SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2007, 12:41 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Arrow 2008 Saturn Astra Info and Photos

Information and photos of the 2008 Saturn Astra are now online.

Information
More Photos

Enjoy!
Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2007, 01:22 AM   #2
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2008 Saturn Astra Info and Photos

Saturn, at least make a true coupe of this car. Not that I have the least bit of intentions of ever getting an Astra anyways. I just can't stand the thought of Saturn not offering a small coupe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:54 AM   #3
TCL
TCL is on a distinguished road

Thanks for posting the release information. Looks good so far. No mention of an optional engine yet. The UK version of the car weighs 2,678 lbs which might be a lot for the standard 140HP engine to haul around with gusto. I think the interior would benefit from better surface material on the center stack. Probably something the aftermarket would take care of if GM doesn't.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TCL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TCL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
slv01sc2
slv01sc2 is on a distinguished road

Will there be any more powerful engines available? I would love to see the 2.4 or the 2.0 turbo. Anyone know the fuel economy figures for the 1.8?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slv01sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slv01sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slv01sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:05 AM   #5
TCL

I just found a set of performance stats for the Opel Astra which might give us an idea of how the Saturn will perform with the standard 1.8 liter engine.

http://www.opelastrah.com/

If these figures are indicative it looks like the 3 door would do 0-62 in the 10 second range. I wonder if we'll have to wait for the second model year for an optional engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TCL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TCL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2007, 10:13 AM   #6
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL View Post
Thanks for posting the release information. Looks good so far. No mention of an optional engine yet. The UK version of the car weighs 2,678 lbs which might be a lot for the standard 140HP engine to haul around with gusto. I think the interior would benefit from better surface material on the center stack. Probably something the aftermarket would take care of if GM doesn't.
The ION has similar horsepower and weight numbers as it is.

I'm wondering about the torque, though. I hope that doesn't drop too much.

I'm disappointed in only one engine choice. I had come to expect XE and XR to be more or less synonomous (sp?) with different engine choices, be it completely different engines (Aura, '08 VUE, etc.) or just outputs (Outlook 270 hp XE vs. 275 XR).

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
SkyVue
SkyVue is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

No mention if the Panoramic sunroof will be available? Overall I am pleased that there was no changing of the european dash and instrument panel. I have to get this car! Make mine silver with 5 speed.!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SkyVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SkyVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SkyVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:51 AM   #8
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Saturn should be offering more engine options. The 2.0 Supercharged Ecotec and 2.4L should be available. They are going to doom this car from the start.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:38 PM   #9
TCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp326 View Post
I'm wondering about the torque, though. I hope that doesn't drop too much.

I'm disappointed in only one engine choice. ...
I read that the 1.8 liter 140 HP engine in the European Astra has 129 ft lbs of torque. Not sure what the US engine will have.

My wife is looking at small hatchbacks to replace her small sport utility. I'd like to get her something that will do 0-60 in the 8 second range or less to help with highway merges and to give the car a more sporting feel. Looks like the 2 liter 170hp European Astra has that level of performance. Hoping that GM will announce an optional engine as a mid-year release.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TCL's Reputation
Old 02-04-2007, 12:56 PM   #10
Azrael_02
Azrael_02 is on a distinguished road

2009 VUE Red Line
2004 ION Red Line

EPA estimates 27/34 for the Astra. I so disappointed with the 1.8 engine as well. It's got the looks, but the industry is gonna kill it for that weak engine. Here's to hoping that some 2.0 liter is available shortly after launch. My guess is that it was a compromise on the engine to get production started quickly and cheaply for the U.S market.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Azrael_02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Azrael_02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Azrael_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 01:18 PM   #11
myoung
Advanced Member
myoung is on a distinguished road

1.8L 140 HP is going to be better received than 2.2L 145. And there's always room for change, IE Redline. Hopefully that will be the 2.0 Turbo, but the 2.0 SC would be nice as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to myoung's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help myoung reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #12
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL View Post
If these figures are indicative it looks like the 3 door would do 0-62 in the 10 second range.
That's absolutely pathetic. TBI SOHC s-series perfrom better than that.

Seeing as the 2.2 Ecotec is GM global 4-cylinder, I can't see them not using this engine. If they decide to use the 1.8 that's a horrible start from the beginning for this car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #13
TCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael_02 View Post
.... My guess is that it was a compromise on the engine to get production started quickly and cheaply for the U.S market.
Agree.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TCL's Reputation
Old 02-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #14
PaulGraz
PaulGraz has a spectacular aura aboutPaulGraz has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I already have a performance car - I'm looking to the Astra for economy. I realize gas prices are a little lower now - but they aren't going to stay that way...

Performance versions will come later.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulGraz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulGraz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulGraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #15
SpeedPlayer 97sl2
SpeedPlayer 97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2002 SC2

The lack of a more powerful engine makes me sad.

Here's to hoping for a Red Line version of the pumped-up GTC.

My reality check bounced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpeedPlayer 97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedPlayer 97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SpeedPlayer 97sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:54 AM   #16
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Perhaps the 0-100km times would be faster if they lightened up the car a bit. They could start by ripping out the OnStar. Mandatory OnStar just got the Astra crossed off my might be worth a look list.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:30 AM   #17
kilcher
Advanced Member
kilcher is on a distinguished road

Looks like another beautiful Saturn I won't be buying because of the interior. Ugh. Too busy and doesn't look user-friendly IMO.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kilcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kilcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kilcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:12 PM   #18
Corvair
Corvair is on a distinguished road

Do all cars these days come off the very same drawing board? Don't automotive stylists have the slightest bit of imagination? There is practically nothing at all distinctive about the looks of this car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Corvair's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Corvair reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Corvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:42 PM   #19
KrgION03
KrgION03 is on a distinguished road

I disagree. I think its VERY distintive. I've seen the Opel in person and I love it. It looks very European inside and out.

I like my Cooper S WAY better, but the two dont really compete anyway.

Kyle

18 Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic, Narvik Black
15 Porsche Cayman, Carrara White
Previous:
13 Porsche Boxster
09 Mercedes-Benz C300
06 Mini Cooper S
05 Saab 9-3
03 Saturn Ion2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KrgION03's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KrgION03 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KrgION03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:17 PM   #20
PaulGraz
PaulGraz has a spectacular aura aboutPaulGraz has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Perhaps the 0-100km times would be faster if they lightened up the car a bit. They could start by ripping out the OnStar. Mandatory OnStar just got the Astra crossed off my might be worth a look list.
Uh, yeah - that'll save all of 3 lbs (maybe) and knock off maybe $50-75 off the price of the car.

What's the big deal with OnStar - you don't like it, just don't use it...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulGraz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulGraz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulGraz is offline   Reply With Quote