SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 06:25 PM   #1
WhtCastle
WhtCastle is on a distinguished road

Arrow New car - can you choose not have.....

If I were to be getting an ION (and god willing i will!) Could I go down to the Saturn dealer and tell them I dont want one with the stereo or speakers in it (just leaves the spaces) and save me some money?? Does anyone know if such a thing is do-able?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WhtCastle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WhtCastle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2002, 06:47 PM   #2
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Roll Eyes

This request will be kind of unreal these days, you may still ask but you may indeed paying money for them to remove as it comes as standards anyway.

If you think about carryover the current Stereo from your ruined SL1, better think again. ION is a new platform and new car line in Saturn, the speaker size and wiring and dash space maybe completely different than what SL was........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2002, 06:53 PM   #3
WhtCastle
WhtCastle is on a distinguished road

Oh heavens no I dont want to keep the HU i got right now, silly

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WhtCastle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WhtCastle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2002, 07:51 PM   #4
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Back when factory sound equipment was far behind aftermarket, some mfrs allowed you to special order a "delete" for the radio.

Haven't seen it in many years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2002, 10:36 PM   #5
kolonay
kolonay is on a distinguished road

I asked if I could order a VUE w/o a radio at all (before I ordered my Sport+) and they told me that it would still come with four factory speakers and a factory AM/FM deck, since it came that way from the factory.

As to whether or not old speakers will fit in the ION, I would imagine there is no reason not to believe that the ION will have 6.5" speaker holes just like almost everything else GM makes. All the speakers are made from the same place (unless you've got a Bose system, or some other name brand factory system), and it would be more costly to make more than one size speaker. GM has a hard enough time trying to compete with import costs that they don't need to add any more cost to their vehicles!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kolonay's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kolonay reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2002, 10:40 PM   #6
Plastic Gravity

Quote:
Originally posted by qlara
This request will be kind of unreal these days, you may still ask but you may indeed paying money for them to remove as it comes as standards anyway.

If you think about carryover the current Stereo from your ruined SL1, better think again. ION is a new platform and new car line in Saturn, the speaker size and wiring and dash space maybe completely different than what SL was........
Take a good look at the closeups of the ION's Sport bra...er, I mean center stack...it appears to be the exact same unit as used in current Saturns...and that form factor hasn't changed over the years to the best of my knowledge...worst case scenario you'll need some plug adaptors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Plastic Gravity's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Plastic Gravity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 05-12-2002, 11:33 PM   #7
OPEC
OPEC is on a distinguished road

Post Survey Says...

The following is pure speculation :

The answer is it depends on the trim level. A base model ION will likely have Am/fm stero standard only with stereo upgrades optional. The upper level will most likely have cd standard with no option to delete and save money.

To the manufacturer stereos are like the frys and coke at McDonalds. Pure profit. The cd head unit isn't great and Saturn charges its retailers 250 for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OPEC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OPEC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2002, 12:16 AM   #8
Plastic Gravity

Default Re: Survey Says...

Quote:
Originally posted by OPEC
The following is pure speculation :

The answer is it depends on the trim level. A base model ION will likely have Am/fm stero standard only with stereo upgrades optional. The upper level will most likely have cd standard with no option to delete and save money.

To the manufacturer stereos are like the frys and coke at McDonalds. Pure profit. The cd head unit isn't great and Saturn charges its retailers 250 for it.
Any other specs that Saturn has released? Final trim levels? Any engine options? I'm guessing that's a no, but I'd hoped that the anticlimax of the ION reality would have had Saturn scrambling for a way to add something in the way of excitement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Plastic Gravity's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Plastic Gravity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 05-13-2002, 08:13 AM   #9
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: New car - can you choose not have.....

Quote:
Originally posted by WhtCastle
If I were to be getting an ION (and god willing i will!) Could I go down to the Saturn dealer and tell them I dont want one with the stereo or speakers in it (just leaves the spaces) and save me some money?? Does anyone know if such a thing is do-able?
nope. there's no radio delete option on saturns, but i'm sure they'd take them out for you if you really wanted them too, but don't count on getting any money back. your best bet is to take out the radio and speakers yourself and sell them on ebay.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2002, 08:58 AM   #10
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

I remember on the old Hondas that the radio was a dealer installed option. So if you didn't want their Radio you went else where. My 1983 Stanza had no Radio when I bought it nad had an aftermarket installed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2002, 09:02 AM   #11
VentureForth
VentureForth has a spectacular aura aboutVentureForth has a spectacular aura aboutVentureForth has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Re: New car - can you choose not have.....

Quote:
Originally posted by eRic 96sc2

nope. there's no radio delete option on saturns, but i'm sure they'd take them out for you if you really wanted them too, but don't count on getting any money back. your best bet is to take out the radio and speakers yourself and sell them on ebay.
Hey it seems to be working for this guy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VentureForth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VentureForth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2002, 09:11 AM   #12
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by kolonay
As to whether or not old speakers will fit in the ION, I would imagine there is no reason not to believe that the ION will have 6.5" speaker holes just like almost everything else GM makes. All the speakers are made from the same place (unless you've got a Bose system, or some other name brand factory system), and it would be more costly to make more than one size speaker. GM has a hard enough time trying to compete with import costs that they don't need to add any more cost to their vehicles!
That maybe right on VUE or L-series, but current S-series speaker-size is using 6 3/4" which sets itself apart to other GM generic size....

Though I bet ION will be using the same 6 1/2" back as this platform is going to be shared with other GM siblings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2002, 10:20 AM   #13
VentureForth
VentureForth has a spectacular aura aboutVentureForth has a spectacular aura aboutVentureForth has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally posted by qlara

That maybe right on VUE or L-series, but current S-series speaker-size is using 6 3/4" which sets itself apart to other GM generic size....

Though I bet ION will be using the same 6 1/2" back as this platform is going to be shared with other GM siblings.
I think 6 3/4" IS becoming the GM standard. Look at the Pioneer boxes for 6 1/2" speakers "Fits GM 6 3/4".

I just installed some cheap 6 1/2 Jensens (just to get something back there) on the rear deck of my SL SE and had no problems. Screws may have canted outward a bit, but for the most part, almost completely seamless.

I wouldn't want to try the fronts without an adapter, though.

To that end, and the fact that Saturn is becoming as GM as Pontiac, AND the fact that GM trys to make their vehicles as aftermarket unfriendly as possible, I would postulate that the ION will use 6 3/4" all around.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VentureForth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VentureForth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2002, 11:35 AM   #14
XtremeGrandAm
Master Member
XtremeGrandAm is on a distinguished road

hmm thats right the speakers are 6 3/4 on my car. But it doesnt matter because the 6 1/2 speakers fit with no problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XtremeGrandAm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XtremeGrandAm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread