SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2002, 09:30 PM   #1
primed_in
primed_in is on a distinguished road

Default Car won't start, only a clicking sound

Last Thursday, my car would not start. It was working fine earlier in the day, then boom! I turned the key and all I got was a repeated clicking sound. I got it to push start and also to jump start. I tested the battery and got 12-13v not running and 14.5v running. My car runs fine while it's running but won't start on it's own. Has anyone had this problem before. Anyone know what could be causing this problem? 96 SC2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to primed_in's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help primed_in reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2002, 09:48 PM   #2
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Uhh, I don't know what to say other then maybe a bad solenoid on the starter. However, you never, ever push start a newer car... you can trash your catalytic convertor from raw fuel being dumped into it, and you can cause a whole slew of other problems.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2002, 01:27 AM   #3
primed_in

Thanx for the advice. Where did you here that spill about the catalytic convertor? What other problem can manifest from push starting? By newer cars, do you mean having a catalytic convertor or just how newer cars are made?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help primed_in reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2002, 05:10 PM   #4
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

OVB is correct, probably the solenoid. But also check for corroded/loose wire connections (battery to starter, battery to ground and engine to ground). Most likely these are not it, but may be worth a check.

OVB - never heard this business about not pushing catalytic converter equipped cars to start them. The excessive fuel could cause damage to the cylinder walls via oil washdown, but haven't heard that it can wreck the converter. I know push starts aren't ideal, but I've never heard one should never do one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr. Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2002, 07:54 PM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

" you can trash your catalytic convertor from raw fuel being dumped into it,"

Don't know how you would get any fuel into the engine as the injectors will not fire off until they get a signal from the their controler and that won't happen until a signal from the crank sensor is gotton as the engine rotates.

As for the no start; bad connections or bad starter are likely causes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2002, 09:39 PM   #6
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Hmm... Thats just what I have been told.. I did not understand it either. Eh, phooey... I wouldn't do it even if it didn't... just too much crap can go wrong in a push start.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2002, 09:48 AM   #7
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Happy

i've push started my saturn before. the battery cable pulled loose from the block and it was stuck at the mall. doh! it's really not so bad being a 2400 lbs car. you can almost do it solo. push-push-push, jump in and pop the clutch. vroom vroom. kids don't try this at home. i am a professional.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2002, 04:06 PM   #8
jeff412
jeff412 is on a distinguished road

Still sounds like a bad battery to me. Even though your no load voltage is 12 V, your voltage under load can drop to almost nothing. Take the battery and have it tested. I just replaced mine. The no load voltage was showing 12.8 V, but under load it dropped to 6.3V. And yes, they can go bad instantly. Mine worked fine one day then was bad the next morning.

Jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeff412's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeff412 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2002, 07:57 PM   #9
MightyJoe
MightyJoe is on a distinguished road

agreed... just last night my battery died out of the blue... showed 12.9 volts with no load, but dropped to 2.9 when tested. My bet would we that one of the cells in the battery shorted, and a new battery will clear up the problem

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MightyJoe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MightyJoe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2002, 11:41 PM   #10
DarkAngel
DarkAngel is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

You know what it happened to me and when it did it kepted resting the computer. All I had to do was check the connection to the battery. The connection had to be tightened and I was late for the first day of my new job but after I did that it started right up. But it is a manual and sometimes its has sort of a jittery start you know where its telling you nooo dont start me ohhh ok i guess alright ill start all in 30 seconds before it turns over sort of. Oh well. Try it out It might save you some money. You still might have to get a new battery eventually. But in the meantime this should keep it from happening again. And yes I had warning signs for a bit but I wasn't certain what to do. I mean it was a used car so... anyway good luck hope this helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DarkAngel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DarkAngel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-31-2002, 08:41 PM   #11
primed_in

Thanx for all the help. I took my car in, and had it tested. How stupid did I feel when they told me it was a dead battery! The alternator and soleniod tested good. I think what happened, when I tested my battery, is as soon as I turned the car off I tested the voltage (I should have waited a few minutes). I replaced my stock battery with an Optima Red Top (my car will rust through before this battery goes bad). Since it was a dual post battery I had to make some modifications to the battery holder. It was nothing a hacksaw and a grinder couldn't fix though. Now my car fires up everytime.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-03-2002, 10:51 AM   #12
jeff412
jeff412 is on a distinguished road

Don't feel stupid. Most bad batteries will show good voltage with no load. Waiting a couple of minutes or a couple of hours wouldn't have made any difference.

Jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeff412's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeff412 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread