SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2007, 09:06 PM   #41
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: S-Series Swap Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2fer View Post
What about front suspension and subframe (engine cradle)? My 1997 SC2 had an unfortunate encounter with a curb...and bent the subframe. I'm looking for replacement parts from an auto recycler or a donor car. Please advise what years/models will work. Thanks.
This has been covered before elsewhere, but I know that somewhere in '93 or '94 the radiator support is changed, but only some modifications need to be done to make the the older ones fit new cars and vice-versa. Otherwise, I think they are all the same across all models. I know I put a '92 SL2 sub-frame in my '92 SC and front struts swapped in were out of a '96.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2007, 09:10 PM   #42
SC2fer
SC2fer is on a distinguished road

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2fer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2fer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:59 PM   #43
sl2tuner
sl2tuner is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
2003 VUE 2.2L
Information Re: S-Series Swap Guide

ok i dk how many of you out there know anything about the ability to swap parts from other models outside of saturn the is one big on that i know of

the throttleboyd off of the Geo Storm and Geo Storm GSI is very close to a straight bolt on for the DOHC motors i am currently running a Geo Storm throttle body on my 99 SL2 5spd and i can actully feel a slight gain in the throttle with the new TB but u will need a custom bracket that me and a frind have made for it and it makes the pedal alot shorter which i actually like we have actually had a hard time finding the TB's tho unless u buy a new one

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl2tuner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl2tuner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl2tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:54 PM   #44
pn2r
pn2r is on a distinguished road

anyone knows the compatibility of the ALTERNATORS for s-series (all years)?

who cares about they say, keep breathing,keep living....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pn2r's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pn2r reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pn2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:15 PM   #45
sl2clone
sl2clone is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
1999 SL

I think 91-98 swap , then 99+ swap. They all bolt up the same. Old ones have square plugs , new ones have oval plugs.

Saturns saved and given new life : 11
The worst terrorist in history lives in the white house!
His goal is to erradicate the middle class working man!
Yeah , this country is SCREWED!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl2clone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl2clone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl2clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:37 PM   #46
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

How about Rack & Pinions? Looking to get a used one for my 2000 SC2 (2nd gen). Or maybe perhaps convert it to manual if it can be done for cheap.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #47
hxcmax
hxcmax is on a distinguished road

hey, i have a 96 sc2 and i found a site that sells a bunch of used Saturn engines, i was wondering if the 2.2 will fit in my car?

heres the link,
http://www.actionsalvage.com/Engine/...ginesaturn.asp

i would just like to know whats the biggest engine i could put in my car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hxcmax's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hxcmax reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hxcmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #48
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcmax View Post
i would just like to know whats the biggest engine i could put in my car
The biggest engine you can put in your truck is a Saturn DOHC 1.9L. The ECOTECs do not sawp over. Nothing is impossible of course, there a Saturn with a RWD V8 and another with a 3.8L S/C V6, but it is not an easy thing to do. There would be a TON of custom work. Unless you've got nothing but money and time to burn, it's not gonna happen.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #49
hxcmax
hxcmax is on a distinguished road

thanks alot, im just getting into tuning saturns. im sure ill have loads of saturn questions, ive got a 96 sc2 auto, and im looking for a saturn sc 5 speed thats for sale without an engine to do a swap, my engine has 64,000 miles on it so its still good. what suggestions do you have as to how to get the most performance out of my saturn?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hxcmax's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hxcmax reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hxcmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #50
Phredawgy
Phredawgy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcmax View Post
thanks alot, im just getting into tuning saturns. im sure ill have loads of saturn questions, ive got a 96 sc2 auto, and im looking for a saturn sc 5 speed thats for sale without an engine to do a swap, my engine has 64,000 miles on it so its still good. what suggestions do you have as to how to get the most performance out of my saturn?
No offense...but you'll probably get more info as to the performance aspect of it in the Saturn Mods Forum...or in a different thread than this one.

The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phredawgy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phredawgy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phredawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:38 PM   #51
asdf
Advanced Member
asdf is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
How about Rack & Pinions? Looking to get a used one for my 2000 SC2 (2nd gen). Or maybe perhaps convert it to manual if it can be done for cheap.
There's actually about 50 different part numbers, no joke. There are some real old one's with a fluid pressure sensor, but the main differences are in the steering ratios.

Basically, you'll probably want to find one from a SC2, unless you want to have to turn the steering wheel 2 revolutions to turn a corner.

The manual steering gears are the same, they just don't have fluid line hookups.

Any S-series steering gear will work though. All 50 different ones. They all have the same mounting hole locations, U-joint sleeve, and tie-rod ends so you don't have anything to worry about as far as putting one in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to asdf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help asdf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:51 PM   #52
Shinner
Shinner is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Anyone know if you can do a straight swap of an engine from a 95 SL2 into a 99 SL2? Any issues to know beforehand?

Slan,

Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Shinner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Shinner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Shinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:33 AM   #53
asdf
Advanced Member

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

You'll want the exhaust downpipe from the '95, but you should then weld the catalytic converter for the '99 onto it.

You will need to unscrew the knock sensor from the '99 to put on the '95 engine.

When you hook the temp sensor up, hook it up to the lower one on the '95, the upper one will no longer be used.

Use the ignition module from the '99.

Basically, there won't be any fitment issues, you can drop the engine in no worries. There will just be a few sensors and stuff to be swapped.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to asdf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help asdf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2008, 05:11 AM   #54
Shinner
Shinner is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxgoof View Post
You'll want the exhaust downpipe from the '95, but you should then weld the catalytic converter for the '99 onto it.

You will need to unscrew the knock sensor from the '99 to put on the '95 engine.

When you hook the temp sensor up, hook it up to the lower one on the '95, the upper one will no longer be used.

Use the ignition module from the '99.

Basically, there won't be any fitment issues, you can drop the engine in no worries. There will just be a few sensors and stuff to be swapped.
Thanks for the info!

Slan,

Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Shinner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Shinner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Shinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:16 PM   #55
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinner View Post
Anyone know if you can do a straight swap of an engine from a 95 SL2 into a 99 SL2? Any issues to know beforehand?
Fuel rail needs to be used from the '99. manifolds need to be from a pre '98 s-series as the bolt pattern changed in '98. ECT sender will no longer be used. the ECT Sensor is will be. use the '99 coil packs. Everything else (not sure about the knock sensor) is plug and play.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:47 PM   #56
asdf
Advanced Member

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

Yeah that's right, switch fuel rails, you won't need two pressure regulators. I'd just leave both manifolds attached to the '95 and use the exhaust downpipe for it. The '95 and the '99 intakes are the same anyways.

The '95 will have the extra vacuum line for the pressure regulator that was on its fuel rail. Swap vacuum harnesses on the throttle body or plug it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to asdf's Reputation
Old 02-21-2008, 03:26 AM   #57
Bornrebel
Bornrebel is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
1994 SC2

hey, how about the trannys......didnt see ne posts for that.
would a 93 5speed work in a 98?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bornrebel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bornrebel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bornrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:09 AM   #58
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornrebel View Post
hey, how about the trannys......didnt see ne posts for that.
would a 93 5speed work in a 98?
Manual yes. Atuomatic, no. So the 5 speed will work fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 02-23-2008, 02:30 AM   #59
asdf
Advanced Member

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

If they are both SOHC, or if they are from different engines, then your cruise control in the '98 won't work at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to asdf's Reputation
Old 03-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #60
headtrip
headtrip is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1991 SC

Based from the same original TSN guide, there is an up to date, and actually organized version at http://www.saturnwiki.net/index.php/Swap_Guide

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to headtrip's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help headtrip reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
headtrip is offline   Reply With Quote