on the Acadia board?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zielinab's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zielinab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zielinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:25 AM   #12
QuinneyZoo1
QuinneyZoo1 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Don't feel bad. The first time I went to gas up my Outlook I did the same thing. I looked around for a while for a button, got out tried to lift it open and by chance pressed on it and the gas door came open. Thank god no one was there to see me.

2007 Outlook XR AWD
Midnight Blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QuinneyZoo1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QuinneyZoo1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
QuinneyZoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:53 AM   #13
farmasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by WopOnTour View Post
LOL nice honesty here
Go find the battery...

WopOnTour

My salesman did show me that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2007, 12:15 PM   #14
twostirish222
twostirish222 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmasis View Post
ok, well mine didn't and the suspence is killing me. where is it located?

VUE 2008 XE FWD
Outlook XE 2007
VUE 2003
SL1 1991

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twostirish222's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twostirish222 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twostirish222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #15
WopOnTour
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmasis View Post
Nice, in a perfect world that would be the case for every sale... (as it hopefully would be for the fuel door...)
WOT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help WopOnTour reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2007, 01:07 PM   #16
MatthewD102
MatthewD102 is on a distinguished road

Ok, I don't want to spoil the thread but your salesman should point these items out to you, only because they are so different. The batter is actually between the front passenger seat, and the second row. Under your floor mats you will find a door held down by a single bolt. Under this door is the magical everlasting batter on the outlook. Since I know what the next question will be (why did they do that?), I'll go ahead and let you know. Concealing the battery away from the elements (hot/cold weather, and heat from the engine) the battery can last much much longer. There is a positive and ground post under the hood.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MatthewD102's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MatthewD102 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MatthewD102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #17
zielinab

2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewD102 View Post
Ok, I don't want to spoil the thread but your salesman should point these items out to you, only because they are so different. The batter is actually between the front passenger seat, and the second row. Under your floor mats you will find a door held down by a single bolt. Under this door is the magical everlasting batter on the outlook. Since I know what the next question will be (why did they do that?), I'll go ahead and let you know. Concealing the battery away from the elements (hot/cold weather, and heat from the engine) the battery can last much much longer. There is a positive and ground post under the hood.
Yup, see here for pics:
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=63.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help zielinab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2007, 02:00 PM   #18
Gwenzilla
Gwenzilla is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Concealing the battery away from the elements (hot/cold weather, and heat from the engine) the battery can last much much longer
I have a question about the battery compartment.... I've never owned a car where eventually the battery tray didn't start corroding away after a few years, is this battery compartment just sheet metal ?? I've had thick metal battery trays corrode severely, and can't imagine how fast a thin sheet metal compartment would dissolve. Please tell me that it's lined with something to prevent this.

And isn't a byproduct of a charging battery flammable hydrogen gas? How is this compartment vented? I guess its a good reason not to let a smokers in my car.

Saturn family stable:
- 2007 Outlook - AKA "Lambchop"
- 2003 Vue
- 2006 Ion

Last edited by Gwenzilla; 03-14-2007 at 02:05 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gwenzilla's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gwenzilla reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gwenzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:43 PM   #19
zielinab

2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenzilla View Post
I have a question about the battery compartment.... I've never owned a car where eventually the battery tray didn't start corroding away after a few years, is this battery compartment just sheet metal ?? I've had thick metal battery trays corrode severely, and can't imagine how fast a thin sheet metal compartment would dissolve. Please tell me that it's lined with something to prevent this.

And isn't a byproduct of a charging battery flammable hydrogen gas? How is this compartment vented? I guess its a good reason not to let a smokers in my car.
It's perfectly safe. I don't know the particulars, but I'm sure it's vented. They've been mounting batteries inside the passenger compartment for years. My '95 Olds Aurora had it under the rear seat. My A8 has it in a well in the trunk, and I'm pretty sure it has a vent tube to the exterior.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2007, 05:54 PM   #20
WopOnTour
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well said

Another electrical item your salesperson hopefully remembered to mention is the voltage guage operation. It's 100% NORMAL to observe fairly large "swings" in displayed voltage from around 12 volts to as high as 15 volts. It may move at times more than you may have observed on other vehicles.

This NEW* behavior is due to the use Of Regulated Voltage Control (RVC) that places both the Body Control Module (BCM) and Engine Control Module (ECM) as contributors to system charging functions, as well as battery rundown protection, and load shed modes.
So where as older vehicles had a pretty "stable" voltmeter reading of about 14V at all times when the engine was running, this NEW* system extends battery and charging system life by only charging when sufficient electrical loads are present and charge rates are much more temperature dependant than older (non-RVC) models.

*Not really new, GM has been using RVC in most all LD trucks and SUVs since 2005 (including the Relay)

If your charging system has issues the BATTERY lamp will be illuminated, combined with SERVICE BATTERY CHARGING SYSTEM message on the driver information center. There's no need to have your charging system or battery tested for a "fluctuating voltmeter gage"

HTH
WopOnTour

PS> yes everything is vented and sealed. The corrosion will be less of an issue due to RVC and the venting harness as well (most of you past tray corrosion problems have been due to overcharging in hot weather resulting in excessive venting and H2SO4 contamination)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!