SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
Sman
Sman is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1
Default Replacing Idler Pully on 98 SL1

Wow site has changed a lot...it's been a while since I've been here but it looks really cool.

I have a shearing (whining at higher RPM) type sound and I've figured it to be the idler pully above the crank wheel.

Just wondering if anyone has replaced one of these and if it will come out without moving the engine? It's pretty tight in there and getting a wrench on it will be a chore, but I'm more concerned about how long the bolt is to get it out as there is only a couple of inches, if that, of clearance to do the job.

Any experiences or helpful hints appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
Elementkng20
Elementkng20 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1995 SC1
Default Re: Replacing Idler Pully on 98 SL1

You might do better by taking the passenger side wheel off and the splash guard. When mine went I had the same problem you are having until someone told me to take the wheel off. Once you take that and the splash guard off you should be able to see the pulley straight ahead. But your right, its damn near impossible to access it from the top...

----------------------
My SC possibly for sale? Anyone interested let me know.

PCMs Available: 94SW2, 95SC1
For god sakes, check your damn oil and change that damn ECTS!
----------------------

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Elementkng20's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Elementkng20 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Elementkng20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
Sman

1998 SL1

Ok thanks, I haven't checked the splash guard but does it go as high as the idler pully? I can see it gaining access to the tensioner pully but the idler is higher up.

Going by memory as I just diagnosed this on the way to work this AM and took a quick peek with hood up in parking lot!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2007, 10:32 AM   #4
Elementkng20
Elementkng20 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1995 SC1

I'm not sure how far the splash guard goes up. It's been about a year since I did mine, but I had to take the wheel and splash guard off to get to it. I mean you could lift the motor but thats way to much work for a simple idler pulley. But first try taking the wheel and splash guard off and go from there.

----------------------
My SC possibly for sale? Anyone interested let me know.

PCMs Available: 94SW2, 95SC1
For god sakes, check your damn oil and change that damn ECTS!
----------------------

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Elementkng20's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Elementkng20 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Elementkng20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:17 AM   #5
Sman

1998 SL1

Cool thanks...was just more or less double checking we were on the same page about the idler pulley and not the tensioner, appears so.

I'll figure it out I'm sure once I get into it!

Appreciate your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sman's Reputation
Old 02-14-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
Cat Fuzz
Cat Fuzz is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

There is enough room to back the bolt out all the way but no room for a ratchet. It's tight, but it can be done without having to move anything.

03 GMC Envoy XL
99 Isuzu Rodeo V-6, 4WD, Rebuilt 3.2L with 3.5L internals
63 Mercury Comet Convertible

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cat Fuzz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cat Fuzz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:45 AM   #7
yazhere
yazhere is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Here's a good thread to read to replace the idler pulley. Make sure thats the one that needs to be replaced.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...t=idler+pulley

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yazhere's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yazhere reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yazhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

To get a ratchet in there to remove the idler pulley, make like you're replacing the top engine mount. You can stick a deep well socket on the nut, then put the ratchet through the hole left in the lower portion of the mount. It wasn't more then 1.5" long, if I recall correctly.

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:01 PM   #9
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

13 mm wrench. If talented, stubborn and not willing to remove the upper engine mount to lift the engine it can be done as the engine sits. The bolt is short enough to come out that way.
The important thing to remember is not over tighten the bolt when reinstalling because you can snap the mounting boss off of the timing chain cover for the pulley.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:46 PM   #10
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
13 mm wrench. If talented, stubborn and not willing to remove the upper engine mount to lift the engine it can be done as the engine sits. The bolt is short enough to come out that way.
The important thing to remember is not over tighten the bolt when reinstalling because you can snap the mounting boss off of the timing chain cover for the pulley.
ssicarman, you confirmed that I should remove the engine mount. First, I am not talented. Being stubborn usually does not work in my favor. I plan on just changing the upper engine mount at the same time. Here is another talented person's version of replacing the tensioner:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ight=tensioner

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:50 AM   #11
Sman

1998 SL1

Heated and hammered an offset (only had 1/2) box wrench to 0 deg angle and worked like a charm last night. Only ailment is my index finger is swolen from rubbing against the motor mount edge to get the bolt back in! Real tight spot.

Great forum and nice people here to help...thanks to all!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sman's Reputation
Old 02-17-2007, 10:41 AM   #12
kthane
kthane is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

I basicly did the same thing when I did mine. Was gonna suggest it, but kinda hard to describe. I heated and beat the box end side of a combo wrench. I went the opposite of the angle already on the box end side about 1/2" down. It's like a very shallow step in it. I'm all for sacrificing a cheap wrench to save hours of fustration. I removed nothing on the car except the pulley bolt. No motor mount, no splash guard, no nothing. With a wrench that can slip right around the corner it's a piece of cake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kthane's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kthane reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kthane is offline   Reply With Quote