SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2007, 02:59 PM   #1
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Default Why My Outlook Cost So Damn Much

Okay, I was defnitely tempted by the sticker price on a base XE. But I wanted a NAV, leather and HIDs and you couldn't get 'em on an XE.

Anyway, for those people still shopping the Outlook, here's what I wound up paying and why:

2007 Outlook AWD XR, base price = $31,555. The following features were added on that blew up the price almost 10 grand:

Premium trim package: leather appointed seats-first and second rows, heated front driver's and passenger's seats = $1,275

Convenience Package: power liftgate, ultrasonic rear parking assist, remote start, heated windshield wiper fluid, 115 volt power outlet = $1,045

Touring Package: 19" polished aluminum wheels, 19" all-season tires, dual exhaust with chrome tips = $895

Advanced Audio Package: Audio controls, reat seat with earphone jacks, audio system, speaker premium sound = $510

Enhanced Convenience Package: 8-way Power seat adjust driver with memory, 4-way power seat adjust front passenger, heated and pwoer folding outside mirrors with integrated turn signal, power express windows = $690

Trailering Package: Heavy-duty cooling system, trailer hitch-factory
installed = $425

Touch Screen Navigation System = $2,145

Dual skyscape sunroofs = $1,300

HID headlamps = $500

XM Satellite Radio (3 months service free) = $199

If I could've eliminated any of the big ticket items, it would've been the "Dual Skyscape Sunroofs" and the "Trailering Package." That would've dropped the price to the high 30s.

I wanted the Nav most of all and the HIDs. Once you go Xenon you never go back to regular headlights. My 2002 Altima V6 came straight from the factory with HIDs and they are unbelievably better. Because of that experience I was initially wavering on the Outlook until the salesman told me plenty of XR's will come with HIDs. The lack of HIDs stopped me from buying a Durango with a Hemi last year.

Granted, I've had this vehicle less than a week, but so far my only disappointment is with the "advanced audio system." If this is Saturn's best, I really question their audio ear, because the sound quality with so-called "advanced audio" is very mediocre, very average compared to the Bose system that came with my Altima. Saturn needs a BOSE with a premium mid-range and sub-woofer and some better speakers. If not a BOSE, then a Mark Levinson.

This is my first Saturn but hopefully not my last. I just don't understand how people who are traditional buyers of inexpensive Saturns could accept the sound systems in their cars which were probably of a lesser caliber even than the one they put in my Outlook. Maybe traditional Saturn buyers are not real big audiophiles? I don't mean that as an insult, because I hope to be a traditional Saturn buyer now. I'm just trying to understand the pitiful sound system in these cars if this new one is the best they've ever offered.

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
Nuke-Em
Nuke-Em is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Why My Outlook Cost So Damn Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlainsman View Post
This is my first Saturn but hopefully not my last. I just don't understand how people who are traditional buyers of inexpensive Saturns could accept the sound systems in their cars which were probably of a lesser caliber even than the one they put in my Outlook.
The 4 speaker single CD/AM/FM radio in my old SC2 sounded just fine to me. The 8 speaker single CD/AM/FM standard system in my A3 is just fine too. I look at it this way, as long as it doesn't have static or sound like jumbled marbles, stock systems usually suit me just fine. With all the other noise in the cabin from the engine, open windows, road noise, etc. a "high quality" system would be a waste for me because of all the background noise. I'd rather spend my money on some nice headphones or speakers for my home stereo. At least then the music is my sole focus without lots of background noise.

Anyhoo, it sounds like there's a big difference in the price between an XE and what you purchased. With all the extras you wanted, why did you even bother looking at the XE? Enjoy your new car.

Matt

If God had intended driving to be boring, he would have given us all Toyota's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nuke-Em's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nuke-Em reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nuke-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
KrgION03
KrgION03 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm just trying to understand the pitiful sound system in these cars if this new one is the best they've ever offered.
Haha, listen to the sound system in the Ion, you will cry.

Being a kid, I am a huge music nut. I agree Saturn should step it up in this area.

My younger brother has a Saab 9-3....a 2005...and the stereo sucks in that too though. Maybe it's a GM problem?

Kyle

18 Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic, Narvik Black
15 Porsche Cayman, Carrara White
Previous:
13 Porsche Boxster
09 Mercedes-Benz C300
06 Mini Cooper S
05 Saab 9-3
03 Saturn Ion2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KrgION03's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KrgION03 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KrgION03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR

Don't get the AAS, replace the speakers and add a sub - you'll still be under the competition w/ their "advanced / premium" sound system....

+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:08 PM   #5
Rogue
Rogue is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1995 SL2

The Advanced Sound system on my L300 sounds really good to me. But I have a sedan, which is the easiest auto environment to make good sound in.

As for the price of your Outlook, you really shouldn't feel bad at this point. It's all said and done. However, I think, and apperantly, AAA and Money Magazine agree, you should NEVER buy a NAV system from the manufacturer. Over $2k for a NAV? Man that is a complete rip off. Unless that thing actually DRIVES your car to your destination, it is outrageous because similar stand alone Nav systems are available off the shelf between $500-$1000. My brother works for Magellan and he said the same thing. Some off the shelf systems are much better than the manufacturer installed systems.

Also, if you are an audiofile, you will rarely be happy with a factory sound system. You are better off going with a professional installer and having a complete or augmented sound system installed. For your Outlook, the size of that cabin requires lots of power and a BIG subwoofer. Does your Outlook have one? If so, I'll bet it's stuffed inside a plastic interior panel! You're not going to get lows as good with a setup like that inside a vehicle like that! You need at least a 10" driver inside a fairly large enclosure with lots of power.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #6
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member

It's kinda funny but I never listen to music at home. Only in my car or while working out I use a Creative Zen. I just don't have a need or desire for a premium sound system at home. I want one in my ride. Oh well. The one that came with the Outlook is not terrible, it's just that it pales in comparison to the BOSE system in my Alty and that one came from the factory.

I hope this is not a GM/American brand problem.

I agree on the Nav system thing. I have a portable Nav that I used until I bought the Outlook last week. It's better than the one in the Outlook and cost less than half as much. But I got tired of moving it from vehicle to vehicle since I rarely drive the same car two days in a row (to avoid accumulating a lot of wear and tear on any one vehicle). I vowed to myself that every new car I purchase from now on would have two things: built in Nav and HIDs. I'm waiting for the Aura XR to get both so I can buy one to maybe replace my Alty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Did I miss it, or did he never actaully post the full price, as equiped, he paid?

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:12 PM   #8
MrBiz
MrBiz is on a distinguished road

One thing is certain...........

The advanced audio system on my Outlook is A WHOLE LOT BETTER than my singing. Just ask my wife..... Heck, just ask me!!

Biz

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD
2004 Saturn ION 2
1996 Saturn SL 2
1992 Saturn SL 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrBiz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrBiz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:09 AM   #9
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiz View Post
One thing is certain...........

The advanced audio system on my Outlook is A WHOLE LOT BETTER than my singing. Just ask my wife..... Heck, just ask me!!
LOL!

I think Rogue is correct about the size of the vehicle making premium sound more difficult than say in a sedan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-15-2007, 08:56 AM   #10
1995 SC2
1995 SC2 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Re: Why My Outlook Cost So Damn Much

For all that Money you Spent on your Outlook, you could have bought an Acura MDX! That's what I would have done!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1995 SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1995 SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1995 SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:03 AM   #11
hortaja
hortaja is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995 SC2 View Post
For all that Money you Spent on your Outlook, you could have bought an Acura MDX! That's what I would have done!
Have you even sat in the new MDX. I did and the third row is Usless, the cargo is Usless. They do not compare at all.....

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hortaja's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hortaja reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hortaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:31 AM   #12
kjf
kjf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortaja View Post
Have you even sat in the new MDX. I did and the third row is Usless, the cargo is Usless. They do not compare at all.....

Jerry
And its ugly. I have (and have liked) a 2002 MDX. I passed on the 07 MDX and ordered an Acadia. (I know, I know, this is a Saturn forum.)

Kelly

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kjf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kjf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #13
Emanresu2
Emanresu2 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I haven't really listened to the Outlook's stereo very closely, but sound quality diminishes rapidly with larger interiors. Amperage will generally need to increase at a logarithmic rate per unit of interior space increase in order to maintain the same number of dBs at the same load. If you switched the stereos in your Outlook and Altima the sound quality in each vehicle would probably sound about the same.

If you want really good sound quality in a vehicle that large the best bet would be to invest in aftermarket amplified speakers. This isn't so much to make them louder per se, but to let them make sufficient dBs without distortion. Don't worry about the head unit because there really isn't that much difference between them controlling for amps. As for branded stereos coming with cars straight from the factory, it is my understanding that these are almost never really made by the stated audio brand, they just sell their name to make money and get some free advertising.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Emanresu2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Emanresu2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Emanresu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:39 PM   #14
1995 SC2
1995 SC2 is on a distinguished road

Post Re: Why My Outlook Cost So Damn Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortaja View Post

Jerry

For the lack of Third Row Seating and less Cargo Room of the Acura MDX compared to the Outlook for the price, I'll take the MDX over the Outlook!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1995 SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1995 SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1995 SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:51 PM   #15
zielinab
zielinab is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
For the lack of Third Row Seating and less Cargo Room of the Acura MDX compared to the Outlook for the price, I'll take the MDX over the Outlook!
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. However, I doubt you'll find many who would agree with you on that one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zielinab's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zielinab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zielinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:57 PM   #16
JCS
JCS is on a distinguished road

If you really want a useable third row seat, then the MDX is not a viable contender. Like the X5, it appears the third row was an afterthought.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JCS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JCS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:41 PM   #17
DesertPuma
DesertPuma is on a distinguished road

I would have skipped the following, as IMO they are totally useless, and a total waste of $$$'s:

Quote:
Premium trim package: leather appointed seats-first and second rows, heated front driver's and passenger's seats = $1,275

Convenience Package: power liftgate, ultrasonic rear parking assist, remote start, heated windshield wiper fluid, 115 volt power outlet = $1,045

Touring Package: 19" polished aluminum wheels, 19" all-season tires, dual exhaust with chrome tips = $895 (I was "iffy" on this one)

Enhanced Convenience Package: 8-way Power seat adjust driver with memory, 4-way power seat adjust front passenger, heated and pwoer folding outside mirrors with integrated turn signal, power express windows = $690

Touch Screen Navigation System = $2,145

HID headlamps = $500

XM Satellite Radio (3 months service free) = $199
Based on my calculations, you would have saved $6749.. that's a good chunk of change. (500 bucks for HID's??????? My goodness. )

Now a proud Subie owner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DesertPuma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DesertPuma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DesertPuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:11 PM   #18
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertPuma View Post
I would have skipped the following, as IMO they are totally useless, and a total waste of $$$'s:

Based on my calculations, you would have saved $6749.. that's a good chunk of change. (500 bucks for HID's??????? My goodness. )
I live in a semi-rural area with a lot of unlit or poorly lit country roads. The difference HIDs make is shocking. I've had them for five years on my Altima. It is no wonder HIDs are standard equipment on luxury cars today, cars like Mercedes Benz, BMW, Porsche, Audi, etc. Only cheap, lookalike American brands are without them. Ditto the on-board Nav. Ditto heated leather seats. I got used to HIDs and heated leather for five years and I'm not going backwards.

Once you go HID, you'll never settle for regular headlamps again. And $500 is chump change.

And with a vehicle this size, how could you not want the ultrasonic park assist and power liftgate, if not for you for the wife?

I don't know about you, but I'll never buy a stripped down vehicle again. Those days are behind me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-15-2007, 09:28 PM   #19
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What?

As said, they don't really compare, because of the size difference. You may not need the third row or cargo room, but you may not realize that some people do.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:34 PM   #20
farmasis
farmasis is on a distinguished road

What a great country.

We can get a loaded car if we want one, or get a base car if we prefer.

We can even opt for an Acura MDX.

I am a no nonsense kind of person, and I make a pretty good living.(farmasis = pharmacist) The thing I wanted most were the DVD and the nav, but I just couldn't see paying the money. I have a hand held GPS that works just fine, and a portable DVD that gets the job done (keeping the kids quite.) We had a sun roof in the jeep we traded for the Outlook, and I bet we opened it 4 times in 4 years. The one on the lot (the only one) had about 10 grand of upgrades (about 39K) and I opted for the XE mostly base and paid abbout 29K.

To me the 10K is better in my pocket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to farmasis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help farmasis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
farmasis is offline   Reply With Quote