SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2007, 12:20 AM   #1
Juli-
Juli- is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Weird sound/feeling when in Reverse

I own a 95' SL2 (keep in mind, previous owner didn't take car of it very well ) and sometimes when I have it in reverse, as I start to back up it will make a sound and feeling as if had hit something, but I didn't hit anything. It's just like a bump type of thing. When it does it, it feels as if you were to hit a curb or hit something from behind. The feeling/sound is very sudden, it's about only 1 second, and then the car is fine again. When it does it, it doesn't stop going in reverse (well I do since it freaks me out everytime it does it hehe) It's kind of hard to discribe it.. and it only does it every so often, but it's been doing it for about 4 months now. I've told my dad about it but he's driven it a lot and it has never done it while he was in reverse with it.

Anyone have any clue what it could be?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Juli-'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Juli- reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Juli- is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2007, 12:52 AM   #2
yazhere
yazhere is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Default Re: Weird sound/feeling when in Reverse

What is the mileage on the car and is it an automatic transmission. I am sure you will find an answer here in this forum...

If its an automatic, it is likely the beginning of the dreaded reverse slam. If you haven't had a ATF transmission fluid change along with the filter ($25 DIY) this will help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yazhere's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yazhere reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yazhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:03 AM   #3
Juli-

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It just hit 78k miles and it's an automatic. And I've recently ahd the transmission fluid change and filter (and a lot more) when I got it about a year ago (Mid of February it was done).
And I guess it's pretty loud too because my boyfriend heard it when I was backing up from his driveway, he was standing about 5 feet away.

Last edited by Juli-; 01-23-2007 at 01:18 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Juli- reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2007, 01:17 AM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

So the car is moving by the time you hear the noise?

Are you by chance applying the parking brake when you park? It's possible, albeit unlikely, that the noise is one of the brake shoes un-sticking as you start to move. If you are using the parking brake, try NOT using it one night. Then see if you get the noise next time you back up out of the driveway.

Above-mentioned tranny fluid/filter change should be done EVERY 30,000 miles. If the car's history is as you describe, it's possible it has never been done, so that would be step one anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:28 AM   #5
Juli-

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
So the car is moving by the time you hear the noise?

Are you by chance applying the parking brake when you park?

Above-mentioned tranny fluid/filter change should be done EVERY 30,000 miles. If the car's history is as you describe, it's possible it has never been done, so that would be step one anyway.
Yes, the car is already moving in reverse. (And I don't just gas it really fast, i'm going about 1-5miles per hour or so).

When I park, I put up the hand break first, then i put it in park (I think that's what you ment?)

And for the 30,000 miles thing, I have changed the fluid like I said in my previous post replying to the other guy :P (It was done at 71k). And it's due for another oil change which will be done soon.. (Last one was around 75,400k-75,700k miles)

Also, it does it the most if I am in a driveway that's downhill, it doesn't do it when it's cold because my driveway is downhill and it's never done it in the mornings, but it has in the afternoon before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2007, 01:38 AM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Oops, missed the mention of the tranny fluid change. And yeah, that's what I meant. Try parking it without setting the parking brake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2007, 01:39 AM   #7
madpogue

1996 SW2

Oops, missed the mention of the tranny fluid change. And yeah, that's what I meant. Try parking it without setting the parking brake.

Does it ever happen when you just put it in reverse after you've been driving it forward, such as when you're backing into a parking space?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2007, 01:46 AM   #8
Juli-

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Nope it hasn't when I've parked in a space. Only once in a parking lot before which was during the afternoon in a flat residential area, and the car was sitting there for about 2-3 hours (I was backing up to leave though). Most of the time only in driveways. It doesn't do it too often, but it does it a good 1-2times a week, and for some reason it does it mostly when no other people are around

And I'll try that none parking break thing for the rest of the week and see what happens. Only thing that freaks me out is when I put it in park and the car kind of swings back and forth for about 2 seconds hehhe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2007, 05:01 PM   #9
Juli-

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Alrighty! I take it back that it only makes the noise when I'm already moving in reverse.
I pulled up into the same driveway today that it normal does it in (and earlier 2 times I didn't use the parking/hand break to park the car, only P) so I was sitting there with my foot on the break not moving, and around the same time that it would do it, (2-4 seconds after it's put in R) it made did the sound/feeling.

So this time I was able to feel it more..but I don't think i could describe it any better than before. But it felt/sounded like the car jumped. It didn't phsycially move/jump forward or back. My bf pointed out and told me that it reminds him of a stick shift, as when it dies (from not driving it right :P) it sort of jumps. It did remind me of that (I have driven a manual), It was similar to the jump a manual would do from shutting off but it was much stronger and louder.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2007, 06:08 PM   #10
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Sounds like the dreaded reverse slam to me. Use the forum jump at the bottom of the page and go to the How-To Library. Search in there for reverse slam. You can try Wolfman's reverse slam cure. It doesn't always work but, it's worth a try.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:11 PM   #11
RickKlages
RickKlages is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Please stop backing over pedestrians! Yes I know it's difficult to see them when they are under your car. Look then back up. Happy motoring.

Rick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RickKlages's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RickKlages reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RickKlages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:17 PM   #12
Juli-

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickKlages View Post
Please stop backing over pedestrians! Yes I know it's difficult to see them when they are under your car. Look then back up. Happy motoring.

Rick

I'm not that much of a careless driver to do that!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2007, 07:18 PM   #13
Juli-

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
Sounds like the dreaded reverse slam to me. Use the forum jump at the bottom of the page and go to the How-To Library. Search in there for reverse slam. You can try Wolfman's reverse slam cure. It doesn't always work but, it's worth a try.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2007, 07:59 PM   #14
RickKlages
RickKlages is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I don't belive you are really backing over people! Maby cats or small dogs! They are also hard to see under the car (just kidding, no one is calling you careless).

Rick

Last edited by RickKlages; 01-23-2007 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: no reason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RickKlages's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RickKlages reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RickKlages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:16 PM   #15
Juli-

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I know you were kidding, I was just adding onto it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-27-2007, 01:43 AM   #16
Audiguy
Audiguy is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Is there anything rolling around in your trunk? Basket balls, boxes, severed heads....?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Audiguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Audiguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Audiguy is offline   Reply With Quote