SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2007, 11:32 AM   #41
guyatherton
guyatherton is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2008 Saturn Astra Info and Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordkosc View Post
He-he I am biased, but since you brought up MAZDA , if you drove a Mazda 3 hatchback you wouldn't make it to the Saturn dealer for an Astra, its that damn good!

But I can understand the exchange rate issues... I am wondering once US production starts if there will be a price drop for that model year? Prolly the 09 or 2010...
The Mazda 3 is a great car and the reviews both here and in the UK confirm that. However the Astra sells very well in Europe, even for a time being the best selling compact (beating out the traditional top seller - VW Golf). The Astra reviews have also been pretty good so Saturn have a very competitive car in the Astra. We can argue about Astra vs Mazda 3 but it would be fair to say these are the best two standard compacts on the market (I am excluding GTi, R32, MazdaSpeed 3 etc as these are much more performance orientated).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guyatherton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guyatherton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guyatherton is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2007, 11:56 AM   #42
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
He-he I am biased, but since you brought up MAZDA , if you drove a Mazda 3 hatchback you wouldn't make it to the Saturn dealer for an Astra, its that damn good!
To you. Yes, I'd still make it to the Saturn retailer cuz the 3 is too small inside for me, especially for an overpriced Ford Focus. And only a couple of us have driven the Astra so that comment doesn't mean anything since none of the rest of us can compare the Mazda to the Astra yet. Jeez.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:57 PM   #43
lordkosc
lordkosc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn_69 View Post
To you. Yes, I'd still make it to the Saturn retailer cuz the 3 is too small inside for me, especially for an overpriced Ford Focus. And only a couple of us have driven the Astra so that comment doesn't mean anything since none of the rest of us can compare the Mazda to the Astra yet. Jeez.
Ummm if you have ANY car knowledge you will know the Focus is nothing like driving a 3. NOTHING LIKE IT!

And you are correct in saying my comment was premature, but soon we will all be able to give the Astra a spin ,and then a true comparison of the Astra vs the 3 can be made. I personally was considering an Astra, as I really like the style of the exterior, not so much the interior, and if it was closer to ion prices are today, but with that not happening with the exchange rate for the euro, so I'd rather get more vehicle for my money in a new 08 Vue made in North America.

I personally find the 3 to be quite roomy inside, but again thats a personal thing. I'm 6'0 close to 280lbs. not a little guy.

And in regards to the comment that the car sells well in Europe ,of course it will, it comes in around 10 different varieties, compared to Mazda 3 and its 4-5 varieties. It also looks a little better than the Mazda 3 is some aspects, and since its built in europe and not an import it should sell better there!

08 Mazda 6 ? 08 Vue Hybrid ?

Last edited by lordkosc; 02-07-2007 at 08:06 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lordkosc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lordkosc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lordkosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:01 PM   #44
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Ummm if you have ANY car knowledge you will know the Focus is nothing like driving a 3. NOTHING LIKE IT!

And you are correct in saying my comment was premature, but soon we will all be able to give the Astra a spin, and then a true comparison of the Astra vs the 3 can be made.

I personally find the 3 to be quite roomy inside, but again thats a personal thing.
I didn't say it drove like the Focus, I said it was an overpriced Focus. Yes, the original Focus isn't the basis for the 3, but the UK Focus is.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-07-2007, 08:13 PM   #45
lordkosc
lordkosc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I didn't say it drove like the Focus, I said it was an overpriced Focus. Yes, the original Focus isn't the basis for the 3, but the UK Focus is.
WELL THEN SAY UK FOCUS! lol... I could almost accept it being called an overpriced UK focus, On that aspect, I could agree as the UK focus is a really decent car from what I have read. The US focus has always been lackluster.

Sorry I got snappy...

08 Mazda 6 ? 08 Vue Hybrid ?

Last edited by lordkosc; 02-07-2007 at 08:27 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lordkosc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lordkosc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lordkosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #46
guyatherton

The Astra sold near 500,000 in the Europe (more than Camry sells in the US) against a huge number of competitors including the excellent Focus, Mazda 3, VW Golf, BMW 1 series, Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Renault Megane, Citroen C4, Peugeot 307 etc (you get the idea). It didn`t get these sales by being bad in any area. The Mazda 3 is certainly the other car in the compact class that competes on looks, driving style etc.

It is true the Astra is available in more body styles than the Mazda (most compacts are) but the wagon, sedan and convertible are not big sellers. The 3 and 5 door are where the sales are so it is fair to compare against Mazda 3 sales.

Bottom line it is nice to have some good quality compact cars to choose from.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help guyatherton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2007, 01:38 PM   #47
Corvair
Corvair is on a distinguished road

The thing looks like a cross between a Pontiac Vibe and a Dodge Caliber. Good grief. Couldn't they come up with something original? It's as if the styling department said, "Aw, heck, we can't come up with anything. Let's just make it look like a Mazda/Kia/Toyota/Honda/Ford Focus/Hyundai/Nissan/Dodge...." If you took off the Saturn logo, there would be virtually no way to know what kind of car this is.

The Chevrolet HHR is distinctive. So are the Mini Cooper, VW Beetle and Scion xB, to name a few. Why couldn't the Astra be distinctive?

Who gives the green light to these awful cookie-cutter designs? Bob Lutz?

Last edited by Corvair; 02-08-2007 at 01:51 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Corvair's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Corvair reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Corvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #48
DesertPuma
DesertPuma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvair View Post
The thing looks like a cross between a Pontiac Vibe and a Dodge Caliber. Good grief. Couldn't they come up with something original? It's as if the styling department said, "Aw, heck, we can't come up with anything. Let's just make it look like a Mazda/Kia/Toyota/Honda/Ford Focus/Hyundai/Nissan/Dodge...." If you took the Saturn logo off, there would be virtually no way to know what kind of car this is.

The Chevrolet HHR is distinctive. So are the Mini Cooper, VW Beetle and Scion xB, to name a few. Why couldn't the Astra be distinctive?

The 5-door doesn't look so bad (it kind of reminds me a liitle bit of the SW2) but the 3-door is butt-ugly.

Still waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much chrome...What's the obsession for all that chrome anyway? It makes the whole line look gawdy.

Now a proud Subie owner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DesertPuma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DesertPuma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DesertPuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:03 PM   #49
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
The thing looks like a cross between a Pontiac Vibe and a Dodge Caliber. Good grief. Couldn't they come up with something original? It's as if the styling department said, "Aw, heck, we can't come up with anything. Let's just make it look like a Mazda/Kia/Toyota/Honda/Ford Focus/Hyundai/Nissan/Dodge...." If you took the Saturn logo off, there would be virtually no way to know what kind of car this is.

That's funny. The Astra was designed in 2000. So, who copied who?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2007, 02:56 PM   #50
Corvair

Quote:
That's funny. The Astra was designed in 2000. So, who copied who?
And it's a 2008 model? Do they still have a styling department? What have they been doing the past seven or eight years? Jeez...

Don't tell me - I'll bet they're now working on the 2015 model, and it'll look like a revamped Ford Aspire.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Corvair reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2007, 03:20 PM   #51
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
And it's a 2008 model? Do they still have a styling department? What have they been doing the past seven or eight years? Jeez...

Don't tell me - I'll bet they're now working on the 2015 model, and it'll look like a revamped Ford Aspire.
No, they're working on the 2010 model, due in '09, actually. You couldn't get the Astra here until this year, so it's not like it's old to the U.S.. My bad, by the way, the current Astra came out in '04, not '00, so it's only 4 years old.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2007, 03:59 PM   #52
SkyVue
SkyVue is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Doesn't matter on the years it took. It still is a nice looking car in my opinion. Just goes to show you, that you can't please everyone. I can't wait to get my hands on one!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SkyVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SkyVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SkyVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:07 PM   #53
Corvair

Quote:
No, they're working on the 2010 model, due in '09, actually. You couldn't get the Astra here until this year, so it's not like it's old to the U.S.. My bad, by the way, the current Astra came out in '04, not '00, so it's only 4 years old.

Okay, fair enough. The Astra name is new to the U.S.

It's a subjective thing, but I'm sick to death of all these look-alike, jellybean shaped cars. There's no more than a handful out there that you wouldn't mistake for anything else - Ford Mustang, Chrysler 300, the butt-ugly Honda Element, the ones I mentioned above and maybe a couple others - but the vast majority of the rest are utterly generic and interchangeable. I don't see any excuse for it other than lack of imagination on the part of stylists. I'd swear there is one "design center" somewhere, and all the auto companies buy their designs from them, make subtle tweaks to the front and rear, and then slap on their own logos. Voila!! An "all new" car!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #54
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Okay, fair enough. The Astra name is new to the U.S.

It's a subjective thing, but I'm sick to death of all these look-alike, jellybean shaped cars. There's no more than a handful out there that you wouldn't mistake for anything else - Ford Mustang, Chrysler 300, the butt-ugly Honda Element, the ones I mentioned above and maybe a couple others - but the vast majority of the rest are utterly generic and interchangeable. I don't see any excuse for it other than lack of imagination on the part of stylists. I'd swear there is one "design center" somewhere, and all the auto companies buy their designs from them, make subtle tweaks to the front and rear, and then slap on their own logos. Voila!! An "all new" car!
That's a pretty edgy jellybean....looks more like a Toblerone bar to me. If you think the Astra is bland, Toyota must be as spicy as dishwater to you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2007, 04:45 PM   #55
Corvair

Quote:
That's a pretty edgy jellybean....looks more like a Toblerone bar to me. If you think the Astra is bland, Toyota must be as spicy as dishwater to you.
You're not kidding. Toyota, Kia and Honda are probably the worst offenders, IMHO.

("...Toblerone bar..." LOL!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2007, 06:05 PM   #56
guyatherton

Corvair - the design you state as liking are all retro (HHR, Mini etc) and sometimes retro doesn`t lastlong, just ask Chrysler with the PT Cruiser which was a big hit then fades away. Or ask VW with the Bettle which was a hit in 1999/2000 and now is a minor seller (virtually dead in Europe).

BMW comes up with original design - just look at the controversy around the Bangle design. Love it or hate it, it is different. I would say the Audi TT is different, the Pontiac G8 just announced is a great design. So I would disagree with you that all cars look the same.

Even Toyota did something different with Scion and the FJ Cruiser. As you have seen from responses before you cannot please all the people all the time. Some love retro, some love modern and some love regular.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #57
Corvair

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatherton View Post
Corvair - the design you state as liking are all retro (HHR, Mini etc) and sometimes retro doesn`t lastlong, just ask Chrysler with the PT Cruiser which was a big hit then fades away. Or ask VW with the Bettle which was a hit in 1999/2000 and now is a minor seller (virtually dead in Europe).

BMW comes up with original design - just look at the controversy around the Bangle design. Love it or hate it, it is different. I would say the Audi TT is different, the Pontiac G8 just announced is a great design. So I would disagree with you that all cars look the same.

Even Toyota did something different with Scion and the FJ Cruiser. As you have seen from responses before you cannot please all the people all the time. Some love retro, some love modern and some love regular.
Guy, you are right, I'm a big fan of the retro look. But you mention a car like the PT - that design is, what, eight years old now? Of course it's cooled off. My question is why the heck hasn't Chrysler done anything with it since then? Yes, it's old hat now, but it was very different when it was introduced.

Also, I didn't say that all cars look the same, only about 90% of them. I pointed out some that have their own distinctive look, including the Scion (see my earlier post). I'm not familiar with some of the ones you mentioned, but if they're different that's great! It's about time.

I will confess that I miss the days when cars were redesigned every single year (for instance, Chevrolet from '56 to '59 was revamped four times - the good old days, before I was born). I'm also aware that the industry has evolved drastically in the last 30~40 years, and manufacturers can't afford to revise their designs every year. Still, I don't see any reason for the mind-numbingly dull cars all over the road.

(One more example, if I may: The Ford Five Hundred and the Volkswagen Passat. Did those two come off the same drawing board?? Check it out the next time you see them together. It's ridiculous.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-08-2007, 07:40 PM   #58
TCL
TCL is on a distinguished road

There's a link to an Edmunds video of the Astra on this page:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...id=ga11335701#

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TCL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TCL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:19 PM   #59
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatherton View Post
The Astra sold near 500,000 in the Europe (more than Camry sells in the US) against a huge number of competitors including the excellent Focus, Mazda 3, VW Golf, BMW 1 series, Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Renault Megane, Citroen C4, Peugeot 307 etc (you get the idea). It didn`t get these sales by being bad in any area. The Mazda 3 is certainly the other car in the compact class that competes on looks, driving style etc.

It is true the Astra is available in more body styles than the Mazda (most compacts are) but the wagon, sedan and convertible are not big sellers. The 3 and 5 door are where the sales are so it is fair to compare against Mazda 3 sales.

Bottom line it is nice to have some good quality compact cars to choose from.
Yet GM still feels the need to muck with it before offering it up in the US.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:52 PM   #60
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Yet GM still feels the need to muck with it before offering it up in the US.
Let's hope Saturn/GM learned something from the L-Series and they don't Americanize the Astra

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote