SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
alethia
alethia is on a distinguished road

Default Body Control Module question

I just took my 2000 LS1 in to get some repairs done. But I had asked them to diagnos something for me. When I get in my car and not ALL the time my dashlights and the lights inside will flash constantly even with the key out and everything turned off. I can look outside my kitchen window and see the lights flashing at night when we havnt touched the car all day. They told me that the problem is the body control module in the car. My problem is this....I am a stay at home mom and we dont make much money so in order for me to repair this problem which they told me it would cost about 900 to fix I need to save over a few months....what can I expect to see if I let this problem persist for another few months. All I was told was that I could see other little things pop up and then I could get in my car and it wouldnt work. So I was wondering if anyone could answer this question a little better. I was frustrated and ready to get rid of this car because of multiple problems and this one just adds to the other 900 dollar problem with the AC Im trying to save for before summer. But any explanations would help me better prepare or help me keep an eye out for things. Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alethia's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alethia reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alethia is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Body Control Module question

Sorry to hear of your fate. I went through a BCM last year.
Fortunately, I have the100k warranty or else I would have had to fork over $400. I think your dealer is giving you the runaround. BCM's are a common problem with these cars. (although not exclusive to them) However, do a search here and you will find nobody has paid $900 to have this repair done.

Get a second opinion.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:55 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I would agree with ub as reading the forum listing L-series vehicles in the early years has a negative history of faulty BCM's. In addition to what was stated, if you have the factory anti-theft system, the BCM controls this and the worst condition to occur is that the anti-theft system will stay enabled effectively disabling the car, requiring a tow to the dealer for replacement and programming of the BCM. Not a good place to be in if it occurs. As was stated before, research in the L-series so you can become more familiar with this particular problem. Also seek a second opinion from perhaps another dealer regarding costs. You can even search for the part price, minus the programming and labor fees online. Try http://rockauto.com, http://saturnparts.net, or http://saturnparts.com.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
alethia

Yeah after I posted I saw some of the other posts and they were talking about 600 for it. They were going to have me pay 400 just to replace an O2 sensor too but I found other places that would do it for cheaper but it ended up being wiring instead so I was glad I didnt have to go through that. I will look to see if I can find another dealer around that was the only one listed in the phone book but if I can find one cheaper then I will go there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alethia reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2007, 11:16 PM   #5
marmaduke
marmaduke is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I spent 600 bucks on BCM last year. Throw in towing and car rentals on two occasions (lasting more than a week) then its almost 1000 bucks.

Kicker is that one guy offered me 500 for my car as trade in recently. I havent recovered from that shock yet... After all the money spent (totally 30 grand almost), this POS is worth 500? Granted some of that is my doing (no cosmetic upkeeping, earliar accident/paint peeling off) but still I was shaking my head...

Bottom line, You keep bleeding and this car is going to nickel and dime you. However, you cant get rid of it 'cause
a) its worth nothing
b) you sunk a lot of money into it

You know what they say in stock market regarding sinking stocks... cut your losses and move on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marmaduke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marmaduke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marmaduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #6
alethia

OK well I called another saturn dealer last night and they told me what you guys said it would be about 500-600 to repair it. But they wanted me to look at the paper to make sure on the notes thats it, because the quote was so high. I did and sure enough it was only the bcm so I called the other saturn dealer to have them check my notes and make sure that was it, and they said it was only the BCM. So just out of curiosity I had them do another quote for me guess what they told me this time 1300.00 to fix it. My jaw dropped. This is a dealer doing this. I cant believe this. Im tempted to call and not have them look up my file and quote me on the bcm again. The guy at the saturn dealer that Im going to go to couldnt believe this and wants me to bring in the paper the old dealer gave me because its almost 3 times over their price.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #7
Glasact
Glasact is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I had the BCM replaced on my wifes '02' L200 back in Oct. of 2006. $480.43 out the door for everything. They had even washed and vaccumed the car for me when I picked it up. The price they quoted to you, sounds like a total rip off to me. I have attached a picture of the old BCM that had failed and was returned to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Glasact's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Glasact reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Glasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
alethia

Yeah I did call the old dealer back and have them give me a quote without looking up my file and they told me 550 so I asked what was going on because I got 3 different quotes so they transfered me to the original guy that was working with me and he "mysteriously" could not find that old quote so they quoted me again and it was 550. So I know never to go back there....Im no dumb girl.....hehe :P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-01-2007, 03:54 PM   #9
DrummerBRG
DrummerBRG is on a distinguished road

Can anybody tell me why these faulty BCM's have not been recalled? I just had one replaced this past Sunday and it cost me $410 for something I did not do. I can understand something mechanical breaking down due to wear and tear but there was nothing to prevent this computer chip from failing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DrummerBRG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DrummerBRG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DrummerBRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:08 PM   #10
etp26
etp26 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBRG View Post
I can understand something mechanical breaking down due to wear and tear but there was nothing to prevent this computer chip from failing.

I think it may be the voltage problem that Saturn says is normal. Check out the light dimming problem with the L-series. Thats just my two cents.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to etp26's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help etp26 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
etp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #11
Rogue
Rogue is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1995 SL2

Well, now that I know what's coming up next on MY L300, I know how much to save!

Seriously, how difficult is it to replace the BCM on an L300?

It seems like just a large electrical part but with lots of labor to do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:58 AM   #12
etp26
etp26 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Well, now that I know what's coming up next on MY L300, I know how much to save!

Seriously, how difficult is it to replace the BCM on an L300?

It seems like just a large electrical part but with lots of labor to do.
You have to remove the glove box... It sets on top of the glove box.... However, I think they have to program the new BCM after installing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to etp26's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help etp26 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
etp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:23 AM   #13
marmaduke

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by etp26 View Post
However, I think they have to program the new BCM after installing.
Saturn techs themselves dont know it well. They call in the support somewhere to walk them thru...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help marmaduke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2007, 01:52 PM   #14
Partymmudasti
Advanced Member
Partymmudasti is on a distinguished road

Alethia where do you live?? I have a friend with a TECH II handheld. If you live in/near Michigan we can do this ourselves and save a load of $$ (man, sounds like a Geico commercial, LOL)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Partymmudasti's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Partymmudasti reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Partymmudasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:37 PM   #15
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmaduke View Post
Saturn techs themselves dont know it well. They call in the support somewhere to walk them thru...
Excuse me? What exactly are you trying to say?

Sounds like someone is bitter because they have to maintain their car....

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #16
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partymmudasti View Post
Alethia where do you live?? I have a friend with a TECH II handheld. If you live in/near Michigan we can do this ourselves and save a load of $$ (man, sounds like a Geico commercial, LOL)
Does he also have the rs 232 cable? It is downloaded from the delaerworld website, so it has to go from a PC to the tech2 into the BCM.

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:19 PM   #17
marmaduke

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy94sc2 View Post
Excuse me? What exactly are you trying to say?

Sounds like someone is bitter because they have to maintain their car....
And someone is drinking too much of GM kool-aid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2007, 10:19 PM   #18
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmaduke View Post
Where did you come up with that little nugget? I'm a Saturn tech and we know these cars inside and out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MoparNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MoparNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MoparNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:30 PM   #19
Partymmudasti
Advanced Member
Partymmudasti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy94sc2 View Post
Does he also have the rs 232 cable? It is downloaded from the delaerworld website, so it has to go from a PC to the tech2 into the BCM.
Yeah we actually had to do that to program a new memory module we installed into my Envoy (hes works at a Cadillac service dept). It was pretty cool. Link to PC, pick what you need - any updates whatsoever, then flash/reprogram module(s). Vedy vedy cool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Partymmudasti's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Partymmudasti reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Partymmudasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:40 PM   #20
alethia

Yeah Im not in michigan, Im in Colorado. I think I finally got everything set its gonna cost me about 450 for everything so thats not bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!