SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
unabelladonna
unabelladonna is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn SL-1 2002 - Coolant Light/Coolant Leak - Muffler noise - Check Engine Light

96,500 miles 2002 SL-1

Okay, I have three things going on right now with my car that have me worried. I work at a school, so the automotive teacher is taking a look at it for me now.

The check engine light has been on for sometime now. I have checked it and the code I get is misfire #3. It has California emissions. What could be causing the light to come on?

The coolant is leaking. I have to keep putting coolant in the reserve. The leak looks like it is coming from one of the bolt holes on the water pump. The low coolant level light keeps coming on when the coolant level gets low in the reserve. What could be going on? It's not leaking near the radiator.

The muffler sounds like its puttering. The idle on the car seems low at times. It doesn't sound right. I looked for holes, but all I found were the two little holes that look like they are supposed to be there for drainage.

Any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unabelladonna's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unabelladonna reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unabelladonna is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1
Default Re: Saturn SL-1 2002 - Coolant Light/Coolant Leak - Muffler noise - Check Engine Ligh

The misfire is the puttering you hear in the exhaust. Pursue this and the puttering will likely stop. Spark plugs and wires and clean ignition coil terminals are in order. Also investigate the intake manifold gasket; spray carb/brake cleaner in its vicinity when the car is idling and if the idle changes, that gasket has to go. Usually it affects the #1 cylinder but it could do any of 'em.

The water pump is almost certainly the source of your leak. There isn't much else in that vicinity that's "wet" if the hoses around it and radiator are dry. Replace it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote