SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
HwksNut66
HwksNut66 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Default Saturn SL1 Idle Problem

Hello All!!

I have a 2002 Saturn SL1 sohc 5 speed with about 50 k miles on it that is currently showing a service engine soon light on.
When the light originally came on the car was running great so I thought the best idea was to do a tune up on it.So I did ,but,the problem never went away.Service light still on.Autozone OBDII said engine cyl 1 misfire or something similar to that.

Now the engine idles very poorly when its cold and when it does warm up the idle races at 1500 rpm in neutral( or when clutch is pushed in).During normal driving it runs great.Getting up to speed on the highway is no problem and it runs great when I am on the gas.Its only when I stop or engage the clutch the engine rpm shoots right to 1500 rpm or so.

For a test I engaged the parking break and let the clutch out to get the rpm down to what the idle should be (i'm guessing about 700-800 or so) to see if it would die,stutter,etc but it ran beautiful and smooth so now i'm stuck.

I have checked all that I know how to check and you all are my last resort for help before I bite the bullet and bring it in to a Saturn dealership.

I am glad I stumbled across this site and I appreciate any help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HwksNut66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HwksNut66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HwksNut66 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2007, 09:21 PM   #2
yazhere
yazhere is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Default Re: Saturn SL1 Idle Problem

I would take a spray of brake cleaner to the intake manifold near the #1 cylinder. If you get your idle to even out at that time, you have an intake manifold gasket failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yazhere's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yazhere reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yazhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:41 PM   #3
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

It won't even out, it'll just about stall. Most likely you're sucking air at cylinder 1. Fairly common problem on 3rd gen SOHCs.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
HwksNut66
HwksNut66 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

OK sorry it took soo long to reply to this(my) problem.

I did do the carb spray test and wouldnt you know the idle evened out a little so naturally I assumed it was the head gasket.I was wrong,it turned out to be the intake manifold gasket just like you said. Fixed.

I am back to loving my Saturn again.Now that gas prices here are 2.50 a gal or so.I just filled up again with 10 gallons after my trip odometer had reached 380 miles.You just cant beat that. 38 mpg works for me!

Thanks for the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HwksNut66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HwksNut66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HwksNut66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:46 PM   #5
yazhere
yazhere is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Congrats and Good Luck. 38 mpgs are hard to beat. Check the oil often and enjoy the savings. Send thanks to Charlie for letting us converse and learn from each other.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yazhere's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yazhere reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yazhere is offline   Reply With Quote