SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2006, 10:59 AM   #1
vigormusic
vigormusic is on a distinguished road

Default Brakes issue on a 02 Mercury Sable, (wrong place to look, but you guys are good)

Hi, You may know me from all of my questions about my 97 SL2.
Well today I am having an issue with my girlfriends car. It is an 02 Mercury Sable. She said that when she went to work this morning her brake pedals were going all the way to the floor. Could this be a hydraulic issue? I know this isn't a Mercury forum but I figured this could be a general issue that someone may know about. She has to drive an hour and a half this afternoon so I figured I'd turn to you guys for help.

Thank you very much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vigormusic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vigormusic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vigormusic is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2006, 11:56 AM   #2
yazhere
yazhere is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Default Re: Brakes issue on a 02 Mercury Sable, (wrong place to look, but you guys are good)

First look at if there is fluid in the master cylinder. Top off if low. Now look for a fluid leak. If there are drums in the rear, I'd start there and look the rubber boots on wheel cylinders. Took a good look undeerneath for any lines broken or rusted to a created leak. If all looks good, move up to the front.

Again, the best site for instructional is at Autozone.com.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yazhere's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yazhere reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yazhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2
Default Re: Brakes issue on a 02 Mercury Sable, (wrong place to look, but you guys are good)

Assuming fluid levels correct, sounds like master cylinder/booster issue. Time to dump it and show her you really care by getting her a Saturn to drive!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
vigormusic
vigormusic is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot for the quick replies. I heard from her and she had already had her dad take it over to a garage. So it looks like I won't have to get dirty on this one. Thanks again. I appreciate it!

I'm still interested to hear what the problem is though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vigormusic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vigormusic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vigormusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:54 PM   #5
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

Something like this happened to my dad once. Luckily he didn't wreck. The pad material separated from the backing plate on the front brakes. It took a couple pumps to get it back, he took it in and even though it was nearly new they wouldn't cover it under warranty. Interestingly enough it wasn't really grinding or anything after he pumped the brakes bake up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote