SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2007, 06:59 AM   #21
srponies
srponies will become famous soon enough

1997 SL2
1997 SL2
Default Re: S-Series Swap Guide

Downpipe differences: 97 DOHC and 99 DOHC. I took some photos of the downpipes when I put a 97 motor into a 99. They really should have left it the same - it's just so slight a difference that it doesn't work.

Photos attached. BTW - 97 pipe is on the left, 99 on the right.

Steve H.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Downpipes 97 & 99 DOHC 001.jpg (142.2 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg Downpipes 97 & 99 DOHC 002.jpg (146.9 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg Downpipes 97 & 99 DOHC 003.jpg (144.4 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg Downpipes 97 & 99 DOHC 004.jpg (156.1 KB, 155 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to srponies's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help srponies reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
srponies is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2007, 07:05 PM   #22
sl2clone
sl2clone is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
1999 SL

I noticed that too. I tried to use my 99 exuast on a 97. The holes on the flanges are clocked differently.

Saturns saved and given new life : 11
The worst terrorist in history lives in the white house!
His goal is to erradicate the middle class working man!
Yeah , this country is SCREWED!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl2clone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl2clone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl2clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:31 AM   #23
Tanro
Tanro is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
1991 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post
Yes. In the preamble I said where I stole it from.
Allright so since you stole Mind if i post it up on my site?

VTEC All of the lag but none of the boost. Its basically like waiting to have really bad sex.
http://sattie.1111mb.com/index.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tanro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tanro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tanro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:37 PM   #24
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanro View Post
Allright so since you stole Mind if i post it up on my site?
Oh, now you expect me to let you steal something I stole first, fair and square? Go nutz! That's how they do it in show business.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:54 PM   #25
myoung
Advanced Member
myoung is on a distinguished road

99 is the major redesign year for the DOHC. The head was the biggest change, with roller rockers and the 9 bolt exhaust manifold, in addition to the elimination of the top timing chain guide. The crank also changed, as noted. 99 pistons are different as well, and year specific as per the Saturn parts mainframe.

Your guide is inconsistent.

Quote:
91-99 blocks interchange externally. Now internally itís a different ball game. The 91-92 had a crank all on its own that will not function correctly in the 93-99 years due to the positioning of the crank position sensor reluctor ring notches. 93-99 cranks are interchangable
'92 to '02 blocks are totally interchangeable. The '00 and up blocks are stronger and all the accessories from previous years fit. Also, the internals from previous years will fit in the '00 and up blocks.
This has to be wrong, as it would be stupid to change everything but the block (internals, head, etc). Although they did wait a year to change the intake manifold, which isn't mentioned in the guide. As I stated above, 99 was the change year. I know, I'm rebuilding one right now.

I guess it's not your guide, but it's factually incorrect at any rate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to myoung's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help myoung reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:01 PM   #26
sl2clone
sl2clone is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
1999 SL

TO say the least , the 99 twin cam is a ******* engine. I have read SO many conflicting things about the 99 engines I completely give up on them. Either get a 98 and back or 00 and up. That way you KNOW what you are getting. Plain and simple.

Saturns saved and given new life : 11
The worst terrorist in history lives in the white house!
His goal is to erradicate the middle class working man!
Yeah , this country is SCREWED!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl2clone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl2clone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl2clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:38 PM   #27
pn2r
pn2r is on a distinguished road

do you guys know if fuel filters are interchageable for all years?

who cares about they say, keep breathing,keep living....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pn2r's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pn2r reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pn2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:22 PM   #28
Phredawgy
Phredawgy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pn2r View Post
do you guys know if fuel filters are interchageable for all years?
No they are not
Fuel filter, saturn, sohc 91-94
Fuel filter, saturn, dohc 91-93

Fuel filter, saturn, sohc 91-94
Fuel filter, saturn, dohc 1994

Fuel filter, saturn, sohc 95-97
Fuel filter, saturn, dohc 95-97

Fuel filter, saturn, all 98-02

The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phredawgy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phredawgy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phredawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #29
jasonesms
jasonesms is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1

*1991 - 1993 (midway through '93) blocks contain an oil feed restrictor (looks like a freeze plug with a hole in it) present in the right front oil galley beneath the deck. This should be removed to prevent oil starvation to the head, as the newer headgaskets function as the restrictor. is this plug located in the motor ??????? i have dry starts when i let the car sit over night this my help a littel any help would be great thanks ???? jay

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jasonesms's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jasonesms reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jasonesms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:25 PM   #30
SPOOK
SPOOK is on a distinguished road

Hey there,
I have a 93 SC2 auto which may have had it's quad driver part of the ecu fried due to the alternator going mad and pushing out 22 volts.
Sometimes it runs fine, other times it splutters, backfires, "snatches" it's gear when putting into reverse or drive.

I have replaced numerous engine parts, (both temp sensors, egr valve, alternator, coils, leads, plugs, fuel filter, air filter, throttle position sensor, and the entire vacuum system has been checked for leaks.)

The poor running is intermittant, and follows no pattern when driving. It can happen anytime, irrespective of what you are doing.

My local auto technician has been through the car a few times and read the error codes. A fried quad driver is his prognosis.
Has anyone ever heard of this problem happening??

He also said if I did get another ecu, it would have to be 'mapped' when on the car. I live in the UK and I have only ever seen 4 Saturns over here, 2 of which I own! There are, as far as I know, no dealers over here who could remap an ecu anyway.

So-Is my tech dude right, or can a matching ecu just be plugged straight on and the car be used??
Reason for listing this tech query in this thread, is- how do I tell what ecu will fit my car? Which number do I go on? (NOOB alert!)

Thanks for any help you guys can give.
SPOOK

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SPOOK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SPOOK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SPOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:04 PM   #31
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOOK View Post
Hey there,
I have a 93 SC2 auto which may have had it's quad driver part of the ecu fried due to the alternator going mad and pushing out 22 volts.
Sometimes it runs fine, other times it splutters, backfires, "snatches" it's gear when putting into reverse or drive.

I have replaced numerous engine parts, (both temp sensors, egr valve, alternator, coils, leads, plugs, fuel filter, air filter, throttle position sensor, and the entire vacuum system has been checked for leaks.)

The poor running is intermittant, and follows no pattern when driving. It can happen anytime, irrespective of what you are doing.

My local auto technician has been through the car a few times and read the error codes. A fried quad driver is his prognosis.
Has anyone ever heard of this problem happening??

He also said if I did get another ecu, it would have to be 'mapped' when on the car. I live in the UK and I have only ever seen 4 Saturns over here, 2 of which I own! There are, as far as I know, no dealers over here who could remap an ecu anyway.

So-Is my tech dude right, or can a matching ecu just be plugged straight on and the car be used??
Reason for listing this tech query in this thread, is- how do I tell what ecu will fit my car? Which number do I go on? (NOOB alert!)

Thanks for any help you guys can give.
SPOOK
Ok, first thing is this totally not the right place for this.

Second, your mechanic is stupid, but he's probably never seen another Saturn in his life, so it's not his fault he is completely wrong about everything.

Third, do a search for Quad Driver fault. it's very common, it's not a big deal, although sometimes the cure for the code is somewhat elusive. And sice you have a few other issues, if the Quad Driver search doesn't give you the answers you need, then post a new thread about it, because where you've got your inquiry now, isn't gonna get you much attention.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2007, 06:18 PM   #32
RedRacerSC2
RedRacerSC2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung View Post
99 is the major redesign year for the DOHC. The head was the biggest change, with roller rockers and the 9 bolt exhaust manifold, in addition to the elimination of the top timing chain guide. The crank also changed, as noted. 99 pistons are different as well, and year specific as per the Saturn parts mainframe.

Your guide is inconsistent.

This has to be wrong, as it would be stupid to change everything but the block (internals, head, etc). Although they did wait a year to change the intake manifold, which isn't mentioned in the guide. As I stated above, 99 was the change year. I know, I'm rebuilding one right now.

I guess it's not your guide, but it's factually incorrect at any rate.
I have a 1994 SC2 with a SOHC engine. Engine is beyond help. Is it safe to assume that any 1.9L SOHC engine from 94 up will drop right in, providing that I use all the externals from my currently bad engine?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedRacerSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedRacerSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedRacerSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:26 PM   #33
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRacerSC2 View Post
I have a 1994 SC2 with a SOHC engine. Engine is beyond help. Is it safe to assume that any 1.9L SOHC engine from 94 up will drop right in, providing that I use all the externals from my currently bad engine?
No '93-'04 will drop right in. "95 started with the new EGR (except California cars, which started in '94). Why does your SC2 have a SOHC? It should have a DOHC. Why don't you put it back to the way it should be? Or were you lied to, and you actually have an SC1? Do you have pop-up headlights? If not, then it's an SC1.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 05-21-2007, 08:44 PM   #34
davebugs
davebugs is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking of buying a 99 DOHC with a locked up motor.

Since 99 is a one year motor - would it be wiser to get a 98 or 200 - and which one would take the least effort and be more plentiful(cheapest).

Thanks,

Dave

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davebugs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davebugs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davebugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:59 PM   #35
RedRacerSC2
RedRacerSC2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post
No '93-'04 will drop right in. "95 started with the new EGR (except California cars, which started in '94). Why does your SC2 have a SOHC? It should have a DOHC. Why don't you put it back to the way it should be? Or were you lied to, and you actually have an SC1? Do you have pop-up headlights? If not, then it's an SC1.
That was a typo. It is an SC1.

Aside from the EGR, everything else should work? I'm kinda confused...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedRacerSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedRacerSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedRacerSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:59 PM   #36
99SC2-RED
99SC2-RED is on a distinguished road

1997 SC1

I have a 97 SC1 with over 200K on the clock !! I have access to a brand new SOHC engine... I believe it is an O1... Any chance it will swap ??

The old engine still runs good... But uses a qt of oil every K miles and is beginning to slow down on the hills.... and there are lots of hills here !!

Thanks !!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99SC2-RED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99SC2-RED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99SC2-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:14 PM   #37
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99SC2-RED View Post
I have a 97 SC1 with over 200K on the clock !! I have access to a brand new SOHC engine... I believe it is an O1... Any chance it will swap ??

The old engine still runs good... But uses a qt of oil every K miles and is beginning to slow down on the hills.... and there are lots of hills here !!

Thanks !!
Well the exhaust manifold bolt patter is different for sure. You'll need the '01 PCM as well for sure. Also, you might as well change the intake manifold gasket on the '01 since it will leak if it the factory original. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head that you will need. YOu might want to try your own new thread to get better responses. But did the '97 engine blow? Is there anything wrong with it? Usually, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 07-12-2007, 08:31 PM   #38
99SC2-RED
99SC2-RED is on a distinguished road

1997 SC1

Uzzy..
Your are right !! Had already pulled the trigger when I realized that !!
I don't know how to move this... or I would !!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99SC2-RED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99SC2-RED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99SC2-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:09 PM   #39
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

What about water pumps?
I bought a '97 SOHC water pump from Napa, the '93 SOHC part# is 1# off...will it still work fine (I'll save $30)?

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:02 PM   #40
SC2fer
SC2fer is on a distinguished road

What about front suspension and subframe (engine cradle)? My 1997 SC2 had an unfortunate encounter with a curb...and bent the subframe. I'm looking for replacement parts from an auto recycler or a donor car. Please advise what years/models will work. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2fer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2fer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2fer is offline   Reply With Quote