SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2007, 05:21 PM   #21
myoung
Advanced Member
myoung is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2008 Saturn Astra Info and Photos

The 2.2 is old and in need of a redesign. It's pretty much unchanged since 1999 when it made it's NA debut in the L-Series. Why does anyone think it should be in here? The 1.8 has VVT, which is why it has nearly the output of the 2.2 with 18% less displacement.

The 2.4 would be nice, but one of the boosted 2.0's would be better. I don't know anything about the 1.8, but if it carries the Ecotec name I should hope it shares the block with the 2.0/2.2/2.4. They're all the same shape, anyway. The 2.0 is cast different.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to myoung's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help myoung reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2007, 05:54 PM   #22
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung View Post
The 2.2 is old and in need of a redesign. It's pretty much unchanged since 1999 when it made it's NA debut in the L-Series. Why does anyone think it should be in here? The 1.8 has VVT, which is why it has nearly the output of the 2.2 with 18% less displacement.
I'd have to agree. The 1.8 looks to have nearly the same amount of horsepower as the 2.2. My concerns are the improvement in fuel mileage and, like I said before, torque.

Quote:
The 2.4 would be nice, but one of the boosted 2.0's would be better. I don't know anything about the 1.8, but if it carries the Ecotec name I should hope it shares the block with the 2.0/2.2/2.4. They're all the same shape, anyway. The 2.0 is cast different.
I hope we don't have to wait long before an upgraded engine is available on the XR. The Astra XR would be the only Saturn XR-level without an engine upgrade over the XE.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:08 PM   #23
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

The 1.8 listed on the Opel site is an iron block/aluminum head, timing belt equipped engine with the intake manifold/exhaust manifold set up like the Saturn 1.9L (intake rear/exhaust front). If that's the case, it's not the same as our Ecotecs.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:59 PM   #24
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

I'm shocked that there's actually a 160-MPH speedometer on the Astra! I thought we weren't getting the OPC - at least right away.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:53 PM   #25
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGraz View Post
Uh, yeah - that'll save all of 3 lbs (maybe) and knock off maybe $50-75 off the price of the car.

What's the big deal with OnStar - you don't like it, just don't use it...

Along with the fact that this "feature" is being added on to a perfectly good car for NO REASON, and the owner has no choice in the matter, it goes to the old The more you fancy up the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the pipes.

I'd be happy to consider purchasing an unadulterated Astra. Though GM, it seems, is determined to prevent that possibility. This car, AS IS, is popular and selling well in Europe. LEAVE IT ALONE and let us (US?) have it the same way here!

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:08 PM   #26
PaulGraz
PaulGraz has a spectacular aura aboutPaulGraz has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

You're right - they should also take all that other useless stuff off - like the power windows & locks, the air bags, the A/C, the power steering & brakes, ABS, the fuel injection (carbs are much simpler), the radio - all that stuff will just break eventually anyhow...

Have you considered a nice low mileage 62 Chevy?

Meanwhile - and I know this sounds preposterous - but there might be people that actually see value in the On-Star system...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulGraz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulGraz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulGraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:28 PM   #27
robert4380
robert4380 is on a distinguished road

Mad Re: 2008 Saturn Astra Info and Photos

I can kind of see the previous poster's point about not wanting all the extras as standard features. If this car starts out at 19 grand, if that's the entry point, Saturn may turn a lot of its customers off.

On a personal note, I'd just like to put my 2 cents in over my disappointment for this car. It has a smaller engine, makes less horsepower, and gets slightly less gas mileage than my Ion does. What the heck? And 18 inch rims on a 140 horse car that does 0 to 60 in 10 seconds? C'mon... Yes the 3 door does look good, but I already have the feeling that this car won't fare so well when initially compared to the Mazda3 and the Civic. I mean, an automatic Civic with virtually the same engine specs gets 40 mpg. What's the Astra's advantage? C'mon Saturn, give me a reason, other than styling, to buy this car over the competition!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robert4380's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robert4380 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robert4380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:03 AM   #28
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGraz View Post
You're right - they should also take all that other useless stuff off - like the power windows & locks, the air bags, the A/C, the power steering & brakes, ABS, the fuel injection (carbs are much simpler), the radio - all that stuff will just break eventually anyhow...

Have you considered a nice low mileage 62 Chevy?
Now you're just being stupid. I said unmolested..not stripped.

Quote:
Meanwhile - and I know this sounds preposterous - but there might be people that actually see value in the On-Star system...
Then by all means, let them buy one equiped with it, and pay more for this added "value!"

As for the rest of us, sell us one for LESS without it! Its about getting and paying for what YOU WANT, not what GM thinks you should have. (And we are not talking about required equipment here!) And there is no way not to use Onstar..it is ALWAYS ON and hardwired into the computer (BCM) control systems of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
The 2.2 is old and in need of a redesign. It's pretty much unchanged since 1999 when it made it's NA debut in the L-Series. Why does anyone think it should be in here? The 1.8 has VVT, which is why it has nearly the output of the 2.2 with 18% less displacement
The 2.2 / 2.4 Ecotech is a proven powertrain. If it ain't broke, you don't "redesign it." Modified 2.2's have produced horsepower numbers approaching 800! Even the turbo version in the ION Redline (which folks raved about) did quite well, even detuned for the driving public.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:06 AM   #29
1995 SC2
1995 SC2 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Down Re: 2008 Saturn Astra Info and Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
They are going to doom this car from the start.
I agree 1000%!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1995 SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1995 SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1995 SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:04 AM   #30
TCL
TCL is on a distinguished road

This article contains the torque figures:

Inside Line

140 hp at 6,300 rpm and 126 pound-feet of torque at 3,800 rpm.

Okay for a base engine. I'll wait for GM to announce a model with an uprated engine. We'll probably test drive the car this fall to see how the rest of it stacks up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TCL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TCL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:22 AM   #31
lordkosc
lordkosc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilcher View Post
Looks like another beautiful Saturn I won't be buying because of the interior. Ugh. Too busy and doesn't look user-friendly IMO.
i agree, damn that center console looks bad... compaired to the new vue 08 and the aura 07 it looks horrible...... well i'll scratch this car off my list

08 Mazda 6 ? 08 Vue Hybrid ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lordkosc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lordkosc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lordkosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #32
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert4380 View Post
I can kind of see the previous poster's point about not wanting all the extras as standard features. If this car starts out at 19 grand, if that's the entry point, Saturn may turn a lot of its customers off.
Agreed that $19K is rich, that's probably what the XR 3-door will run. I could see Astra starting in the $15-16K range, but if anyone is expecting ION pricing, they aren't going to get it. As it stands, GM looks to lose money during the short-term import process with the Euro currency being strong against the US greenback.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:17 PM   #33
usa4624
usa4624 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

The 160 speedometer is for our friends that use the metric system. 100 k/mh = 63 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR898SL2 View Post

I'm shocked that there's actually a 160-MPH speedometer on the Astra! I thought we weren't getting the OPC - at least right away.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to usa4624's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help usa4624 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
usa4624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:30 PM   #34
lordkosc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR898SL2 View Post
Agreed that $19K is rich, that's probably what the XR 3-door will run. I could see Astra starting in the $15-16K range, but if anyone is expecting ION pricing, they aren't going to get it. As it stands, GM looks to lose money during the short-term import process with the Euro currency being strong against the US greenback.

GM is looking to lose customers if that is the price range for this car...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lordkosc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-06-2007, 09:51 PM   #35
guyatherton
guyatherton is on a distinguished road

The Astra will cost more than the Ion because it is imported from Europe - the exchange rate isn`t favourable at the moment and shipping costs. Also the Astra is a much better engineered and assembled car than the Ion. The old adage "you get what you pay for" is generally true.
Leave the lower price section of the compact car market to Chevy and Pontiac. Also the base Mazda 3 hatchback (also sold in Europe) starts at $18,175 (including delivery and not much discounting) so a 5 door Astra XE starting around $18-19,000 would compare well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guyatherton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guyatherton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guyatherton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:54 PM   #36
philip1
philip1 is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

in the UK Vauxhall produces whats known as the vxR it is a supertuned Astra that will go 150mph. The Us version will probably be called the redline. the arrival of the astra is good news there is hope yet that we will see the beloved VX220.

Phil

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to philip1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help philip1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
philip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:05 PM   #37
guyatherton
guyatherton is on a distinguished road

The Red Line (VXR or OPC in Euro speak) will be available but looks we will have to wait until the '09 model year since everything has been announced for '08 (unless there is a late surprise) - such as Aura Green Line, Vue, Vue Green Line, Vue Red Line and Astra. It will be a busy year for Saturn.

I was hoping the Aura Red Line would be out for '08 but I think that will wait until '09 now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guyatherton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guyatherton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guyatherton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:09 PM   #38
PaulGraz
PaulGraz has a spectacular aura aboutPaulGraz has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Saturn doesn't need a low end car to compete with the Chevy Cobalt & Ford Focus. They need a competitive car to compete with the MINI, VW GTI, Volvo C30 - this could be the car - eventually. The ION wasn't that car...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulGraz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulGraz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulGraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:32 AM   #39
lordkosc

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatherton View Post
The Astra will cost more than the Ion because it is imported from Europe - the exchange rate isn`t favourable at the moment and shipping costs. Also the Astra is a much better engineered and assembled car than the Ion. The old adage "you get what you pay for" is generally true.
Leave the lower price section of the compact car market to Chevy and Pontiac. Also the base Mazda 3 hatchback (also sold in Europe) starts at $18,175 (including delivery and not much discounting) so a 5 door Astra XE starting around $18-19,000 would compare well.
He-he I am biased, but since you brought up MAZDA , if you drove a Mazda 3 hatchback you wouldn't make it to the Saturn dealer for an Astra, its that damn good!

But I can understand the exchange rate issues... I am wondering once US production starts if there will be a price drop for that model year? Prolly the 09 or 2010...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #40
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordkosc View Post
GM is looking to lose customers if that is the price range for this car...
Why? An Ion 3 sedan starts at $15,290.00., the QC3 starts at $16,590.00. I say level 3 because that is closer to the level of standard equipment on the Astra. I don't there'll be any problem. Saturn isn't in the business of disposable cars like Kia or Hyundai, or like the Ion 1 or SL's for that matter. You want cheap? Buy a Chery when they get here. You want a fairly well equipped, stylish, refined car, buy the Astra.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote