SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
livingwaters
livingwaters is on a distinguished road

Default Code P0300

My daughter's 2000 LS, 2.2L recently started to run rough. The first problem came with the fans wanting to run even when engine is cold. I replaced coolant sensor- but no help. Checked codes in computer and it initially showed P0304 misfire and P0325- Knock sensor. Cleared codes and drove around a bit and P0300 kept comming up as well as fans running constantly. I am going to change plugs. Should I also change Boot set? What else do I need to look at? Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to livingwaters's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help livingwaters reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
livingwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Code P0300

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingwaters View Post
My daughter's 2000 LS, 2.2L recently started to run rough. The first problem came with the fans wanting to run even when engine is cold. I replaced coolant sensor- but no help. Checked codes in computer and it initially showed P0304 misfire and P0325- Knock sensor. Cleared codes and drove around a bit and P0300 kept comming up as well as fans running constantly. I am going to change plugs. Should I also change Boot set? What else do I need to look at? Thanks
When the engine is first started and idles high then returns to a normal idle after a few minutes of warm-up the coolant sensor is operating correctly. If the engine comes up to normal temperature with the heater blowing adequately the thermostat is operating correctly. Depending on mileage there is a point of when to replace the spark plugs as there wasn't any mileage posted. Possibly a bad tank of gas? Have you tried rapping the fan relay to break a possibly stuck contact that's keeping power on continuously to the fan? If that doesn't work try removing it from the fuse box as that should work, substitute it with another one. If you have a/c and its on the fan may be turned on to cool the condenser coil and the radiator together. Be sure to leave the a/c off. If the relay energizes (clicks) each time you put the relay back into its socket there may be something wrong in the ECM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
Mike Stallings
Mike Stallings is on a distinguished road

'02 L200 w/130,000 miles.
I just had the "fan running fast" even when the car is cold problem. Took it in to the Saturn dealer, asked for some "free" advice and was told that "free" advice costs $40. So $40 later they tell me the Fan Control module is bad, repair cost will be $265. Good thing it was not in stock, I might have let them do it. I went to the other dealer in town and bought the module for $137, same cost the original dealer quoted for parts only. But when I installed the new module (took less than 5 minutes to switch them out) I still had the fast/loud fan problem. I was getting quite depressed. I called dealer #1 and asked the service advisor if he had any other ideas, he says I now have to let them clear the codes to reset the system. Only way to clear the codes is they have to use a code reader thing. So I go home and remove the new Fan control module, then unhook both leads from the battery. Reinstall the module, reconnect the battery leads, and volia! no loud fan. I didn't try the old module again but wanted to, just to see if it was really bad or just needed a reboot.
I think dealer #1 would have reduced the repair by the $40 diagnostic charge, but I still saved almost $100 by doing it myself.
I don't know if that is the correct way to clear the codes, but seemed to work.
My biggest problem now is while at dealer #2, I happened to see they have a few of the new Hybrid Vues in stock. Man I've been wanting a new ride, and also wanting a hybrid too! If that fan starts acting up again I might be tempted to wrangle a trade!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mike Stallings's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mike Stallings reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mike Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:53 PM   #4
ksion15
ksion15 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2005 RELAY-3

this is no advice, i'm just glad to hear about this. i had one in the shop doing this not too long ago, but cust. didn't want to pay me to figure out what was wrong. if isee another, i will clear the codes and see what happens.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ksion15's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ksion15 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ksion15 is offline   Reply With Quote