SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2006, 08:54 AM   #1
solidusjoe
solidusjoe is on a distinguished road

Sad Dashboard Warning Light

Well I've goine through about 60 websites looking for an answer and I am hoping that I'll be able to figure this out here. I have a 1993 Saturn SL1 and when I got the car it didn't come with an owner's manual or anything. I can't seem to get my scanner to work so I'll try to draw it with photoshop:

This light flashes on and off every once in a while but it did like 5 times yesterday so I need to find out what it means. Can anyone tell me?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg light.jpg (35.0 KB, 83 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to solidusjoe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help solidusjoe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
solidusjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2006, 09:04 AM   #2
96GSL1
96GSL1 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Default Re: Dashboard Warning Light

Check your coolant level.

96 SL1 202k
98 Windstar 123k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 96GSL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 96GSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
96GSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:13 AM   #3
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96GSL1
Check your coolant level.
+1. your coolant's low...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:23 AM   #4
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

That is totally the best drawing of the elusive blinking light I've ever seen.

Most people post, and say, I saw a light, it went away, it was red...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:34 AM   #5
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2

It means that your coolant is low. If the coolant level is good, than the sensor built into the bottom of the tank has gummed up. Solution to a gummed sensor is to remove the tank and give it a good cleaning.

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:31 AM   #6
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

And if the coolent is low (and it need not be low by much to give the flashing light) the next step is to figure out where it is going.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:58 PM   #7
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

The next step after that is to visit eBay and get an owner's manual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:11 PM   #8
andy_95sl2
Master Member
andy_95sl2 is on a distinguished road

If i remember correctly, If both are flashing at the same time, its usually a transmission code. Is it an automatic transmission car? Both were flashing simultaneously in my car, but its a manual...

The first one is Coolant Low. The second one is Coolant Overheat

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon -> daily & toy =)
2009 BMW 128i -> sold
2003 VW GTI 1.8T -> wrecked
1998 Saturn SL2 -> parted out
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andy_95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andy_95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andy_95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:40 PM   #9
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

IT'S ONE LIGHT!!!! Always has been. ONE bulb back there.

FLASHING means low coolant LEVEL.

STEADY means a disparity between the ECTS and TTS (automatic only) readings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-01-2006, 10:14 PM   #10
DiabloDan
DiabloDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR
+1. your coolant's low...

s3aturnr

ohhh...thats the coolant light?..
snap.

I thought It meant I was low on oil.....
arggg...

It keep flashing every other day or so..i keep checking my oil...wow Im retarded...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DiabloDan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DiabloDan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DiabloDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:11 PM   #11
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by romzek View Post
It means that your coolant is low. If the coolant level is good, than the sensor built into the bottom of the tank has gummed up. Solution to a gummed sensor is to remove the tank and give it a good cleaning.
Exactly. Check your coolant level. Also, if the temperature warning light is coming on, that's not good....that means it's overheating.....maybe because there is low/no coolant. Also, make sure it's a 50/50 mix....50% antifreeze, 50% water.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:27 PM   #12
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnManiac View Post
Exactly. Check your coolant level. Also, if the temperature warning light is coming on, that's not good....that means it's overheating.....maybe because there is low/no coolant. Also, make sure it's a 50/50 mix....50% antifreeze, 50% water.
Which part of "IT'S ONE LIGHT" is not clear? Folks, on manual-equipped cars, there is NO temperature warning light. On manual-equipped cars, that ONE light will ONLY come on BLINKING, and ONLY when the coolant LEVEL is low. Now, it's possible that if you're overheating, the coolant is boiling up enough in the reservoir to trip the level sensor, but that's not the same thing.

Isn't this precious? Saturn could have spent probably a dollar more, wiring the TTS/ECTS logic to a separate light, and only on the automatic cars, but no, that's a dollar too much. And that little bit of cheapness has obviously led to endless confusion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-03-2006, 12:16 AM   #13
Steven62387
Steven62387 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Isn't this precious? Saturn could have spent probably a dollar more, wiring the TTS/ECTS logic to a separate light, and only on the automatic cars, but no, that's a dollar too much. And that little bit of cheapness has obviously led to endless confusion.
Haha yea, it seems like they would have, they probably thought not spending a dollar or so on every car produced would save them something, but in the end there already making money off the cars. But precious indeed lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Steven62387's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Steven62387 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Steven62387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:46 AM   #14
KCW
Advanced Member
KCW is on a distinguished road

I would have guessed it means you have music floating around in the bottom of your battery!

Why oh why cant it be like the old days, when dashboards said things like OIL, or CHECK ENGINE

BTW, the '94 manual says:

Blinking: low coolant level
Steady on: engine over temp or automatic transmission overtemp

Last edited by KCW; 12-03-2006 at 12:53 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KCW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KCW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:06 AM   #15
96GSL1
96GSL1 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

I would like to add to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefino View Post
That is totally the best drawing of the elusive blinking light I've ever seen.
I wish I could draw like that, even on a PC!

96 SL1 202k
98 Windstar 123k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 96GSL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 96GSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
96GSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:14 AM   #16
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Wrench Re: Dashboard Warning Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidusjoe View Post
Well I've goine through about 60 websites looking for an answer and I am hoping that I'll be able to figure this out here. I have a 1993 Saturn SL1 and when I got the car it didn't come with an owner's manual or anything.
check your coolant. get a Saturn Owner's Handbook from your Saturn retailer or from www.saturn-publications.com

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:26 PM   #17
GreenSC2
Advanced Member
GreenSC2 is on a distinguished road

Check/refill your coolant ONLY with it stone cold.

It's not easy being Green(SC2). (IntelliTXT SUCKS)
I refuse to be a Lemming!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GreenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GreenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GreenSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:52 PM   #18
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSC2 View Post
Check/refill your coolant ONLY with it stone cold.
Well, you can add coolant to a hot engine; it's def'ly better, if you find yourself in the field with low coolant, to add coolant than to drive it when it's low. However, if you do, when subsequently park the car, REMOVE the filler cap, and LEAVE IT OFF until the engine cools. The key is that if the engine cools with the cap on, it creates vacuum within the cooling system; this can cause problems such as the infamous cracked radiator tank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-10-2006, 01:31 PM   #19
solidusjoe
solidusjoe is on a distinguished road

Well that was a great response everyone thank you very much for the info.

Is there a specific brand/type of coolant I should use for this particular make/model? I know there is a wide variety and that it's usually best to use the same kind that was already in there. I'm sure that the previous owner(s) used whatever came with the car initially. I was told I should call up a saturn dealer but I figure I might as well ask here first.

Once agauin thanks for the response, I searched forever for that silly light.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to solidusjoe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help solidusjoe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
solidusjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:14 PM   #20
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

93s take old school green silicated antifreeze. Skip peak if you can, it has phosphates and saturn for whatever reason shuns phosphates. "Turbo Power" made by a company that stamps "recochem" in the bottom of the jugs is good.

If you can't find that stuff, the 5 year "all makes" stuff by prestone or the store brands will do. This runs on OAT technology and has neither silicates nor phosphates.

Cut it 50/50 with clean water if you don't buy premixed... it'll tell you on the bottle. Premixed is probably better if you only need a little bit, so you won't have all this extra chemistry in storage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote