SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
nikkatnight
nikkatnight is on a distinguished road

Default Bolt fell out of rear shock?

My dad replaced the rear shocks for me on my 2006 Saturn Ion. He replaced the passenger side shock first and tightened it up based with a torque wrench based on the video we found on how to replace Ion shocks. Next day I hear a banging and find the shock is hanging there and the bottom bolt is gone.

Any ideas why this might have happened?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nikkatnight's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nikkatnight reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nikkatnight is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2
Default Re: Bolt fell out of rear shock?

yes they were 1 time use only bolts read the instalation sequence below instalation#2

xTooltipElement
Service Information

2006 Saturn ION | ION VIN A Service Manual | Suspension | Rear Suspension | Repair Instructions | Document ID: 870568
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shock Absorber Replacement
Removal Procedure 1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
 2. Remove the wheel. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation.

 3. Support the rear axle with a tall jack stand near the shock absorber.

 4. Remove the upper and lower shock bolts.
 5. Remove the shock from the vehicle.
Installation Procedure 1. Position the shock absorber to the vehicle.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice.

 2. Install NEW upper and lower shock bolts.
Tighten

◦Tighten the upper bolt to 90 Y (66 lb ft).
◦Tighten the lower bolt to 110 Y (81 lb ft).
 3. Remove the jack stand.
 4. Install the wheel. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation.
 5. Lower the vehicle.
2014 General Motors. All rights reserved.

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I also read in the service manual that the shock mounting bolts should be replaced whenever the shocks are replaced. This is because the bolts can sometimes stretch if reinstalled multiple times or if they are overtorqued. FWIW I reused them anyways when I replaced my shocks last weekend. They looked fine and felt secure when I torqued them with a torque wrench. Regardless, I have a very hard time believing that one of the bolts fell out after just one day as a direct result of not using new bolts.

I suspect that the bolt wasn't installed at all or the nut welded to the trailing arm is missing. I'd bet a friendly wager that most shops do not replace those bolts anyways unless they are stripped or otherwise physically compromised.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:05 AM   #4
kaviation
kaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
I also read in the service manual that the shock mounting bolts should be replaced whenever the shocks are replaced. This is because the bolts can sometimes stretch if reinstalled multiple times or if they are overtorqued. FWIW I reused them anyways when I replaced my shocks last weekend. They looked fine and felt secure when I torqued them with a torque wrench. Regardless, I have a very hard time believing that one of the bolts fell out after just one day as a direct result of not using new bolts.

I suspect that the bolt wasn't installed at all or the nut welded to the trailing arm is missing. I'd bet a friendly wager that most shops do not replace those bolts anyways unless they are stripped or otherwise physically compromised.
Interesting! I haven't heard of this. I didn't replace mine either and I've reused them twice now.

TWM Short Shifter
Progress springs with Cobalt SS suspension
Vibrant cat-back exhaust system!
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

LONG LIVE THE BEECH 1900D

I ENJOY WHAT I DO- I DO WHAT I ENJOY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaviation's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #5
nikkatnight
nikkatnight is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post

The bolt was installed. I can tell it was a slow process as the bolt fell out because it started with just a little bit of noise, then when it fell out completely there was a louder clanking. Got a new bolt from the dealer. They said they don't replace the bolt after one time. Another shop suggested using Loctite.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nikkatnight's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nikkatnight reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nikkatnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
ejscarfo
ejscarfo is on a distinguished road

I just ordered a set of rear shocks for my Dad's 2005 Ion, the right one on his is leaking. I'm going to install KYB instead of the Delco units. I had no idea I had to also order new bolts. These are the original shocks so the bolts have never been removed. I'd like to replace the bolts as well now. Does anyone have the part numbers for the bolts?

---------------------------
2004 Saturn Vue FWD 5 spd
2014 Honda Accord LX
2013 Honda Civic LX
1985 Chevrolet Corvette
1985 Pontiac Trans Am

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ejscarfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ejscarfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ejscarfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:10 PM   #7
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

upper bolt: 11609755
lower bolt: 11518185

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
snakes
snakes has a spectacular aura aboutsnakes has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Thanks for the info and part nbs . This is really interesting . I have an 05 ion and back in 07 changed to Monroe rear shocks then in.2008 I went with. 05 cobalt FE5 rear shocks and just recently replaced those with the. 08+ fe5 cobalt SS/TC rear shocks. I have kept the stock original bolts and never changed them out. I'm going to look them over this weekend .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snakes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snakes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #9
ejscarfo
ejscarfo is on a distinguished road

Well I can understand why they say replace the bolts along with the shocks. I did the job over the weekend and the lower bolts were corroded and the threads dirty. Removing them was easy tho, putting them back was another story. I had to clean the bolts well along with the threads in the mounting hole. The upper bolt was not a problem, just the bottom. It took a little effort to reinstall the bottom bolts, even after cleaning. If I do this job again, I'm getting new bolts.

---------------------------
2004 Saturn Vue FWD 5 spd
2014 Honda Accord LX
2013 Honda Civic LX
1985 Chevrolet Corvette
1985 Pontiac Trans Am

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ejscarfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ejscarfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ejscarfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #10
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

You cannot torque a bolt correctly unless the threads are 100 clean. Period. Not to mention each time you torque a bolt it stretches, and if it isn't meant to be reused, it will never hold torque.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #11
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

iv reused the bolts on my shocks. one side came loose slightly, causing the shock to rattle over bumps. tightened it up a little bit, using a standard ratchet, and never loosened again.

i never realized these were one time use bolts

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe)

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:20 PM   #12
Just.dre88
Just.dre88 has a spectacular aura aboutJust.dre88 has a spectacular aura aboutJust.dre88 has a spectacular aura about

In having a similar problem here. I replace my struts and rear shock with Monroe. The bottoms bolt to my left rear shock won't screw in all the way. It eventually stops 3/4 way in then it gets harder and I don't want to snap the bolt. Any suggestions on what I can do? I have a 2007 saturn ion level 3. I'm thinking maybe the thread is dirty so I'm gonna work on it again today. Please any reply is appreciated. I really don't want to get a new bolt being as gm won't have it available for over a week and I need the car this weekend.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Just.dre88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Just.dre88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Just.dre88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:12 PM   #13
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Examine the threaded hole where the bolt goes into. With the shock out of the way, try wire brushing the bolt threads of corrosion using some oil and try threading the bolt into the hole without the shock. This may be enough to clean the threads. Use oil or penetrant as a lube and don't tighten the bolt. Turn the bolt in until it gets tight and back out some while penetrant is used to help lube and clean threads. Scraping the threads of loose rust may help to prevent these bits from becoming artificial loctite. A pick tool may help here or simply blowing out the hole to move debris. Blue loctite may be used here to prevent future corrosion when the bolt is tightened. Loctite cures and seals threads from oxidation while acting as a glue against loosening.

When working on corroded, rusted nuts and bolts, recommendations to use Liquid Wrench, WD40 or PB Blaster helps loosen corrosion that becomes a glue or artificial loctite to prevent removal. Experience to approach these problems carefully when loosening for the first time by spraying your choice of penetrant then either applying heat to accelerate penetration or loosening then tightening - this breaks the bonds while allowing penetrant to seep in to help. Loosening some more and using more penetrant then tightening exercises the threads while clearing them of corrosion. This loosening and tightening with backing out the nut or bolt allows removal. These methods aren't printed in any manual and learned the hard way from experience or from others passing this info to anyone. Once fasteners are removed, cleaning may require wire brushing or in a worse case scenario, thread chaser. Thread chaser is a hardened threaded nut or die with slits to allow rethreading nuts or bolts to clean out threads while renewing them. Without thread chasers, a home made thread chaser can be made using a disposable nut or bolt by using a dremel with a cutting blade to cut slits perpendicular to the threads. The slits allows dirt, corrosion or rust a place to gather while running the nut or bolt in a little at a time. Penetrant or oil is used to lube this rethreading operation. If not familiar with rethreading tools, Google for images. There's always a solution to a problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:46 PM   #14
Just.dre88
Just.dre88 has a spectacular aura aboutJust.dre88 has a spectacular aura aboutJust.dre88 has a spectacular aura about

Thank you so much!!! I figured it would be dirty and was thinking of getting a wire brush for cleaning. What kind of oil do I use when tightening? I'm going to get everything after work. I just hope I don't have to get bread or anything like that because I have no knowledge or experience with that. Plus gm says it'll take a week for new bolts so I don't want to snap it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Just.dre88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #15
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Any oil will work. Whether its liquid wrench/pb blaster/cutting oil or motor oil, they're all made to lubricate and makes things slide. Rusted threads from road salts and normal weathering allows moisture to seep into things that create corrosion if not protected with loctite or antiseize compound. The lower shock bolt is probably made using normal coarse threaded bolts to allow removal with less chances of seizing but there are exceptions depending on where and how long corrosion sets it. If you're lucky these threads are just dirty from corrosion and cleaning them with or without using the bolt can allow reusing it. Try wire brushing the bolt to remove as much rust as possible and coat in some motor oil. Clean out the threaded hole with whatever fits to remove loose rust and debris. The more time spent removing corrosion by wire brush, picks with whatever's laying around, the better the chances of the bolt going in with less resistance as oil helps loosen up any more rust to allow threading the bolt all the way. Examine the bolt for squashed threads as this may be from overtightening and causing more problems with the threaded hole. As long as the bolt can clean up to reveal clean straight threads, the hole is the other half of the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:24 PM   #16
Just.dre88

Thank you so much...I feel so stupid. Turns out it wasn't even the bottom bolt. The top bolt was tighten all the way. I tightened it until I couldn't anymore with a lug nut wrench and now no noise with a much smoother ride. Engine oil worked with ease btw

REWARD EXCELLENCE!