SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2000, 09:17 PM   #1
D_two
D_two is on a distinguished road

Default Ram Air Option

I am interested in finding a new hood for my 1996 SC2 CLassic Anniversary edition. I would like something that is similar to the Pontiac WS6 Option so that I can install the ram air option on my car. Anyone know of a place out there to find things such as this? Thanks in advance for any help that you might be able to give.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to D_two's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help D_two reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2000, 12:15 PM   #2
SpeedRacer
SpeedRacer is on a distinguished road

I can't remember where, but at one time I read about someone who bought a hood scope from JC Whitney, got it painted to match from his local Saturn dealer and cut open his hood. He then turned his stock air filter and housing upside down, drilled a little hole in the bottom, for water, and matched it to the hole he had cut. It looked pretty trick and I'm thinking of doing it myself. Only thing stoping me...cutting up my hood! He said it helped in the high end, like highway traveling. Anyway, let me know if you try it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpeedRacer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedRacer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-18-2000, 08:44 PM   #3
D_two

I would much rather replace my hood with a new fiberglass one that is shaped the way that I want it to be shaped....similar to the one that graces the front end of a Pontiac Firebird WS6. The person that you are talking about is Bill Deebs and his Web site is http://www.billdeebs.pair.com/. In fact, there is a picture on the front page there. I like that look but I want something a little more integrated with the body style of my car. Give it a really nasty look...know what I mean?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help D_two reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-18-2000, 10:15 PM   #4
Brianmc
Brianmc is on a distinguished road

Actually, you should try to get to Bill's site as soon as possible. I saw he's shut down most of the other ones. Also, coudn't you just get a hood made? I know they do it for Mustangs and the like...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brianmc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Brianmc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-18-2000, 10:52 PM   #5
D_two

I have thought about that option but I have no idea where I would go to have one made. Any ideas of places that I can search for on the Net? That would be really helpful if you know of any places that do that sort of thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2000, 02:42 AM   #6
Brianmc
Brianmc is on a distinguished road

My best suggestion would be to visit your local speed shop or race track, and ask some of the guys with scoops that look WAY too un-stock!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brianmc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Brianmc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-17-2001, 11:28 AM   #7
dragon06451
dragon06451 is on a distinguished road

i just built my own ram kit,and it did wonders for performance, fot the longest time i was unable to beat my friend,until the other night when i opened the throttle and left himbehind trying to keep up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dragon06451's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dragon06451 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-17-2001, 11:58 AM   #8
Garland
Garland is on a distinguished road

http://www.geocities.com/strracing/STRsaturnmoremods.html
this is the guy w/ the jc whitney repainted and funky air box setup.

enjoy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Garland's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Garland reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2001, 11:31 PM   #9
Doug_E_95_SL2
Doug_E_95_SL2 is on a distinguished road

I have always been suspicious of the ram air theory.

The idea is that air more air is packed into the cylinders because of the vehicle speed through the atmosphere.

This is true only if the air remains compressed all the way from the airbox, through the air filter, past the throttle body, down the intake runner, past the intake valve and into the cylinder.

When the piston is being pulled down by the crank on the intake stroke, the air is sucked in (along with some fuel from the injector).

At highway speeds the amount of compression from a "true ram air" setup is negligible.

The elements to measure are:
1) cylinder air pressure without ram air and
2) cylinder air pressure with ram air

These would be measured while the intake valve is open.

I am sure there is no significant difference between the two. A far easier way to get higher cylinder air pressure is to make sure the intake air is cool, and this is already done is the stock design.

There may be a benefit at race speeds, but it doesn't seem sensible for a civilian car.

I'd say the best way to get more HP for a low cost would be a milled head, raising the compression ratio. That would really increase cylinder pressure and HP.

-Doug

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug_E_95_SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug_E_95_SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-24-2001, 03:21 PM   #10
Garland

My personal feel is that if you're looking for different compression with ram air, that's probably not the way to go. But for air volume, and air temperature, there's not too many systems aside from running turbo intercooled. Of course this is dependent upon air path, and ram air setup. And in regards to engine safety/possibility of burning out components, it's my personal feeling it would be considerably less (as long as you keep water out of the intake). I personally will run my air setup with specific designs for efficiency in volume and air temperature. If I do this correctly, I should get better gains then if I were to run a 160 dollar intake system. I mean, you have to figure: on a hot day in PA, it's a max of like 90 degrees. Autumn it's a cool 65. So. Engine temp: 160+ degrees. So yes, you get more air from the air system, but even with my current setup just using crude measurement (Comparison w/ other gm motors) I'm getting about 10 hp on cold air with my modified stock air box. To drop that to 5 from a mass air flow system would be just short of unintelligent. I'm going to see if I can improve the system even more (which I found some of my design is used in honda's very sophisticated stock intake only I made some revisions based on the premise that the engine sucks and the piping would be too long to really push... some of which are based on the input of members here, thank you very much! )
I mean considering colder air works better would you choose 160+ degrees or 65-90?

Exxaaccctlly.

But in terms of compression I would think the gains would be negligible. (Spelling?)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Garland reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-25-2001, 07:42 AM   #11
ProjectSW1
ProjectSW1 is on a distinguished road

I'm going to be "ramming" my sattie too...

We'll all have to post pics of our setups!

Garland > Where in PA are you?
I'm in Pittsburgh (N. Versailles)

Peas Out!

---------------
----==[ ProjectSW1 ]==----
}> http://www.ProjectSW1.cjb.net

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ProjectSW1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ProjectSW1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-25-2001, 10:17 AM   #12
Garland

I'm actually in harrisburg, and recently joined spoc's pa chapter.(www.spocpa.com) ..
I live in grantville, pa, and run a mostly stock car with some base performance increasers. But through consistent tweaking and better driving I usually beat out my competitors .. unfortunately... I have no money to actually buy cool parts So i use really cheap mods that cost me like 20 bux.. Like my next project when I feel daring enuff is a custom throttle body (meaning I'm boring it myself)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-25-2001, 10:56 AM   #13
ProjectSW1

Quote:
...I have no money to actually buy cool parts...
I hear that man...

I got a wife and two kids takin from my wallet all the time, so my $$$ can't always be applied to my ride either...

So far, I've got...
* Carbon Fiber shift knob ($18 )
* Carbon Fiber/Brushed Alluminum Pedals ($20)
* A 6-Disc Changer ($120)
* 2 12" Urban Subwoofers running off a 250 W amp ($280 for all + sub box)
* modified intake (removed/added some tubing)

So I definitely know what that's like....

---------------

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ProjectSW1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-25-2001, 12:35 PM   #14
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
D_two (09-14-2000 10:17 p.m.):
I am interested in finding a new hood for my 1996 SC2 CLassic Anniversary edition. I would like something that is similar to the Pontiac WS6 Option so that I can install the ram air option on my car. Anyone know of a place out there to find things such as this? Thanks in advance for any help that you might be able to give.
contact SLP engineering. they make the ram-air hoods used on the firebird firehawk and camaro ss. they used to do the firebird ws6 one too. http://www.slpeng.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-26-2001, 11:37 AM   #15
Garland

I got a wife and two kids takin from my wallet all the time, so my $$$ can't always be applied to my ride either...

So far, I've got...
* Carbon Fiber shift knob ($18 )
* Carbon Fiber/Brushed Alluminum Pedals ($20)
* A 6-Disc Changer ($120)
* 2 12" Urban Subwoofers running off a 250 W amp ($280 for all + sub box)
[/quote]
See, already you've spent much more than I
Bout the most expensive part I have is some kyb struts in the rear.
Quote:
* modified intake (removed/added some tubing)
Hmm. What kind of Saturn you have, a gen1, or two? Have you removed the resonator and cut down the intake tube? I have a really crappy diagram on my website on this particular setup:
www.mindspring.com/~mmessina/saturn
It's very useful, and I get monstrous amounts of power from it. Take a look sometime and see if you can use any of these little tricks. Personally my motto is when I have to replace a busted part, I get a performance version. Usually they are about 7-15% more than stock, but it's usually worth it. Those kyb struts for instance are a hard ride sometimes, but <blah> do they let me take off. The car doesn't dip back at ALL now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-27-2001, 08:15 AM   #16
ProjectSW1

i have a 94' SOHC Wagon

I took the first section of tubing off (the part that goes by the battery) and replaced it with a straight piece... I dunno if I gained anything from doing it, but now my engine makes this turbo-like whine when the engine is revved...Kinda cool...but it will be removed when I make my Ram-Air...I also moved the IAT sensor that was bolted in that tube just behind the driver's headlight leaving the probe part extended past the edge to catch the cool air rushing by it...

---------------

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-27-2001, 09:09 AM   #17
Garland

there is a resonator on the gen1 saturn (which is what you have) which is located under the air intake hose going from the throttle body to the air filter.
You can cut this off, and tape off the area with some heat tape.
This will increase the noise (dunno about power) of your system.

You can also try getting a dremel or a good knife and cut an air hole in the side of the filter box w/out an air hole. This will allow for more air flow, and with that model the air should also be colder.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-27-2001, 11:03 AM   #18
ProjectSW1

Garland...

I tried going to that site you mentioned up about 4 posts and after the intro, it just goes to a blank grey page... I dunno if that's your site or not, but if it is, could you please fix it, i'd like to do that resonator trick you mentioned...

Thanks

---------------

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-27-2001, 06:59 PM   #19
Garland

Craaaaaap. Gotta check my page now ;(
What exactly did you click on that got you that error?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-27-2001, 07:35 PM   #20
Garland

Craaaaaap. Gotta check my page now ;(
What exactly did you click on that got you that error?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread