SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2006, 06:55 PM   #1
mtown
mtown is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 Ion Radiator Replacement

I ran over a raccoon the other day, and it managed to crack my radiator . Since the dealership charges an astronomical amount to replace it, I ordered one online and am going to try to tackle it myself with a couple of friends.

Does anyone know where I can get instructions on how to replace the radiator, or is it pretty straightforward?

oh and, by the way, it's an automatic four cylinder, if that makes any difference.

Last edited by mtown; 12-21-2006 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: Added car information.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mtown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mtown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mtown is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
ottmwz_finest
Advanced Member
ottmwz_finest is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
Thumbs Down Re: 2003 Ion Radiator Replacement

that sucks i did the same thing not too long ago...i got RAPED on my repairs though. my estimate was 1,327 for the radiator and the condenser and a crapload of seals and tubing, oh and like 8 hrs labor. sorry i dont know specifics of installation. ugh! good luck i hope for your sake it is just your radiator and not your condenser as well. the racoon i hit i swear was like a freakin bear cub.

hundred miles an hour switching lanes like WHOA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ottmwz_finest's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ottmwz_finest reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ottmwz_finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:46 PM   #3
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2003 Ion Radiator Replacement

It isnt a hard job. Get in there and take a look. It will come to you. Nothing really complicated. Pretty much just remove the bottom holders, disconnect the condenser from the radiator, remove the shroud, and waalaa... You will see what I mean.

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:44 PM   #4
SpeedyIon
SpeedyIon is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

To Remove:
  1. Drain the cooling system.
  2. Lower the vehicle.
  3. If vehicle is equipped with the 2.2L (L61) engine, remove the air cleaner outlet resonator.
  4. Reposition the radiator inlet hose clamp at the radiator using special tool SA9111E.
  5. Remove the radiator inlet hose from the radiator.
  6. Reposition the radiator outlet hose clamp at the radiator using special tool SA9111E.
  7. Remove the radiator outlet hose from the radiator.
  8. If equipped with an automatic transaxle, clean the upper transmission oil cooler line connection point and remove the line from the radiator.
  9. If equipped with an automatic transaxle, remove the left front wheelhouse liner.
  10. If equipped with an automatic transaxle, remove the left engine splash shield.
  11. If equipped with an automatic transaxle, clean the lower transmission oil cooler line connection point and remove the line from the radiator.
  12. Remove the cooling fan assembly from the radiator by pushing up on the fan shroud to unsnap the retaining features. Position the cooling fan assembly away from the radiator and support the cooling fan assembly.
  13. Remove the air dam push-in retainer.
  14. Remove the air dam.
  15. If equipped with air conditioning, remove the condenser bolts.
  16. Slide the condenser down to disengage the upper mounting tabs from the radiator.
  17. Position the condenser away from the radiator and support the condenser.
  18. Remove the right and left radiator side baffles.
  19. Remove the right engine splash shield to radiator mount push-in retainer.
  20. If equipped with a manual transaxle, remove the left engine splash shield to radiator mount push-in retainer.
  21. Remove the lower radiator mounts, brackets, and bolts.
  22. Tilt the condenser forward in the vehicle. Remove the radiator assembly from the vehicle.
  23. Remove the upper radiator air baffle.

To Install:
  1. Verify that the upper radiator mounts are installed in the vehicle.
  2. Install the upper radiator air baffle.
  3. Tilt the condenser forward in the vehicle. Install the radiator assembly into the vehicle.
  4. Verify that the upper radiator mount pins align with the upper radiator mounts.
  5. Install the lower radiator mounts, brackets, and bolts, and tighten the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
  6. Install the right engine splash shield to radiator mount push-in retainer.
  7. If equipped with a manual transaxle, install the left engine splash shield to radiator mount push-in retainer.
  8. If equipped with air conditioning, install the right and left radiator side baffles.
  9. Slide the condenser up to engage the upper mounting tabs into the radiator.
  10. Install the condenser bolts, and tighten the bolts to 89 inch lbs.(10 Nm).
  11. Install the air dam and push-in retainers.
  12. Align the cooling fan shroud retaining features to the radiator. Pull down on the cooling fan assembly to snap the fan shroud onto the radiator.
  13. If equipped with an automatic transaxle, install the lower transmission oil cooler line and seal the radiator. Tighten the transmission oil cooler line to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
  14. If equipped with an automatic transaxle, install the left engine splash shield.
  15. If equipped with an automatic transaxle, install the left front wheelhouse liner.
  16. Lower the vehicle.
  17. If equipped with an automatic transaxle, install the upper transmission oil cooler line and seal to the radiator. Tighten the transmission oil cooler line to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
  18. Install the radiator outlet hose to the radiator.
  19. Reposition the hose clamp to secure the hose using special tool SA9111E.
  20. Install the radiator inlet hose to the radiator.
  21. Reposition the hose clamp to secure the hose using special tool SA9111E.
  22. If equipped with 2.2L (L61) engine, install the air cleaner outlet resonator.
  23. Fill the cooling system.
  24. If equipped with an automatic transaxle, add fluid to the transmission as necessary.

2004 Saturn Ion-2 QC
www.ionforums.net - Forum For Saturn Ion Owners

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpeedyIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedyIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SpeedyIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:02 PM   #5
SpeedyIon
SpeedyIon is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Pictures for the steps:

32107_sion_g0028.gif
Remove the radiator outlet hose from the radiator

2.gif
Remove the cooling fan assembly from the radiator

3.gif
Remove the right and left radiator side baffles

4.gif
Remove the lower radiator mounts, brackets, and bolts

5.gif
Tilt the condenser forward in the vehicle. Remove the radiator assembly from the vehicle

These are pictures for the removal.

2004 Saturn Ion-2 QC
www.ionforums.net - Forum For Saturn Ion Owners

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpeedyIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedyIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SpeedyIon is offline   Reply With Quote