SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2006, 04:10 PM   #1
twostirish222
twostirish222 is on a distinguished road

Default VUE Spare Tire

I recently had an issue with a flat tire. I went to a local place to get it plugged and was told the tire had three nails in it. So they wouldn’t plug it. I went to where the spare was and to my surprise it was a donut. I could have sworn when I first purchased the VUE I was told they no longer gave donuts I got a real spare tire.

Now let me back track I had my car inspected at Saturn back in April and was told I needed a new tire. So I paid for a new tire. Is it possible that they would take my spare switch it with the donut and charge me for a new tire? I did question Saturn on this and they said a full size tire would not fit in the wheel well.

I have a 2003 VUE.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twostirish222's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twostirish222 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twostirish222 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
f3qu3t
f3qu3t is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: VUE Spare Tire

The spare on the VUE is indeed a 'donut'.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to f3qu3t's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help f3qu3t reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
f3qu3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:36 PM   #3
vuefrommidwest
vuefrommidwest is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

I was told by the salesman also that it was a "full-size" spare.

Later, I asked the service manager why it had the "do-nut"

He said it qualified as full-size because it was the same diameter as the regular tire.........

UH-HUH!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vuefrommidwest's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vuefrommidwest reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vuefrommidwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:46 PM   #4
DesertPuma
DesertPuma is on a distinguished road

This is about the only complaint I have about the VUE.

It is my understanding the GL has no spare, something to do with needing the extra space for some of the compenents necessary for the Hybrid system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DesertPuma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DesertPuma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DesertPuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:57 PM   #5
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

The VUE spare tire is what I would call a "full sized donut". It has the same overall diameter as a normal tire, but only a fraction of the tread width. Most donuts are smaller in diameter which can lead to odd handling.

Spare tires in general are starting to disappear from cars. My only guess would be that it's an easy weight savings. Less weight equals better gas mileage numbers. But that's just a guess as to why this seems to be popular on non-hybrids. Most hybrids need the spare tire well for batteries and motors and stuff.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:56 PM   #6
stew32
stew32 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Like everyone else said, it is "full size" only in respect to being the same diameter as the regular wheels. It was probably required for the ABS equipped or AWD models. If you've ever driven on a spare that's a smaller diameter, you'll appreciate the "full size" one!

I'm not sure if it's recommended, but it makes it possible to use the spare on the front. I tried that with a smaller donut on a different vehicle and it was exhausting fighting the steering wheel the 10 miles to the tire shop. I knew the manual said I was supposed to put the spare on the back, but 10 miles didn't seem so far...

As why they're disappearing, I don't think they're needed very often. I've only had 2 flats and have driven a total somewhere between 175k-200k miles. Both were slow leaks from nails or screws. If I'd had a small compressor, I could've filled them up and driven to the nearest service station to get them patched. When the vehicles have no spare, they usually have a compressor thing with sealant? That works for me as long as the sealant doesn't make the tire unrepairable or mess up the balance. I guess the more expensive ones may have run flat tires good for 50-100 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stew32's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stew32 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stew32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:48 PM   #7
D C
D C is on a distinguished road

What they all said. It's a nearly-full-diameter spare. My guess at the reason why is the AWD system. Put a small tire on one wheel and the AWD system will see the difference in rotational speeds and the AWD system may engage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to D C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help D C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
D C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:20 PM   #8
binkybaby
binkybaby is on a distinguished road

i've never tried it before but will a fullsize tire (not the spare "fullsize donut") fit in that area?

-sXe for life-

Former Saturn owner but still a Saturn Fan~!

2010 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to binkybaby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help binkybaby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
binkybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:30 PM   #9
JPDucketts
JPDucketts is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by twostirish222 View Post
I recently had an issue with a flat tire. I went to a local place to get it plugged and was told the tire had three nails in it. So they wouldn’t plug it. I went to where the spare was and to my surprise it was a donut. I could have sworn when I first purchased the VUE I was told they no longer gave donuts I got a real spare tire.

Now let me back track I had my car inspected at Saturn back in April and was told I needed a new tire. So I paid for a new tire. Is it possible that they would take my spare switch it with the donut and charge me for a new tire? I did question Saturn on this and they said a full size tire would not fit in the wheel well.

I have a 2003 VUE.

Do you really think they woud do that? seriously

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JPDucketts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JPDucketts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JPDucketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:44 PM   #10
stew32
stew32 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkybaby View Post
i've never tried it before but will a fullsize tire (not the spare "fullsize donut") fit in that area?
Nope. Too wide. If I remember correctly, the spare is at an angle. Part of the tread for spare fits in an opening that's about underneath the latch for the hatch. The tread of a regular tire is too wide to fit in that opening. Also, a full size tire and wheel is too wide to fit under the cargo floor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stew32's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stew32 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stew32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:06 PM   #11
KCW
Advanced Member
KCW is on a distinguished road

Interesting! I also had three nails in the back tire on my Vue. I was able to plug two of them with the tire plug kit from Walmart, but the third nail went in at an angle on the edge of the tire, so I took it to a local gas station.

The guy was able to plug that hole too. I figured, since these tires are about $150 a piece it was worth a shot. That was 6 months ago - no problems.

BTW, I am very impressed with the Bridgestone tires that came with my Vue. They have a layer of soft 'rubber' inside that seals punctures. I dont know how long those 3 nails were in my tire before I noticed the TIC TIC TIC on the road, but the tire did not lose any air.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KCW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KCW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:24 AM   #12
rdalton
rdalton is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L

I've been driving around with a screw in my tire for the last 6 months. The tire looses a few psi a week but it's no big deal to top up. I just haven't had the time to go and get the screw removed and plugged.

--------------
*Deductive Reasoning

I am a nobody,
Nobody is perfect,
There for I am perfect

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rdalton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rdalton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rdalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:23 AM   #13
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
BTW, I am very impressed with the Bridgestone tires that came with my Vue.
WOW! I do believe you are the first person to publically admit that. I've had some foreign objects in my Bridgestones as well with no issues, but at no point would I ever say that I was impressed with the tires.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:24 AM   #14
KCW
Advanced Member

If you had seen that one 6 inch long, rusty old scraggly nail after I pulled it out, you would understand :^)

BTW, I forgot to mention, that self sealing thing only works if you leave the nail in the tire.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KCW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KCW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-21-2006, 08:53 AM   #15
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
WOW! I do believe you are the first person to publically admit that. I've had some foreign objects in my Bridgestones as well with no issues, but at no point would I ever say that I was impressed with the tires.
I have to agree. I think he's got very low expectations. The Duelers are quite possibly the worst tire I've ever experienced on a new car since bias ply tires from the 60's and 70's. Also, I don't recall reading anything about them having any special puncture sealing capabilities. I think the other poster was just lucky. Sometimes nails leak, sometimes they don't.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:41 AM   #16
KCW
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz
... Also, I don't recall reading anything about them having any special puncture sealing capabilities. ...,
I dont know what years they had the puncture barriers in tires, but its definately in the tire info that came with my Vue manual.

I specifically checked the documentation to see if there was a road hazard warranty on the factory tires - thats when I learned about the sealing barrier.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KCW's Reputation
Old 12-21-2006, 09:57 AM   #17
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I dont know what years they had the puncture barriers in tires, but its definately in the tire info that came with my Vue manual.

I specifically checked the documentation to see if there was a road hazard warranty on the factory tires - thats when I learned about the sealing barrier.
Interesting. Ya learn sumthin new every day.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:43 AM   #18
djb383
Advanced Member
djb383 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalton View Post
I've been driving around with a screw in my tire for the last 6 months. The tire looses a few psi a week but it's no big deal to top up. I just haven't had the time to go and get the screw removed and plugged.
You need to take the time to get the tire repaired. Wouldn't you think it could be a safety issue for others around you?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djb383's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djb383 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:19 PM   #19
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
BTW, I am very impressed with the Bridgestone tires that came with my Vue. They have a layer of soft 'rubber' inside that seals punctures. I dont know how long those 3 nails were in my tire before I noticed the TIC TIC TIC on the road, but the tire did not lose any air.
I wouldn't say I am impresed with the tires, but unlike some folks who think the tire is the devil's handi-work, I find the tires alright. I only have driven them on dry, tar paved roads, or (very) wet roads with no signs of hydroplaning....

Funny enough, I pulled out a 1/2 - 3/4 inch screw out of my tire on the crown of the tire, without any leakage....lucky me.....

Nice to know about the self-sealing, and the fact the spare is full-size (in diameter only)....I hate little donuts!! If it wasn't for the space alloted to the AWD system, we could have a full-size tire in the back.....

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mellissam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:22 PM   #20
Venomized
Venomized is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

The old donuts were limited to 50MPH and 3000 miles. I would have to look and verify but I remember my dealer telling me the speed limit on the new style donut is 65MPH.

06 Vue AWD V6
01 Grand Cherokee
05 Gulfstream Conquest 28 foot class C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Venomized's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Venomized reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Venomized is offline   Reply With Quote