SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2007, 07:41 AM   #81
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2008 Saturn Astra Info and Photos

"Premium" compact: Astra
entry-level sub-compact: Corsa

..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pete93SL1M is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2007, 11:04 AM   #82
PaulGraz
PaulGraz has a spectacular aura aboutPaulGraz has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Like it or not, GM brands have a pecking order. GM doesn't really want its brands directly competing with each other. Chevy is the low priced entry level brand. Pontiac a little more upscale, and Saturn a little higher still. Then you have the luxury brands, Buick, Saab, Caddy...

They are NOT going to let Saturn have a low priced car that would directly compete with the Cobalt or Aveo. The Ion was basically - and I don't mean to insult any Ion owners - a high-end version of the Cobalt. Built on the same platform but not meant to directly compete. The price differences between the 2 show that.

I could go on - Vue/Equinox/Torrent? G6/Aura/(upcoming)Malibu? The Solstice has a lower base price than the Sky, but the Sky has better std equipment.

For now the Astra will only be sold in the US as a Saturn, but I'd be willing to bet that if GM starts building them in North America, a version will surface for another GM brand, probably Pontiac - and I'll bet the Saturn will be better equipped when that happens...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulGraz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulGraz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulGraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:28 PM   #83
gadgetUK
gadgetUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordkosc View Post
where is the center arm rest in these pics?
we dont get armrests in the UK , they are available as an optional extra but almost non of the cars i have ever seen have them , we also dont get cup holders , so we are waiting for the US version of the Astra to be released so we can order replacement parts that contain cup holders

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gadgetUK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gadgetUK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gadgetUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:36 PM   #84
Bigwallyz
Bigwallyz is on a distinguished road

The Saturn Astra will open up to more tuner enthusiasts out there in the import world. Watch it give Civic's a run for their money. I would like to see that.

Owner of www.MilitaryTuners.com

Come and check it out if you are in the Military or have ever served at one time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigwallyz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigwallyz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigwallyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:39 PM   #85
Red514LX
Red514LX is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

I don't care how good the car looks, or that it's going to get 2mpg more than brand x, or that it's light-years ahead of the ion, etc. etc. - this car, with 126lb-ft of torque, is going to be a dog.

I'd gladly take the Cobalt SS/Sport w/ 160+lb-ft for less $$ instead.

It's too bad. The Astra looks killer - inside and out. Too bad it's anything but.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Red514LX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Red514LX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Red514LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:37 AM   #86
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red514LX View Post
I don't care how good the car looks, or that it's going to get 2mpg more than brand x, or that it's light-years ahead of the ion, etc. etc. - this car, with 126lb-ft of torque, is going to be a dog.

I'd gladly take the Cobalt SS/Sport w/ 160+lb-ft for less $$ instead.

It's too bad. The Astra looks killer - inside and out. Too bad it's anything but.
Yep, a dog. Just like the Honda Civic (128 lbs/ft).

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:24 PM   #87
trekkerguy
trekkerguy is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwallyz View Post
The Saturn Astra will open up to more tuner enthusiasts out there in the import world. Watch it give Civic's a run for their money. I would like to see that.
Yes then it needs to give US an actual Car(Sedan, Coupe etc.) and some more performance. Maybe Redline it or something.

I still can't believe they are giving it fewer horses and less torque than the ION with it weighing more.

myspace.com/trekkerguy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trekkerguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trekkerguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trekkerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:25 AM   #88
Seasoned
Seasoned is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snags41 View Post
No station wagon!!

It looks like I'll have to keep driving my SW2 for several more years. I'll want to replace it with something that holds lots of stuff when I need it and gets good mileage as well. It appears I'll have to look elsewhere.
Everybody is building crossovers these days, so there is little chance of a station wagon in the US (Even though I believe ther is one available in Europe).

If you want occasional cargo capacity with good gas mileage you should consider the Pontiac Vibe, no, I am serious, go try one!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Seasoned's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Seasoned reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Seasoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:12 PM   #89
PaulGraz

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasoned View Post
Everybody is building crossovers these days, so there is little chance of a station wagon in the US (Even though I believe ther is one available in Europe).

If you want occasional cargo capacity with good gas mileage you should consider the Pontiac Vibe, no, I am serious, go try one!
Pontiac Vibe = rebadged Toyota Matrix. No thanks.

Higher gas prices are helping bring back the wagon. Maybe people will wise up and realize how much 4WD is costing them on every mile they drive.

Some makes still do well with wagons. Volvo & Subaru come to mind first. Isn't there still a Focus wagon? Look for the stretched MINI Clubman to be hitting here soon. BMW, Mercedes, and even Jag have wagon versions of their cars. Pontiac is planning a RWD wagon, but an Astra wagon - IMHO - would be a good addition to round out the product line...

A Saturn sales person tried to push me into a Vue when I complained about the lack of any Saturn wagon. It didn't work. An SUV is not a wagon, and some of us just do not want an SUV...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help PaulGraz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:15 AM   #90
JTav8r
JTav8r has a spectacular aura aboutJTav8r has a spectacular aura aboutJTav8r has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Paul (& others),
I understand that some folks don't want an SUV. However, the reason I believe you will not see an Astra Wagon any time soon is the L-series. I just entered the Saturn family this past year when my Chevy Tracker 4WD (Read as Suzuki Grand Vitara)got totaled. The situation I was in, I needed a vehicle that could haul some stuff when needed, but would also not cost any more that the insurance settlement I was expecting to receive.

I found a 2001 LW-300 with 41K miles on it. It had been on the Saturn retailers lot for almost 90 days, and they were about to wholesale it. I got it for about $1100 under book (NADA) simply because, according to the salesman - wagons don't sell. If that car was the sedan, it would have sold a month ago for $2500 more than you are paying for the wagon.

I realize that this is just on data point, but I have seen that the wagons do not sell when compared to sedans and SUV's. With a low volume brand like Saturn, I don't believe they will want to bring on a low volume body like a wagon any time soon. I mean look at how few Auras they sold last year, even with NA COY.

I agree about the SUV vs. Wagon and am glad I got one. I get better mileage and pay less in insurance not having to cover possible "replacement cost" for all that extra drive gear. Also less in maintenance. A wagon is great for me, I just do not see the market supporting an Astra Wagon.

It sucks to be "out of the norm".

John

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JTav8r's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JTav8r reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JTav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #91
PaulGraz

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I understand what you're saying, but they really need to examine why "wagons don't sell". Why can other makes like Volvo sell a bunch of wagons? Part of the reason is that by and large, people assume that GM doesn't have a wagon anymore. And to a certain extent, I think that's just Saturn marketing at work - tell people that wagons dont sell and steer them into a Vue...

I've got an old Volvo 240 sedan that I need to sell. I've already had 3 prospective buyers tell me "if it were only a wagon". And all 3 of those would prefer a 5-speed manual.

Pontiac has the Vibe and it seems to be popular. Chevy has the HHR, which is a nice compromise between and wagon and an SUV. Saturn has decided that their solution for this market segment is the Vue.

Lately, I think GM sells what they want to sell and ignores market trends until it's too late. Thats starting to change, and they certainly have more interesting cars now than they did 5 years ago. But there's still work to be done...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2008, 11:50 PM   #92
EsselOne
EsselOne is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
2005 ION-2 Sedan

I'll agree with the wagon argument, GM just does not want to remanufacture these as yet but...

They are doing just that everyday with the Vue/Outlook. These are wagons in every sense but are just bigger (relative to a Roadmaster or Impala?) and marketed in a different way. Are these products that uncool? No.

As a family we pull into a shopping center parking lot, not second look. Disappointed, hardly. But when leaving, popped the hatch on the LW, I have noticed side long glances like: what the..?....throw bought booty into the wayback, at knee level and maybe pull the privacy screen, jump in and drive off in pseudo-Euro splendor. We All Know....it works.

New Astra three/five door with a hatch. Aura wagon, not that difficult to engineer what with all those Vauxhall estates out there. RL with DI V6 and manual XWD anyone?? Not out of the realm....

Western CO Saturn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EsselOne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EsselOne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EsselOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #93
alfkorda
alfkorda is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Saturn should be offering more engine options. The 2.0 Supercharged Ecotec and 2.4L should be available. They are going to doom this car from the start.
QFT, man this is going slow

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alfkorda's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alfkorda reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alfkorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #94
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR

found this on another forum today. Guy saw an Astra at the Philly auto show:
Quote:
Originally Posted by other forum's member
there was a lady up there asking if we had questions about the car. I asked the basic questions pretty much to see if she actually knew anything about the car. She seemed surprised that I knew so much about how it was a Vauxhall/Opel just rebadged, things like that. She knew everything I asked her and was really confident in her answers, so I threw out the question..."So...when are they gonna make the Astra Redline?" Her reply went something like...

"Ah, so you know more than I thought..." (dunno what that means but I explained I had an Ion Redline, and that I thought the Astra was kind of cool). "Well, what's going to happen is we're keeping the Redline on hold for now. We want to see how well this car does in the states first. If it does as good as we hope it should in the first year or so, then they've got plans for the Astra Redline to start production." She even threw out the "It'll have the 2.0L Ecotec Turbo setup...we're hoping to just bring the Astra OPC, or VXR over..."
IMO they've already screwed it in the states, so that should say right there that there's not going to be a redline trim.

+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #95
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member
OPEL Blitz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Astra is avalible as a sedan, 3/5-door hatch, station wagon, van and a twintop (RHT) in Europe.

2007 OPEL Astra Diesel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OPEL Blitz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OPEL Blitz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OPEL Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:18 PM   #96
gadgetUK

Quote:

UK station wagons but not available in the US cwazy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help gadgetUK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #97
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetUK View Post
looks like u've got quite the aftermarket... maybe i'll have to get an astra and shop the UK spots for parts

anybody boosted one over there yet?

+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:40 PM   #98
gadgetUK

depends on what ya mean mate , there is the VXR which is the sport model in the Uk , only available as a 3 door and thats a 2.0 ltr Turbo , some of the guys have gone mad and upped the power by changing the ECU maps , changing exhausts and enlarging turbos , even the diesel has gained hugely from add on boxs or re-maps and different exhausts , the VXR is a scarry car when its been messed with , its small , light and DAMN quick ...300+ horses are not uncommon , not cheap either

recognised Astra tuners in the UK are DAP developments , VXPRC ( vauxhall performance and racing ) where i`m off to next month for a meet and maybe some work to the car , Regal Autosport ( just up the road from me ) and Thurlby sport but they are more diesel orented

have a search around with the names from above on the net and see what turns up to give you a little idea as to how far the Astra tuning has got in the UK

failing that , just join AstraOwnersNetwork.co.uk , we have all the above as sponsors on our site and you can read from real world peeps who have and are messing with Astra`s

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2008, 02:34 PM   #99
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetUK View Post

Wagons just aren't as popular here as they are over there. Hatchbacks and wagons both are like four-door sedans over there. The current Astra probably wouldn't be financially worth it for GM to bring it over.
They say we're supposed to get the next gen Vectra/Insignia wagon over here to supplement the new Aura sedan...but that was a while ago, so we'll see what happens.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:03 AM   #100
EDUBB
EDUBB is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

ive been out the saturn game since my car got stolen last summer.
but im getting back in it because of this. WOOOOOO!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EDUBB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EDUBB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EDUBB is offline   Reply With Quote