SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2006, 08:51 AM   #1
WarnsVue06
WarnsVue06 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2008 AURA XE
Default 2006 Headlight Bulb changeout

I replaced the Low and High Beam bulbs in our Vue yesterday with Sylvania Silverstars.

What a pain in the butt for the first time removing the headlight capsules.

My take on this thing.

{START RANT}

1. Two screws on the top of each headlight (easy ),
2. 4 screws in the fascia (umm, okay ),
3. Use a screwdriver and release the lower bracket (Pain in the *****, took forever to get this right ),
4. Pull and stress fascia as a second person pulls on headlight (scary, OUCH watch my finger!, Sorry Honey. ),
5. Carefully angle headlight to get the "painted fascia" to come of out the slots on the bottom of the light. (Oh please don't scratch the paint! )
6. Small Flat blade screwdriver to release the plugs from the headlight connectors (scary, be gentle, but be firm )
7. Twist light bulb out of housing. (easy )
8. Now go to the other side and do the other light. (Ugggh, )

{END RANT}

If you attempt to do this yourself, look it up in the owners manual first. I have the service manual, as well, and it provided virtually no help on this process.

---------------
2006 VUE AWD - "Laser Blue"

Mods to come.
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/sam2004gp/Saturn/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WarnsVue06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WarnsVue06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WarnsVue06 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
20VUE06
20VUE06 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2006 Headlight Bulb changeout

So, how are the new Silverstars? I noticed that the headlights were an improvement between my '04 and '06 Vue's I had Silverstars installed in my '04 which worked pretty well. Once I got my '06, I didn't think I wanted to replace them because the OE light/bulb combo worked just fine...

2004 Vue AWD V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 20VUE06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 20VUE06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
20VUE06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:20 AM   #3
WarnsVue06

2006 VUE 3.5L
2008 AURA XE

The reason, I changed them, was I already have Silverstars in my other car, 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix, and I could not stand the "yellowish" light, from the OEMs. I like the lights to be a little whiter like the Silverstars. I also found that on the Vues, that the lights are aimed somewhat low, so I raised them up just a bit. I drove thru various types of traffic some last night, and no one flashed me, so I think I will be alright.

---------------

Mods to come.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help WarnsVue06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2006, 09:29 AM   #4
20VUE06

I hear you about the yellow tint from OE bulbs. Maybe I'll start looking for some coupons/rebates for the Silverstars or look at the GE nighthawks at WalMart. I put nighthawks in my wife's honda and they are working very well for 1/2 the price of SStars.

Thanks

2004 Vue AWD V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 20VUE06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2006, 09:41 AM   #5
kodak_jack
Advanced Member
kodak_jack is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

I asked how to replace the headlight bulb on an 05 and got the service manual version and then the REAL life version. The service manual actually said to remove the whole bumper assembly to get to the bottom release!!! Somebody who actually did it said to remove the side marker light, take out the two top 10MM screws and the release can be done from the side with the marker light out of the way. If you see an easier way to do it, now that you've gone through it, why don't you post it to make it easier for others? BTW, this stuff was talked about in the Tech section. What's needed is a how-to with pictures. You know this is going to rear its ugly head late at night when you're trying to do it with somebody holding a flashlight for you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kodak_jack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kodak_jack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kodak_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:48 AM   #6
WarnsVue06

2006 VUE 3.5L
2008 AURA XE

My local Advance Auto had the lights on sale yesteday. So if you want some, you may want to go now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Light reciept.jpg (68.2 KB, 63 views)

---------------

Mods to come.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2006, 10:10 AM   #7
WarnsVue06

2006 VUE 3.5L
2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack
I asked how to replace the headlight bulb on an 05 and got the service manual version and then the REAL life version. The service manual actually said to remove the whole bumper assembly to get to the bottom release!!! Somebody who actually did it said to remove the side marker light, take out the two top 10MM screws and the release can be done from the side with the marker light out of the way. If you see an easier way to do it, now that you've gone through it, why don't you post it to make it easier for others? BTW, this stuff was talked about in the Tech section. What's needed is a how-to with pictures. You know this is going to rear its ugly head late at night when you're trying to do it with somebody holding a flashlight for you.
Yes, my service manual said to remove the whole, front of the car/fascia. On the 2006's the side marker light and headlight capsules, are all one piece.

After looking at the Service manual and Owners manual instructions, go with the owners manual version.

I would love to have had/or provide a "Step by Step version with 'real' pics" on how to do it, but I am not going to go out in the garage and go thru all of that again. It was hard enough keeping from scratching the paint, and from breaking off the lower release tabs, to do for myself; but to do it again to just take a few pics. NO Way. Now if I bulb burns out for me, or someone else wants to change thier bulbs, then I say, don't forget the camera. But the Owners manual version and my own in the first post is about the best 'step by step' method I can offer at this time.

I have done my share of car related web write-ups on my 2004 Grand Prix, and perhaps I may start one someday for the 2006 Vue. http://users.adelphia.net/~samwarren/

Here is the pic of the corner lights on the 2006.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Car corner.jpg (142.5 KB, 47 views)

---------------

Mods to come.

Last edited by WarnsVue06; 11-25-2006 at 10:20 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2006, 10:22 AM   #8
20VUE06

Funny man. I was a member at clubGP.com when I owned my 99 GT. Member number 2724...

2004 Vue AWD V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2006, 10:32 AM   #9
WarnsVue06

2006 VUE 3.5L
2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20VUE06
Funny man. I was a member at clubGP.com when I owned my 99 GT. Member number 2724...
Small World. I am member "sam93gp". We got the Vue for the wife, and I still have the Grand Prix. But I have to admit, I really glad we got the Vue. I am a GM man, but was not happy with the Chevy and Pontiac versions of the VUE. I liked the Saturn so much, that after my mom totalled her 'crappy' Hyundi, I talked her into getting a new 2006 ION. When the time comes to get rid of the GP, I may have to look into Saturn again.

---------------

Mods to come.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2006, 04:27 PM   #10
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Although the first time around can seem like a pain in the butt, the successive times are a piece of cake....JMHO
For 2006, just remove six top bolts above headlights and centre grill....pull centre grill out a little bit to give space for lights. Lights are tongue-in-groove with fascia on the bottom and lights have rear arm that needs to be lifted out of it's socket....other than that its easy! Can get one of my lights out in under 2 minutes....

I've been messing with cool blues, fog lamps and air horn......

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mellissam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:14 AM   #11
kodak_jack
Advanced Member

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellissam
Although the first time around can seem like a pain in the butt, the successive times are a piece of cake....JMHO
For 2006, just remove six top bolts above headlights and centre grill....pull centre grill out a little bit to give space for lights. Lights are tongue-in-groove with fascia on the bottom and lights have rear arm that needs to be lifted out of it's socket....other than that its easy! Can get one of my lights out in under 2 minutes....

I've been messing with cool blues, fog lamps and air horn......
When they talk about "facia", I'm assuming they mean the whole front bumper cover because that's all there is below the headlamps. Is that true, Mellisa, or not? If not, what are they really refering to? Warn says he had a heck of a time getting under the headlight without scratching the paint. Is there something that needs to be depressed under the lights or do they just slide out? You're the first to say anything about the grill. Take some shots and show us (although you guys have 06's and I have an 05)!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kodak_jack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-26-2006, 06:08 PM   #12
WarnsVue06

2006 VUE 3.5L
2008 AURA XE

Quote:
When they talk about "facia", I'm assuming they mean the whole front bumper cover because that's all there is below the headlamps. Is that true, Mellisa, or not? If not, what are they really refering to? Warn says he had a heck of a time getting under the headlight without scratching the paint. Is there something that needs to be depressed under the lights or do they just slide out? You're the first to say anything about the grill. Take some shots and show us (although you guys have 06's and I have an 05)!
Yes they are refering to the entire front portion of the vehicle bumper. The 2005's APPEAR from the above post, to be accessible from removing the side marker light. But on the 2006-7 the headlamp/turnsignal assembly is one piece.

I had a difficullt time getting the tongue and groove along the bottom of the light to go under the fascia, and "pop" back into place. Luckily if you do scratch the paint a little, at least on 2006, this area will be covered up by the headlight when all is back together.

The lights on the 2006, have two screws on top. The top of fascia has 4 screws, to "loosen" it up. Then there is a tricky release tab about 9 inches down, that supports the bottom of the headlight. It is released by accessing a hole in the frame from up above the headlight. That is where the most trouble was found. Then as you remove the headlight you need to pull back on the lose fascia as you sort of wedge the head light past it.

I agree with the statement earlier that it gets easy after you have done it a few times, but it is a cumbersome procedure, and I will only do it again, when there is good reason to do it.

Below are some scans.
The service manual way of removing the headlights was beyond a normal bulb changeout procedure in my opinion. I included the bulb replacement page as well the page they refer you to in removing the front fascia, and a page referencing the bracket once the fascia is removed.

The owners way of removing the headlights is much better than the service manual method, but is still unsettleing when you have never done it before. And once again the hardest part was figuring out that release tab that holds the bottom back of the headlight assembly, is to be done.

But also notice the Service Manual does not tell you how to release the tabs, I guess they (GM) assume you knew this already.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Service Bulb.jpg (172.7 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Service Fascia.jpg (186.6 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg Owner1.jpg (162.2 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg owner2.jpg (150.4 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Owner3.jpg (159.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Service Bracket.jpg (136.6 KB, 92 views)

---------------

Mods to come.

Last edited by WarnsVue06; 11-26-2006 at 06:19 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2006, 06:26 PM   #13
WarnsVue06

2006 VUE 3.5L
2008 AURA XE

Oooppss I included the Fascia removal scan for the Redline and not the "normal" Vue, so here it is. But all in all it's the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Service Fascia 2.jpg (152.9 KB, 66 views)

---------------

Mods to come.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2006, 08:13 PM   #14
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnsVue06
Oooppss I included the Fascia removal scan for the Redline and not the "normal" Vue, so here it is. But all in all it's the same.
Thanks!

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:13 PM   #15
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Yep. The fascia is flexible, and if you remove the two centre grill bolts up top, it will allow you to literally pull the fascia out allowing the rear headlight arm to clear, then you twist back of HL up which will disengage the tongue and groove on the bottom of the light...everything is quite fexible. I've removed the lights a good dozen times, and it is one of the easier things I've done with Silven....
I was going to post pics of the air horn install, which would show the light removal, but I was in a hurry (did it in a Home Depot parking lot...LOL). When I needed a part, I just went into the store....

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-26-2006, 10:21 PM   #16
m4gician
m4gician has a spectacular aura aboutm4gician has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 3.5L
2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellissam
Yep. The fascia is flexible, and if you remove the two centre grill bolts up top, it will allow you to literally pull the fascia out allowing the rear headlight arm to clear, then you twist back of HL up which will disengage the tongue and groove on the bottom of the light...everything is quite fexible. I've removed the lights a good dozen times, and it is one of the easier things I've done with Silven....
I was going to post pics of the air horn install, which would show the light removal, but I was in a hurry (did it in a Home Depot parking lot...LOL). When I needed a part, I just went into the store....

get the silverstar ultras 9005 and put em in (you'll love me later )

2005 Black Saturn Vue AWD V6
Aftermarket additions:
- Webasto Panorama Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to m4gician's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help m4gician reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
m4gician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:18 AM   #17
mellissam

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4gician
get the silverstar ultras 9005 and put em in (you'll love me later )
Been there, did that......wasn't U who suggested it a few months ago...putting 9005 in low beam ??? For those who are not aware, you clip the 'nub' out of 9005's and stick them in the low beam 9006 slot (hope I got the numbers right....).
I couldn't see coughing up $30 per bulb, whereas cool blues were $15.....big difference nonetheless....

'Silven'

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-27-2006, 04:56 PM   #18
greensaturn
greensaturn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnsVue06
I replaced the Low and High Beam bulbs in our Vue yesterday with Sylvania Silverstars.

What a pain in the butt for the first time removing the headlight capsules.

My take on this thing.

{START RANT}

1. Two screws on the top of each headlight (easy ),
2. 4 screws in the fascia (umm, okay ),
3. Use a screwdriver and release the lower bracket (Pain in the *****, took forever to get this right ),
4. Pull and stress fascia as a second person pulls on headlight (scary, OUCH watch my finger!, Sorry Honey. ),
5. Carefully angle headlight to get the "painted fascia" to come of out the slots on the bottom of the light. (Oh please don't scratch the paint! )
6. Small Flat blade screwdriver to release the plugs from the headlight connectors (scary, be gentle, but be firm )
7. Twist light bulb out of housing. (easy )
8. Now go to the other side and do the other light. (Ugggh, )

{END RANT}

If you attempt to do this yourself, look it up in the owners manual first. I have the service manual, as well, and it provided virtually no help on this process.
So I went to a couple of places today and priced the Sylvania silverstars. I checked Wal mart, autozone, and advanced auto. They were all comparable. Each pair highs/lows ran about $37 bucks.

I put them in took about 5 min per side. With some patience I was able to get the bulbs out without even loosening any bolts. I realized when trying to put the new ones that it would be beneficial to take out at least the two bolts on top of each headlight assy. This was on my wifes 2007 Vue. I am thinking 06's are the same. But this is much easier than the original post suggests.

Performance wise, I don't really see too much difference perhaps a little more light but certainly the light isn't white like say a lexus or acura. Overall this is simple job to do, but probably not worth the money in my opinion. We'll see if the K&N air filter makes any difference tommorrow.

Can any one suggest bulbs that are completely white light? I read someone suggested GE blackhawks, I saw those at Walmart.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greensaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greensaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greensaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:07 PM   #19
20VUE06

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensaturn
Can any one suggest bulbs that are completely white light? I read someone suggested GE blackhawks, I saw those at Walmart.
I am no pro, but I am not sure you are going to find bulbs much "whiter" than those Silverstars. Someone with PIAAs might be able to comment, but I have never owned a set of PIAAs.

As far as the Nighthawks - I think that they were a bit "whiter" than my OE's that were in my wife's Honda, but I don't think that they were quite as "bright" as the Silverstars. With that said, I would definitely buy the Nighthawks again as they were about half of the price of the Sylvanias. I, personally, don't think that the difference in the lighting is worth the extra dough. I think the difference in OE versus Nighthawks WAS worth the money though.

2004 Vue AWD V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-27-2006, 07:12 PM   #20
kodak_jack
Advanced Member

2005 VUE 3.5L

I used to say it when I was responsible for maintaining and improving production equipment, the idiots who design this crap should have to go out and fix it and see what montsrocities they've created.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!