SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2006, 05:57 AM   #1
taosd
taosd is on a distinguished road

Default Erratic Idle

So today I was driving my 2001 Saturn L200 2.2L 4-cyl to work, and when I stopped at a red light, I noticed that it was idling oddly. It would be idling at around 750 rpm (as normal) then drop down to 500 or so RPM, then up, then down, then up, and so on. Once I started moving, it seemed like the cars acceleration was acting in a similar way, and as I was driving at a constant speed down the road, with steady pressure on the accelerator, the engine kinda seemed to go up and down in RPM, though the tach reported a constant reading.

So later today, I was on my way home and I noticed that the erratic idling was gone. However, after approximately 30 minutes of driving, when I stopped the erratic idling was back, however, the strange engine "going up and down in RPM" feeling was not there.

Again, later tonight, same thing, everything was fine until about 30 minutes into the drive, and when I stopped it was back, again the strange engine "going up and down in RPM" feeling was not there.

The check engine light is not on, and I put some fuel injector cleaner in my car not too long ago (about a month). Any ideas what this might be? I did a search on "erratic idle" and didn't find much that suited my situation.

Thanks in advance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to taosd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help taosd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
taosd is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2006, 10:35 AM   #2
taosd

Default Re: Erratic Idle

an update: It seems that it does it constantly, though it intensifies after about a half hour of driving, if this helps anyone identify the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help taosd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-22-2006, 12:38 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There are a number of things to check if this hasn't happened before.

1-Do you have auto climate control and is it always on? If you're driving with it dialed into your favorite temperature, has the a/c been warmer as if there's less cooling now? The IAC in conjunction with a faulty a/c may contribute to this condition. Turn off the a/c and observe if the erratic idling goes away.
2-It may be the EGR valve needing some cleaning, loose/cracked vacuum line, loose electrical connector if an electrical unit.
3-IAC (intake air control) loose connector.
4-Possibly the throttle position sensor (TPS) is deteriorating; rap the side of it lightly with a screwdriver handle and observe if the idle speed immediately changes; if it does then change the TPS. Check for a loose electrical connector also.
5-Possibly a loose or cracked vacuum line; spraying suspected areas with throttle cleaner or something similar and observing immediate engine speed changes will expose this problem.
6-Intake manifold leaking air by the gaskets, PCV fitting, vacuum booster line to the power brake unit, etc..

Choose the easiest item you're familiar with and eliminate each item carefully, sometimes the problem will be obvious in appearance all by itself during a hands-on visual inspection.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:04 AM   #4
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

The 2.2L doesnt have an EGR valve, so that one is out the window.

My first place to suggest is a clogged cat. They usually get worse when fully warmed up. Did you have some bad misfires not too long ago possibly? How many miles on it? ANy recent repairs?

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:23 AM   #5
hufhouse
hufhouse will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2001 SL2

What about the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor? I've heard of problems like this caused by the ECTS sending bad info to the ECM on other Saturn models.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hufhouse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hufhouse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hufhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 04:33 PM   #6
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

While it is possible, it is highly unlikely, since they have used a very good design since 2001 in all gm cars, thanks to saturn....

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:03 PM   #7
taosd

Well, as for recent work on the car, I had a remote starter put in about two weeks prior to the problem occuring. The car has about 95000 KM on it... sooooo not quite 60000 miles.

I poured some fuel injector cleaner in there and I haven't yet had the chance to really drive the car to the point that the problem would occur. I'll check back in a few days after doing some driving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!