SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2001, 12:21 PM   #1
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to behold

1993 SW2
Default Rear washer, early SW

Hello,

On the later SW's as well as the LW's, the rear window washer squirts down from the top (a better approach, using gravity). On the earlier S-series wagons, such as my 1993 SW2, the washer is built into the wiper and sqirts upward in an arc while the wiper moves.

Well, with the glopping of salt on the roads here in recent days, I've noticed that it doesn't sqiurt up far enough so that the top third of the wiper blade's path never gets any washer fluid, and thus remains encrusted with salt. Is there anyway to fix this so that it squirts farther?

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2001, 07:46 PM   #2
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

cityhawk

As the owner of two wagons, you already know how dirty their back ends get.

The last really bad Winter here in PA (95-96) I had a problem with my rear wiper. It was making a sound like it was going to die. I cleaned all around it numerous times and sprayed silicone spray down into the works. After several treatments the nasty noise went away and I have not had another problem since.

I would try some hot soapy water around the washer jet and the rest of the wiper assembly, then after it is cleaned out and dry perhaps some silicone spray into the mechanical parts (not the window of course). Alcohol (or even some washer fluid) may help dissolve whatever is blocking the wiper nozzle also. And lastly, if it has been unseasonably extra cold, maybe it is partially frozen. Good luck! (Ever think about Florida about this time of year? We have already had over 50% of an average season's snow fall in Philly.)

Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100KSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100KSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2001, 07:50 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Got bad news for you. The early SW's rear wipers didn't spray up in an arc, they are suposed to spray straight up with out moving. Due to the design of the washer going through the middle of the wiper arm if the pivot centre wasn't kept lubed then the washer would sieze and start to arc spray. Eventually the piping gets tired of moving around and starts to crack and not spray as much because of reduced pressure. Unfortunatly the only real cure for this is to replace the entire rear wiper motor assmbly. Motor expensive, labour about 0.80 hour.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2001, 10:04 PM   #4
sattech
sattech is on a distinguished road

The next time you come in for service I'll be happy to take a look at it for you. The washer is adjustable to a certain extent, although the curvature of the back glass and the spray pressure are the deciding factors.
Just see the service consultant and request me.

Ernie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sattech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sattech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2001, 01:17 PM   #5
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to behold

1993 SW2

Thanks, Ernie.

On second notice today, the problem wasn't that it didn't spray far enough but that it pointed too far "out" so that the spray missed the window farther up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2001, 09:53 PM   #6
sattech

The nozzle on the rear wiper is a ball. It can be adjusted by putting a small pick in the nozzle hole and twisting the ball closer to or further away from the glass

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sattech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-21-2001, 01:35 PM   #7
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2

Thanks again Sattech. Is it really that bleak (replacing the whole motor ass'y) or can the nozzle be freed up?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-21-2001, 10:46 PM   #8
sattech

Unfortunately like ssicarman says, the only way to stop the washer nozzle from moving in an arc is to replace the motor assy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-23-2001, 12:59 PM   #9
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2

Is it possible to disassemble the motor assembly to free up the nozzle so it doesn't do this anymore?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-23-2001, 11:23 PM   #10
sattech

Tried it once but was unable to. The nozzle is connected to a hose at the motor. The connector is very fragile. I was unable to disconnect the hose without damaging the connector. of course the only way to remove the nozzle to clean that area is to disconnect the hose. You can try removing the wiper cap and soaking the nozzle with a good penetrating oil then use a pair of pliers and GENTLY twist the nozzle back and forth in small increments. Soak the nozzle again let sit ....... numerous times. Eventually the lubricant may break up the corrosion and flush it out. Plan to spend the better part of the day in the attempt. Let me know if it works.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-26-2001, 01:14 PM   #11
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2

Thanks! I might give it a try when I have some time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2001, 10:53 PM   #12
sattech

A FIX!!! Check the new post on this. NEW PART. And yes cityhawk I ordered one for stock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2005, 06:54 AM   #13
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: Rear washer, early SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattech
A FIX!!! Check the new post on this. NEW PART. And yes cityhawk I ordered one for stock.
Does anyone know what sattech is referring to when he says that there is a fix? Where it the new post he refers to?

Forget it, I found the post. Thanks

Last edited by trottida; 10-29-2005 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: Found what I was looking for

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread