SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
VTchemist
VTchemist has a spectacular aura aboutVTchemist has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L
Wrench Replacing valve cover gaskets myself?

My 2003 VUE V6 has started to emit the smell of burning oil when I come to a stop. I checked under the hood. I looks like oil (in small amounts) is seeping from the valve cover gaskets onto the exhaust manifold.

I have read the threads on this matter and understand that this a common problem to the 2003 V6 engine. Some threads discuss changing the gaskets out (about $40 each) and solving the problem. I understand the front and rear seals can also be a source of oil leaks. I don' think this is the case with my VUE.

My problem is that I have never had a vehicle in which the intake manifold hides all the goodies (spark plugs and covers). Is there a "How to" with pictures anywhere to describe how to take it off? One thread mentioned the process. I'd love to see photos of what's underneath.

Also, if I replace the valve cover gaskets, shouldn't I do the plugs? I have 80K on them, so it seems the right time.

I have done a valve job on my old 1974 Chysler slant six before. I replacedc valve covers on my old 1986 GM V6. But all of this work was "old school".

I know I will need a torque wrench and some torx drivers to remove the screws.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for you help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTchemist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTchemist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1
Default Re: Replacing valve cover gaskets myself?

I've not done this job myself.
I looked at the FSM and it looks reasonably easy but I would suggest having the manual at hand.
You do have to pull the intake manifold to get the covers off and the manual shows 22 separate steps to doing that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:05 AM   #3
mb31
mb31 is on a distinguished road

Wrench Re: Replacing valve cover gaskets myself?

I recently sprung a leak around my front valve cover as well (2003 3.0L V6) and thought about replacing it myself. If you perform the procedure, please take pics and/or post an update about how it went. I replaced a valve cover in the past with a different vehicle and it was not too bad; I am curious to see how it goes with the Vue... good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mb31's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mb31 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mb31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
MasterZ
MasterZ is on a distinguished road

any more info on this.. I am thinking of attempting the same thing..

Jason Ory
www.Z28.com
Owner/Admin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MasterZ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MasterZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MasterZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
rayzur9
rayzur9 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

They are Camshaft Covers, and they leak like a sieve in mine as well. Smell the burning oil, clean oil spots in the driveway. The procedure looks ok if you have scantool to stop the feul pump, or the guage bar set to relieve fuel pressure. which is step one. Its going to be a PIA in any case, but its got to be done on mine as well. 2003 3.0L V6.
The throttle body gets set aside, the ignition comes off, and evidentally there are cheap-o-delic bolts to worry about. Fun Fun!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rayzur9's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rayzur9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rayzur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
erdman50265
erdman50265 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

I did myself couple weeks back, napa carries the valve cover gaskets but only one style ( l81 has two styles a one piece and a two piece) napa carries the two piece which is what i needed... Saturn told me you could cut the bridge off the one piece and would work, but doesnt make much sense as i looked at it the molding wouldnt line up correctly.anyway napa carried for $40. I had no info to do this just a couple torq specs i found on here but just statrted digging into it.. first I removed the battery,the air intake assembly then the fuel lines to the throttle body ( since i had no manual or referances on how to put all this back together again i labled everything as i took it off (example wrote #1 on duct tape attached it to fuel line then wrote # 1 near where i had unhooked it from, so on and so on ) did that for everything made things much easier to put back.. then removed throttle body and replaced the gasket for that ($12 from saturn) . continued to unhook,unplug,and label.. finally removed the top manifold cover and the u'll have access to the 5 bolts holding manifold on theres also a bolt under the throttle body as well. was then able to pull manifold off.. removed the boot assembly for the plugs, unbolted the valve covers .. changed em out put put coper gasket sealant on changed the plugs and put back together again.... took several hours to do only cause i didnt no what steps or what order to take. the next time and there will be a next time cause now im getting a ses p0128 code for the thermastat will take only a fraction of the time..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to erdman50265's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help erdman50265 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
erdman50265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
VTchemist
VTchemist has a spectacular aura aboutVTchemist has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L

So, here is what I did.

I had the dealership change my valve cover gaskets when I had them to the timing belt and plugs. The cost was $150 to replace both (P&L). They were pretty well shot.

All is running well. No more oil smell in my VUE.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTchemist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTchemist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
joenrae
joenrae is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTchemist View Post
My 2003 VUE V6 has started to emit the smell of burning oil when I come to a stop. I checked under the hood. I looks like oil (in small amounts) is seeping from the valve cover gaskets onto the exhaust manifold.

I have read the threads on this matter and understand that this a common problem to the 2003 V6 engine. Some threads discuss changing the gaskets out (about $40 each) and solving the problem. I understand the front and rear seals can also be a source of oil leaks. I don' think this is the case with my VUE.

My problem is that I have never had a vehicle in which the intake manifold hides all the goodies (spark plugs and covers). Is there a "How to" with pictures anywhere to describe how to take it off? One thread mentioned the process. I'd love to see photos of what's underneath.

Also, if I replace the valve cover gaskets, shouldn't I do the plugs? I have 80K on them, so it seems the right time.

I have done a valve job on my old 1974 Chysler slant six before. I replacedc valve covers on my old 1986 GM V6. But all of this work was "old school".

I know I will need a torque wrench and some torx drivers to remove the screws.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for you help.
Hi, I have the same issue. Do you have step by step instructions(&Photos) to remove valve covers. I would like to do this job. I would appreciate any help since I do not have a manual. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joenrae's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joenrae reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
joenrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
snicknc
snicknc is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

If you shear those manifold bolts, the replacement size is:

M6-1.0

An E2 easy-out bit paired with a 7/64 drill bit with get any sheared bolts out of the manifold.

FWIW

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snicknc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snicknc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snicknc is offline   Reply With Quote