SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Mad Could Lack of Bluetooth hurt sales

I have now seen both the Acadia and Outlook and impressed with both but the lack of bluetooth could again send me as well as others looking other places.

States are cracking down on driving while using a cell phone. BT along with a NAV is the way to go. Onstar is a extra bill that most people won't buy into over the long haul.

Cell phones already now offer some NAV capabilities. I personally hate the small screen but have used this option on my cell.

Its ashame that the Caddy STS now is the only GM car that is BT capable.

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: Could Lack of Bluetooth hurt sales

IMO GM is holding back trying to support OnStar hands free dialing.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #3
zielinab
zielinab is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

Onstar uses Verizon's network. So if you happen to have Verizon, you can add your Onstar equipped vehicle as a "phone" on a Family Share plan, and share the minutes with your other phone(s).

See: http://www.vzwshop.com/onstar/

But I totally agree, I would love it if you could just use any mobile from any carrier with Bluetooth (and I use Verizon). I think (hope) that sooner or later they'll be forced to find a way to offer Bluetooth capability alongside/integrated with Onstar.

I love Onstar. I will never buy another new vehicle without it. I recommend it to everyone I possibly can. But GM using it as an excuse to not offer other features does not sit well with me. Navigation? - But, but, but we have Onstar Turn-by-turn! Bluetooth? - But, but, but we have Onstar Handsfree calling! It may be a practical alternative for some people. It may actully work well. But if people want a vehicle with Nav and/or BT, a lot of them will go elsewhere. So, to answer your question, yes- I think it definitely does hurt sales somewhat, and will increasingly do so as time goes by.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zielinab's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zielinab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zielinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:48 PM   #4
SaturnSales
SaturnSales is on a distinguished road

Real world here.. not just car guys on a car forum... we got our first outlook just before Christmas... still waiting for more to ship in... but that's ok... of all the customers I have had come in looking at it I have not had a single person ask if it had bluetooth.... and only about 10% of the people looking at the Outlook have asked if it comes with nav.... (our first one is a White AWD XE with roof rails, XM, and power seat), So honestly from the real world view of a salesman I don't think it will matter that much.... then again the people looking for bluetooth may be researching it online and not even coming in the door because they already know it doesn't have it.... dunno...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSales's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSales reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:33 PM   #5
Njerald
Njerald is on a distinguished road

Onstar as long as it is free is fine. I wouldn't pay for it.

If it doesn't have Blue tooth, I won't buy...........

Maybe a CX-9??????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Njerald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Njerald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Njerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:17 AM   #6
joemac
joemac is on a distinguished road

Since buying our Tahoe that has OnStar (that we pay for) my wife will not have another vehicle with out it. We have young children and it's an added reassurance for her & me. She has had to use OnStar a few times (kids locked the keys in the truck while out shopping & reported an accident in an unfamiliar city). To her that right there sealed the deal for her. So the added monthly expense is worth it to us.

Bluetooth isn't a deal breaker for us. We both have Bluetooth earpieces and she uses the hands free phone in her truck from time to time if need be. Plus the reception with the OnStar phone is 100x's better then any cell phone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joemac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joemac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
joemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:20 AM   #7
hortaja
hortaja is on a distinguished road

Guys

What do you all think of products like the one below claiming?

-ONSTAR DIALING UNLOCK

-BLUETOOTH FUNCTIONS UNLOCKED ON EQUIPPED VEHICLES

http://www.coastaletech.com/gmlockpick3.htm

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hortaja's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hortaja reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hortaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:33 AM   #8
ffballid
ffballid is on a distinguished road

The lack of Bluetooth does bother me, but not enough to not buy one. It is, however, the reason I will not buy the factory GPS and stay with the base stereo instead of buying an upgrade. Someone posted a link in the alternate GPS thread to a Pioneer system that will do just about anything (including Sirius or XM integration, streaming Bluetooth, nav and a backup camera) that will cost less than 2K installed. Yes, that's a LOT of $, but it costs less than the OEM nav and does a lot more. If Bluetooth were an option on the up level stereo, I'd buy it.

I agree with the salesman who said the average buyer may not care about the Bluetooth integration, but folks who are interested in an $880 advanced audio system or a $2,145 nav system might. I know the nav systems, up level stereos and electronics packages are areas that have quite a bit of profit. Again, I can only speak for myself, but GM lost about 3K from me in large part because of the lack of Bluetooth.

Last edited by ffballid; 01-15-2007 at 01:36 AM.. Reason: Typo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ffballid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ffballid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ffballid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:38 AM   #9
hedges1
hedges1 is on a distinguished road

The lack of bluetooth really had me ticked off, but it wasn't enough to overcome my lust for the new Lambdas. We pulled the trigger on a Carbon Black SLT Acadia. The link to Coastal Tech totally has me intrigued, THAT would be amazing if it works. They seem legit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hedges1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hedges1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hedges1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:21 AM   #10
zielinab
zielinab is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerald View Post
Onstar as long as it is free is fine. I wouldn't pay for it.

If it doesn't have Blue tooth, I won't buy...........

Maybe a CX-9??????
I used to think that way, back when Onstar first came out, and before I had a wife and kids.

Amazing how $200/year doesn't seem like all that much when your family's lives are involved.

If I have to wait till I get there to make a call (vs BT handsfree), or use a BT headset for my mobile- I'm ok with that.

Worrying about whether my family can get help if the worst should happen- not so much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zielinab's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zielinab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zielinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:12 AM   #11
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

It's amazing to me that people (in general) don't mind paying $60-200/month for a cellphone plan, $40/month for broadband internet, or $30/month for a land line, but find $16/month for OnStar absurd.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:57 AM   #12
hedges1
hedges1 is on a distinguished road

I don't think most people have a problem paying 16 bucks, they just don't want to have to pay extra for another cellphone plan. The is 2007. Ford just unveiled the Sync platform. Mazda has bluetooth standard in the new CX-9. Most other companies like Chrysler have offered bluetooth for years.

I have a cellphone, and it should work in my car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hedges1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hedges1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hedges1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #13
joemac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedges1 View Post
I don't think most people have a problem paying 16 bucks, they just don't want to have to pay extra for another cellphone plan. The is 2007. Ford just unveiled the Sync platform. Mazda has bluetooth standard in the new CX-9. Most other companies like Chrysler have offered bluetooth for years.

I have a cellphone, and it should work in my car.
If you have Verizon you can use your plan with OnStar. To be honest I much rather use my bluetooth earpiece. Esp if I have others in the vehicle (which is all the time as I have children) and don't want them to hear the call or the person I am speaking too to hear my children.

So no bluetooth will not change my mind on a vehicle I buy or not. But, OnStar is a deal breaker 100% as my wife & children are more important then bluetooth capable or not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help joemac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-19-2007, 09:54 AM   #14
joemac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zielinab View Post
I used to think that way, back when Onstar first came out, and before I had a wife and kids.

Amazing how $200/year doesn't seem like all that much when your family's lives are involved.

If I have to wait till I get there to make a call (vs BT handsfree), or use a BT headset for my mobile- I'm ok with that.

Worrying about whether my family can get help if the worst should happen- not so much.
That is the reason right there that my wife has said she will never own another vehicle without OnStar. She loves the added feeling of protection in her Tahoe and has said many times that it is a deal breaker for her. So $200 a year is chump change if it saves my families lives in our time of need.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-20-2007, 02:03 PM   #15
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
It's amazing to me that people (in general) don't mind paying $60-200/month for a cellphone plan, $40/month for broadband internet, or $30/month for a land line, but find $16/month for OnStar absurd.
I'm one of those who don't want to pay a penny more. I have xm radio and feel that that cost should go away. Having said that, I still want NAV that are bluetooth where i can get call and also have direction to where i want to go. xm is nice because we travel by car alot.

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:54 PM   #16
laminator
laminator is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemac View Post
If you have Verizon you can use your plan with OnStar.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but don't you have to add your car to your plan like it was a family member (own phone #)? So.. around $10 a month extra?

Much different from being able to just piggyback on your existing phone and plan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to laminator's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help laminator reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
laminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:44 AM   #17
hortaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortaja View Post
Guys

What do you all think of products like the one below claiming?

-ONSTAR DIALING UNLOCK

-BLUETOOTH FUNCTIONS UNLOCKED ON EQUIPPED VEHICLES

http://www.coastaletech.com/gmlockpick3.htm

Jerry
How come no one commented on my post??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hortaja reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-21-2007, 11:17 AM   #18
beach109
Advanced Member
beach109 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortaja View Post
How come no one commented on my post??
Actually, that's nothing really new and people in the Yukon/Tahoe, etc. crowd have been using such things for years. Nice product, nonetheless, but that's mainly to unlock Nav functions while in motion. Not really Bluetooth related, unless as stated, the vehicle has that already--which is odd to say, because no current GM's you'd use this with are so equipped.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beach109's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beach109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:31 PM   #19
highgrovemanor
highgrovemanor is on a distinguished road

and here I was getting excited about the Outlook / Acadia being one of the few SUVs out there with memory seats...I come to hear people think its a corporate strategy to not do bluetooth? ggggaaaarrrrr.

So is the mazda CX-9 the only one out there with both memory seats & bluetooth?????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to highgrovemanor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help highgrovemanor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
highgrovemanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:46 PM   #20
hortaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgrovemanor View Post
and here I was getting excited about the Outlook / Acadia being one of the few SUVs out there with memory seats...I come to hear people think its a corporate strategy to not do bluetooth? ggggaaaarrrrr.

So is the mazda CX-9 the only one out there with both memory seats & bluetooth?????
highgrovemanor

Question for you have you had bluetooth in a car? Well I have in my Lexus cars. Yeah its cool, but to be honest I would not pass on a car if thats the ONLY option it does not have. Bluetooth in the begining is cool, but the novelty wears off fairly quick. No there is suposidly a hack that can be done to the GM SUV to add bluetooth thru the OnStar system. I will look into it once I get my Enclave.

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!