SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2016, 10:01 PM   #281
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: S-Series Swap Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by swcoupe View Post
Am so great full for your advice, I will address the intake as you have generously suggested. I have seen videos on the cleaning of the exhaust carbon so will be prepared for that as well.
The new to me 01 sc2, is saturn #5 for us, first with a sunroof, Leather seats, and bright and shining paint. Here paint clear coat goes fast in sw sun, but minimal rust is our saving grace on Saturns.

Motor swap then restore sunroof to operation. Thanks so much OldNuc!!!
You are welcome, sun roof restoration is a major job as all the plastic in the tracks is no longer available so it is a matter of finding good used parts. If you use YouTube search for richpin06a saturn for a long list of how to videos, not my videos but they are very good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2016, 04:37 PM   #282
1997sc2turbo
1997sc2turbo is on a distinguished road

Alright, I threw a dif pen or something in my 97sc2, I am wondering if I can pull the running 1.9 sohc out of a 1992 sw and bolt it in. I'm no mechanic, but from what I've read, the motor is the same, bolts the same. HELP?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1997sc2turbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1997sc2turbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1997sc2turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:07 PM   #283
winkcle
winkcle is on a distinguished road

Hey Uzzy,

the exhaust system on my 1998 sw2 is shot. Do you know if the 2004 ion has a compatible exhaust system. I would like to pull the part from a yard and replace mine with it if possible?

joe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to winkcle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help winkcle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
winkcle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:46 PM   #284
mikek215
mikek215 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

Hi all. I'm thinking about trying to get my 96 SC2 back up and running (rod blew out the bottom).

I just want to make sure I'm understanding all this info. I have a 96 SC2 DOHC that had an auto trans (parted out some things after it blew). If I read it correctly, if I choose to rebuild I can

-use any block, SOHC or DOHC...the SOHC resulting in some compression issues.
-would need PCM from a 96 SOHC for the auto to function correctly if I use that type of block.
-would have to get another auto because a 5 speed won't work?

Found someone that has an 01 SOHC w/ a 5 speed. My first thought was to just get that and drop it in, but would like to stay with the DOHC.

Thoughts? Rebuild? Replace? I've never done anything like this, but want to learn and car is already dead, so I say why not go for it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikek215's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikek215 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikek215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:12 AM   #285
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

Given the opportunity swap to a manual. WAY more fun to drive and is only an afternoon (day if you're new) project really. Use the DOHC because ~24 HP difference. You can mod the SOHC all you want and it'll still be slower than a bone stock DOHC.

There are dozens of DOHC swap threads.. they're pretty much a drop in.

sixthsphere.com owner
1997 Saturn SC2 Turbo
sixthsphere.com/showthread.php/89737

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2Sick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #286
mikek215

1996 SC2

I really want to swap to a manual, it's been a long time and miss owning one. Not to concerned about more hp and what not, just want to get it back on the road for now.

Would like to keep the DOHC, but seems it may be easier to just drop a new engine in. So far I've only seen SOHC for sale in my area, but will keep searching.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mikek215 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2016, 07:29 PM   #287
CJ's_1999_SL
CJ's_1999_SL is on a distinguished road

1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek215 View Post
I really want to swap to a manual, it's been a long time and miss owning one. Not to concerned about more hp and what not, just want to get it back on the road for now.

Would like to keep the DOHC, but seems it may be easier to just drop a new engine in. So far I've only seen SOHC for sale in my area, but will keep searching.
If you can get a single cam engine, just grab it and use the block with your head. You might have slightly less compression, but overall should still be good to go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CJ's_1999_SL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CJ's_1999_SL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CJ's_1999_SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:15 AM   #288
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek215 View Post
So far I've only seen SOHC for sale in my area, but will keep searching.
Check your local junkyards for S-series that have been rear-ended or T-boned, with no front end damage. You can pull a manual trans and matching PCM at the same time. '96-97 DOHC will be easiest, though as mentioned, any year will work but more modifications needed.

You can actually use your current (96 auto) PCM with a manual transmission (any S-series manual transmission) but will always be setting transmission codes, and the fuel maps won't be right (at certain rpms/loads, PCM will send a signal to the non-existing auto trans to shift, then adjust fuel accordingly - people who have done this describe it as a "flat spot" or hesitation)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #289
mikek215

1996 SC2

Just found a guy with a 99 SOHC and 5 speed who said he'll take $300 for it all. Also said he has the clutch pedal assembly and possibly may have the PCM if I decide to swap that out. Plus everything has already been pulled from the vehicle, so there's half the job done for me.

I feel for now I am just gonna drop the engine and trans in as is so I can get it back on the road, allowing me to drive it while I inspect and clean the 96 head to ensure it didn't get damaged as well when it blew.

Thanks for all your help and advice, time to go back to the beginning of this thread and brush up on what mods need to be done

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-26-2016, 03:38 PM   #290
Pinfield357
Pinfield357 is on a distinguished road

I have a 96 SL2 with a bad sub-frame, and just picked up a 00 SL2 with a bad engine. would It be easier to swap the sub-frame into the 96, or put the 96 engine into the 00?

From what I understand the engine swap would not be plug and play, not even swapping manifolds, but if I put the 00 head on the 96 bottom end I could make that work correct?

Thanks for the input.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pinfield357's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pinfield357 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pinfield357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:53 AM   #291
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinfield357 View Post
I have a 96 SL2 with a bad sub-frame, and just picked up a 00 SL2 with a bad engine. would It be easier to swap the sub-frame into the 96, or put the 96 engine into the 00?
You will probably get more views and responses if you start your own thread. Most people who have been around a while don't even look at the sticky threads, because they are "reference" threads.

That said, welcome to Saturnfans.

Caveat, I've never done an engine swap, but I would put the '96 engine in the '02 frame. You will need to retain the '02 fuel rail and injectors, and use your '02 sensors.

"bad subframe" on the '96 implies rust, which will make the bolts a pain to remove

I would wait for opinions from others who have done swaps before following my advice, though

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:29 PM   #292
Saturn813
Saturn813 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1998 SC1

Im looking to swap my 99 sl2 90 amo alternator to a 220 amp alternator but the only one i can find is for a 97 sl series will that still fit my 99 saturn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn813's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn813 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:40 PM   #293
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If it is an early 97 alternator you have to change the side connector or buy the adapter. look att he pix of the alternator you are planning on buying, if there is a fan on the front you need the adapter or connector swap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #294
ribbs24601
ribbs24601 is on a distinguished road

I have a 1999 dohc sl2 auto. I might be purchasing a 2000 sl1 manual with blown sohc engine. What problems will I have putting the dohc in the sohc's place? Wiring harness and such?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ribbs24601's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ribbs24601 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ribbs24601 is offline   Reply With Quote