SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Green Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
safemom
safemom is on a distinguished road

Default No spare tire!

The Saturn Vue GL does not have a spare tire. It comes with a tire inflator kit, for all those times you might be stranded on the side of the road with a slow leak. However, whenever you have a flat that can't be fixed with a tire inflator, you will have to wait by the side of the road while the Saturn emergency roadside assistance operator sends a tow truck to tow you to the nearest Saturn dealership. (My assistance operator gave the tow truck company the wrong directions, so they couldn't find me). If you transport young children or frequently travel in remote areas, this care is not safe to drive because of this. Imagine being stranded on the side of the road with a blow out in a remote area in the rain or cold, potentially for hours, waiting for a tow truck to come. My flat occurred on the first day we drove the new car off the lot, and the dealership is refusing to take it back. We are prepared to go to the media. I would not recommend this car until there is a redesign to accommodate a spare tire. I would even take it with just a donut, but not with nothing!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to safemom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help safemom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
safemom is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2006, 12:11 PM   #2
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: No spare tire!

OMG!

Lots of cars don't come with spares. I don't know of a single hybrid that does come with a spare. Some simple research beforehand would have informed you of this. You can buy a spare and put it in the rear cargo area if you're that concerned about it.

How does a catostropic tire blow out in a remote area when it's -50*F effect the ability of your heater to keep the interior of the car somewhat warm? It doesn't.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
KCW
Advanced Member
KCW is on a distinguished road

in the 30 years that I have been driving I had to change tires on the side of the road twice. Im gonna take a rough guess and say I have driven 600,000 miles in that period.

and one of those went flat while the car was parked.

The odds of getting a flat tire are incredibly low unless you run over debris in the road. You have incredibly bad luck to get a flat the first day you own a new car.

But I dont see the logic in thinking a dealer should take a car back because you got a flat tire.

Quote:
If you transport young children or frequently travel in remote areas, this care is not safe to drive because of this. Imagine being stranded on the side of the road with a blow out in a remote area in the rain or cold, potentially for hours, waiting for a tow truck to come.
that is true for any car. If you frequently travel in remote areas you should have a survival kit in your car, a gps unit so people can find you (what address do you give a tow truck in the middle of nowhere?), a full sized spare on the roof rack of your car, spare gas and oil, water, tools, food, blankets ....

but somehow I suspect that is not your case. Pleading 'what if' has nothing to do with your situation, if that is not your real situation.

Last edited by KCW; 12-22-2006 at 12:41 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KCW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KCW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:33 PM   #4
Dorian
Dorian is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

The media already knows there is no spare tire. Its written up in almost every article I've seen about the GL and it doesn't even garner more than a single sentence. So going to the media won't get you far.

Regarding the concern over your family when perhaps traveling to a remote area, I wouldn't recommend buying a vehicle in its first year of production if you are really that concerned. All first year runs usually come with un-documented "features".

Perhaps you can't take your vehicle back to get a refund, but you can take it back within the first 30 days of ownership for a trade on something else.

"If you aren't completely satisfied with your new Saturn vehicle, you'll have 30 days or 1,500 miles of delivery, whichever comes first, to exchange it for another 2007 Saturn Vehicle. Obviously, the vehicle must be returned in the condition in which is was delivered. Any vehicle returned will be inspected for damage and excessive wear and tear. If non warranty repairs equal to or greater than $300 have been performed or are necessary, the vehicle is not eligible to be returned....

Perhaps a regular Vue V6 that gets two mpg's less than the GL but has 78more hp might be your best move? The hp offers more for the safety of your family than does fuel economy.

And shame on your salesman for not explaining this "feature" about the non-spare. It is a significant enough concern that it should have at least been brought up when he was doing the walk around with you at time of purchase. I know my salesman did a good job of explaining the "lite-spare" on my non-GL.

http://www.touringmotorcyclists.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dorian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dorian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:02 PM   #5
KCW
Advanced Member

Its a shame that Safemom had a bad first-day experience with her new Vue. Saturn takes extra steps to make sure you have a great buying and drive-it-home experience

getting a flat, and then having the tow truck get lost really does suck.

The GL really is an incredible machine. I think if you keep it for a few weeks you will get that new car honeymoon feeling back.

I was thinking over lunch the odds of getting a flat tire the first day you drive are so extreemly low, its possible the tire was defective (or maybe over inflated). When something complex (like a car) is assembled, if something is defective it will usually fail or break right away.

Im not sure what tires they put on the GL, but the tires that came on my base model Vue have a self sealing feature. I found 3 nails in one tire about 6 months ago. I dont know how long they were in there, but the tire did not lose any air until I pulled them out and fixed the tire.

What happened made you upset, and you have every right to feel upset. I hope after a few days you will feel better about your new car, you went through a lot of time and effort to get it, all that paper works and stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KCW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KCW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-22-2006, 03:12 PM   #6
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Dazed Re: No spare tire!

The SKY does not have a spare tire either. There's no place to store one.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:34 PM   #7
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy will become famous soon enoughUzzy will become famous soon enough

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

More and more cars are comming without spares. Eventually it will be a thing of the past. They won't take it back, and the media won't care. If you didn't research the vehicle well enough, that's your problem, sorry. Go buy a spare, and put it in the back if you like. The average person never changes a spare tire on the side of the road. In the day and age of road side assistance, cell phones, GPS, and such, even fewer people are doing it. It's too bad that they gave the tow truck driver wrong directions, but I'd bet in fact that's a bullsh** excuse from the tow truck driver. I know a few, so trust me on that one. Sorry, you're in the monority on this one.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:13 PM   #8
bobc455
bobc455 will become famous soon enough

I thought it was federal law to come with a spare. Guess that changed when I wasn't looking. Does the car have run-flat tires?

On the one hand the idea of no spare scares me- desolate road, no cell service (or dead cell battery or whatever), etc. On the other hand, there are a lot of other things that can go wrong too, and they don't include a spare engine, transmission, or radiator either. Live life on the edge I guess.

-Bob C.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobc455's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobc455 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 06:09 PM   #9
mr green
mr green is on a distinguished road

Since I retired in '94, I have had one slow leak. Even in the 'Bad Old Days', travelling with kids I never had a flat. The first thing that I used to do when I got a new 'read Old Cluncker', was to see that the jack worked.
However as to my last three new cars, before my GL, never even tried the jack. I am too old now to change a tire, let Saturn do it. john

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr green's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr green reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:35 PM   #10
Dorian
Dorian is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

I've been riding motorcycles as my primary transportation since I turned 16. They don't come with spares. Flats are a way of life when motorcycling. Patience, especially when in remote areas of Southern Utah and Northern Nevada, seems to be the key. Its not a nightmare.... its an adventure.

http://www.touringmotorcyclists.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dorian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dorian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:23 PM   #11
KCW
Advanced Member

if the GL doesnt come with a spare it seems like it would be nice if they gave you one, or you could buy one cheap

so you could at least have it in your garage at home, or take it with you in the back on a long road trip.

I think it would have to be easier to call my son at home and say "I got a flat, bring the spare and the jack...." than to call saturn roadside assistance, and have them call a tow truck...

besides, what happens when your warrantly expires. Who do you call then?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KCW's Reputation
Old 12-23-2006, 09:34 PM   #12
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
if the GL doesnt come with a spare it seems like it would be nice if they gave you one, or you could buy one cheap

so you could at least have it in your garage at home, or take it with you in the back on a long road trip.

I think it would have to be easier to call my son at home and say "I got a flat, bring the spare and the jack...." than to call saturn roadside assistance, and have them call a tow truck...

besides, what happens when your warrantly expires. Who do you call then?
Apparently, it comes with an electric air pump and tire 'fixer' (GL folks correct me if I am wrong)....I like the spare, for sure, but it sure would be nice to have the tire fixer pack. I've never had a blow-out, just leaks from nails and screws....would rather fix the tire on the spot, than pull out the jack, crank off the lug nuts, and replace it with a temp spare....Wonder how much it costs to get the GL tire fixer package????

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mellissam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:03 PM   #13
Venomized
Venomized is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Since when can a vehicle ride on just a rim at slow speeds? Just because you have a flat does not incapacitate a vehicle. Ever watch COPS when the bad guy won't stop after nailing the spike strips?

Having or not having a spare tire is not a big deal. That is what roadside assistance is for if needed.

My motorhome came with a spare, 2 lug wrenches but no jack. I went to wally world and bought a 12ton jack but I still have emergency roadside assistance.

I certainly would not call safemom's experience with her Saturn bad. She just experienced life with it. Saturn or her car certainly never conspired to place the flat causing object in her path. If anything it taught her what she should have known already or what her salesman should have told her to begin with. Lack of knowledge is just that. It certainly is not the fault of the vehicle's performance.

I have had a similar experience with a truck as well. A truck I used to have got a flat the first weekend I owned it. Was already to change the flat and found out I had no jack for it. I borrowed a jack and got the tire changed and then started carrying my small floor jack fulltime. It was not the trucks fault. Just something I overlooked. Life happens. Adapt and overcome.

06 Vue AWD V6
01 Grand Cherokee
05 Gulfstream Conquest 28 foot class C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Venomized's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Venomized reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Venomized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:06 PM   #14
RicksVue
RicksVue is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellissam View Post
Apparently, it comes with an electric air pump and tire 'fixer' (GL folks correct me if I am wrong)....I like the spare, for sure, but it sure would be nice to have the tire fixer pack. I've never had a blow-out, just leaks from nails and screws....would rather fix the tire on the spot, than pull out the jack, crank off the lug nuts, and replace it with a temp spare....Wonder how much it costs to get the GL tire fixer package????
Yes, it comes with a leak sealer and an inflator pump. They're probably both cheaper at your FLAPS than if you bought them from Saturn.
Actually, if I had a flat I'd probably use AAA to get assistance rather than use the leak sealer as those have a bad reputation.

-Rick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RicksVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RicksVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RicksVue is offline   Reply With Quote