SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2007, 12:33 AM   #61
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: 2008 Saturn Astra Info and Photos

I'm reading the press release
Quote:
Saturn offers two trim levels (XE and XR) for five-door models, and a single trim (XR) in the three-door configuration, which was created with more enthusiastic drivers in mind.
and having deja vu from 1991 Saturn that offered the SL/SL1 and SL2 sedan, and the SC coupe.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2007, 11:16 AM   #62
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2 View Post
I'm reading the press release and having deja vu from 1991 Saturn that offered the SL/SL1 and SL2 sedan, and the SC coupe.
That's interesting....didn't think of that.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:20 PM   #63
Mr. Neutron
Mr. Neutron is on a distinguished road

1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL View Post
If these figures are indicative it looks like the 3 door would do 0-62 in the 10 second range.
With 140 hp??? Either the car is a giant hunk of lead or those figures aren't right. The 2007 Hyundia Elantra is a mid-size car with a 138 hp plant and has better acceleration than that!

I love the looks of the 5-door, BTW. It looks classy, distinctively European, and cute. I've always lusted after the Mazda3, but couldn't get past the high sticker price and low MPG. This already has the 3 beat by 4 or 5 MPG and if they can price it a couple of G lower, it definitely has my attention. Price this under $17k and I just found the replacement for my current SL.

1999 SL base 5-speed manual with AM/FM and A/C. Purchased new. 155,000 miles and still running like a dream!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mr. Neutron's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mr. Neutron reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mr. Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:08 PM   #64
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL View Post
I just found a set of performance stats for the Opel Astra which might give us an idea of how the Saturn will perform with the standard 1.8 liter engine.

http://www.opelastrah.com/

If these figures are indicative it looks like the 3 door would do 0-62 in the 10 second range. I wonder if we'll have to wait for the second model year for an optional engine.
What's the tranny geared for - economy or speed?

And are these numbers achieved using the manual or automatic? The NA buyers got a taste of real power with the LE5 (2.4L Ecotec) motor, so the 1.8 Family II Ecotec, even with output matching that of our L61 (2.2L Ecotec), is going to be seen as a step down.

Any optional engine will result from two scenarios: the inclusion of the Astra OPC as Red Line for 2009, or production shifting to Lordstown (or Mexico).

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:12 PM   #65
PaulGraz
PaulGraz has a spectacular aura aboutPaulGraz has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Re: Price

Of course final pricing isn't out yet, so we're speculating here - but I think it will be priced right.

I'm considering buying one of three cars to replace our LW200. The cars we're looking at are all 2-door hatch's that are smaller than the LW, because that's what we want. The 3 candidates are the MINI Cooper, the Volvo C30, and the Saturn Astra. The Astra will undoubtedly be the least expensive of the 3. The Volvo seems to have the best styling (and biggest price tag), and I expect the MINI will have the best handling.

(I already own a 03 MINI Cooper S, I've owned 4 Saturns counting the LW still in our "fleet", and I have 2 classic Volvo's in the garage. So yes, there's a 3-way brand loyalty thing going on here...)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulGraz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulGraz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulGraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:41 PM   #66
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

All I know is this thing better drive like a dream and get great gas mileage or we're sunk. Less power and more weight do not make a quicker car unless it is geared like crazy- 4-speed auto isn't gonna cut it there.
Anyone who has driven a Mazda 3 or a mini Cooper or BMW knows it's more than just raw power to make a great driving car. However, gobs of power or superduper gas mileage can make up for a lack of all other stuff!

..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pete93SL1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:38 PM   #67
lordkosc
lordkosc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete93SL1M View Post
All I know is this thing better drive like a dream and get great gas mileage or we're sunk. Less power and more weight do not make a quicker car unless it is geared like crazy- 4-speed auto isn't gonna cut it there.
Anyone who has driven a Mazda 3 or a mini Cooper or BMW knows it's more than just raw power to make a great driving car. However, gobs of power or superduper gas mileage can make up for a lack of all other stuff!
I agree and I will test drive one once they come out, I doubt it will be anything like driving a Mazda 3

160 ponies is a sweet feel in small car... 140 ponies not so sweet...

08 Mazda 6 ? 08 Vue Hybrid ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lordkosc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lordkosc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lordkosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:42 PM   #68
saturn_69
Master Member

Wow. This interior option looks nice.....

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2007, 02:52 PM   #69
saturn_69
Master Member

This one too.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-14-2007, 09:06 PM   #70
lordkosc
lordkosc is on a distinguished road

where is the center arm rest in these pics?

08 Mazda 6 ? 08 Vue Hybrid ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lordkosc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lordkosc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lordkosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:25 AM   #71
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordkosc View Post
where is the center arm rest in these pics?
Europeans have strong enough shoulders that they don't need to rest their forearms while they drive. Just kidding, it's there, between the seats but the seats are pulled forward. It's kinda like the Ion armrest, the top slides to adjust length but tucks back out of the way when you don't need it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-16-2007, 09:03 PM   #72
05ion29
05ion29 is on a distinguished road

man i cant wait to have a manual again. i think that they should also push for some diesels, maybye the 2.2l dti. i could use over 200 ft lbs or torque. and 170 hp. and 40 mpg

^^^^^^^^--- stupid particles

2005 Silver Auto Ion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 05ion29's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 05ion29 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
05ion29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:15 PM   #73
BGK
BGK is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2 View Post
Let's hope Saturn/GM learned something from the L-Series and they don't Americanize the Astra
We can only hope that Bob Lutz has learned his lesson with his past flops such as the Pontiac GTO and Cadillac Catera. If most of the European companies (BMW, VW, Audi, etc) can keep most of the goodness in the US spec cars they sell here, then there is absolutely no reason for GM not to be able to do the same with the Astra. As an L series owner, I can attest to GM's feeble attempt to keep the car European. I would only consider the Astra if GM could make a performance version as capable and fun to drive as my Ford Focus SVT and without a turbo or supercharger.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BGK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BGK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:57 AM   #74
Sheldon
Sheldon is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Wow. Saturn's are truly amazing. I am really liking this new car not only because of the new look, but because of the options that you can choose from.

Thanks
Sheldon

2002 Saturn SC2

1997 Saturn SL2 --- Sold 2/10/08
-AEM Short Ram Intake
-Custom Exhaust

1995 Saturn SC2 - R.I.P.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sheldon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sheldon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #75
Snags41
Snags41 is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

No station wagon!!

It looks like I'll have to keep driving my SW2 for several more years. I'll want to replace it with something that holds lots of stuff when I need it and gets good mileage as well. It appears I'll have to look elsewhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Snags41's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Snags41 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Snags41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:47 AM   #76
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snags41 View Post
No station wagon!!

It looks like I'll have to keep driving my SW2 for several more years. I'll want to replace it with something that holds lots of stuff when I need it and gets good mileage as well. It appears I'll have to look elsewhere.
The 5-door Astra looks pretty much like a station wagon to me.

And good luck finding a small station wagon. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any on the market now.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:40 AM   #77
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete93SL1M View Post
The European Astras are geared numerically high:

3.83:1 for the stick, 4.12:1 for the slushbox.

I remember the days when gear ratios above 4.00:1 were the province of muscle cars. Now it seems like every compact (and the four cylinder G6) with an autotragic needs a final drive of 3.5:1 or higher to move with any kind of authority. IIRC, even the S-Series slushbox gearing is dialed in the upper threes.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:26 AM   #78
aoc_jam
aoc_jam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05ion29 View Post
man i cant wait to have a manual again. i think that they should also push for some diesels, maybye the 2.2l dti. i could use over 200 ft lbs or torque. and 170 hp. and 40 mpg

^^^^^^^^--- stupid particles
The 1.8L VVT Astra in geared for economy in Europe/UK as green activist are playing havock over here making your feel guilty for travelling 50 miles to work in a car and not cycling it! The figures aren't that impressive I'll agree with you. But look at it this way there actually doing some R&D. We've stepped up from the normal 1.8 which was rubbish. They are actually producing engines and there producing more HP & torque. Hurray!!! Look at the Civic Type R (new shape) its got the same engine as the last one and has had a new ECU remap and produces the same HP as the previous one.

The redline version (VXR) will be coming I have no doubts to America. It a weapon and a half. All the newspapers and magazines complain of torque steer. But if your even a half decent driver you can combat this, as the gas pedal isn't an on/off switch which means you can be more progressive. Also Vauxhall/Opel are working on better ECU maps to combat the torque steer by being more progressive with the boost. This is shown in the new Corsa VXR as it runs a 1.6 turbo with a boost controller. The Astra VXR due in 09/10 may have 4wd as well when its released. We currently have spy shots of it being tested at the Nurburgring in Germany as well as indipendant rear suspension like the UK Focus has. Strange how it was tried on the civics then ditched back for the standard beam.

But now the Astra is being sold in Europe, UK and USA imagine the R&D now being carried out! They can all pool their resources to make some serious engines, chassis & handling improvements as well as interior improvements hopefully. The armrest in the UK is not standard on all models unsure on the US though.

Also I hope they export the 1.9CDTI engine to you guys as well, with a very easy mod they can push 200BHP and over 400ftlb's of torque with ease and currently in development is another turbo, charge cooler, ECU remap and exhaust which will see it push 230BHP.

Anyway I hope you find the above useful?

jam

Last edited by aoc_jam; 04-05-2007 at 05:39 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aoc_jam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aoc_jam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aoc_jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:26 PM   #79
trekkerguy
trekkerguy is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatherton View Post
Leave the lower price section of the compact car market to Chevy and Pontiac.
Wtf? Why would you do that? So that any of us just starting out that need an entry level car get stuck with some Chevy or Pontiac crap?

Thats proposterous. Saturn has and should always be a great brand to start out with, with well priced quality compacts, and then when it's time to move up to higher performance/luxery move on to an Aura, Sky or an Outlook or something more expensive. No reason to put Saturn out of reach for those just starting out or who's parents aren't paying for everything.

Im rather glad that a nicely equiped ION only came out to about $15,500 since I had to come up with the down payment and am paying the car off myself and am having to work fulltime to do it. The Astra should be a step to improve the quality of Saturns image but not make it seem too good for anyone one who can't afford a Mazda or something.

myspace.com/trekkerguy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trekkerguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trekkerguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trekkerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:16 PM   #80
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkerguy View Post
Wtf? Why would you do that? So that any of us just starting out that need an entry level car get stuck with some Chevy or Pontiac crap?

Thats proposterous. Saturn has and should always be a great brand to start out with, with well priced quality compacts, and then when it's time to move up to higher performance/luxery move on to an Aura, Sky or an Outlook or something more expensive. No reason to put Saturn out of reach for those just starting out or who's parents aren't paying for everything.

Im rather glad that a nicely equiped ION only came out to about $15,500 since I had to come up with the down payment and am paying the car off myself and am having to work fulltime to do it. The Astra should be a step to improve the quality of Saturns image but not make it seem too good for anyone one who can't afford a Mazda or something.
You know that the Chevy Cobalt and Pontiac G5 are pretty similar to the ION, right?

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote