SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2006, 07:32 AM   #1
lisaNmike
lisaNmike is on a distinguished road

1997 SC1
Default Estimate cost of getting leaky sunroof fixed at dealership? please.

Posted below about daughter's SC2 '97 that has water collecting on passenger side floor in front and back, headliner getting wet along the front driver, front middle, front passenger and along passenger side over door and now in trunk. It seems to be getting worse with each rainfall. When we had the car for a few days, hubby blew out one front sunroof drain line, sealed the base around antennae but doesn't feel confident in himself to take off door panel and really get to drain lines so didn't do that. Passenger side door didn't pass dollar bill test but again we were afraid we'd break door if we tried to bend it. (I thought that I might tackle drain lines but chickened out as images of never being able to get panel back on or roof liner back on so I'm no help either.)

Okay, now I'm wondering if anyone can give me rough estimate of what this might cost when she takes it into a dealership to be fixed. What scam may they try to pull on her, what should she be leery of? Daughter's about ready to try to sell car to who ever will buy it and feels that the world is against her! <parents of 18 year old daughters will understand I'm sure!> From what I DON'T hear I think that car is running well just leaking like crazy.

Thanks in advance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lisaNmike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lisaNmike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lisaNmike is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2006, 09:12 AM   #2
saturnjohnny
saturnjohnny is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default Re: Estimate cost of getting leaky sunroof fixed at dealership? please.

i don't think theyll pull a scam, maybe just charge a lot for new sunroof parts. check out this guy:
http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/
scroll on the sideto find your car- fortunately, in '97 Scs, they can be fixed, unlike my '93...
BUT, make sure you have a factory sunroof. they have info on that site to tell the difference.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnjohnny's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnjohnny reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
lisaNmike

1997 SC1

I don't think that the sunroof needs to be replaced.

From everthing that I've read here it sounds like classic plugged front drain tubes and plugged/disconnected rear drain tubes (trunk flooding posts usually point to tubes having gotten disconnected somehow), in addition, to doors needing to be "readjusted" because they failed the "dollar bill test."

<see I'm reading I'm just not following all of the great advice and doing the fixing!> All of the molding/rubber stuff appears to be in good flexible shape so don't think it's molding.

Does this sound like the dealership would be the best place to bring it? Any idea on what they will charge? Does this sound like a job for an independent mechanic? Glass place?

Here's another question for you....Would putting tape all along the edge of sunroof help? Basically creating a seal from the roof to the glass. Not pretty but better than portable swimming pool in trunk. What kind of tape would you suggest so as to not make matters worse and to be as <cough> asthetically pleasing as possible. Okay now you know that I've reached point of desperation!

Car is white...do they even make white duct tape?

Thank you,
mom to a really depressed Saturn owner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lisaNmike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
saturnjohnny

1995 SC2

you could leak test it yourself, w/ a hose, watch where it leaks...
as far as tape, maybe. what I just did to mine, the trackes were broken, took them out, glass seal dried up, took it off, laid glass back in roof, siliconed it in- real trailer park repair, but parts for a '93 roof would be more than $500!
I think maybe a glass place would be better, a dealer will just replace parts, i would think. chasing down a leak takes time. by coinincdence, my wife is bringing our VUE in today to get a leak chased down, but its still under warranty, so its their deal. hooking us up w/ a new carpet and a rental-loaner!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnjohnny reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #5
lisaNmike

1997 SC1

I actually called a dealer service center and guy somewhat took pity on me. He said that it would cost $42.50 just to look at car and would probably start around $200+ to look at fixing it there at dealership. He also told me that his daughter's car had water collecting in trunk and he took it to a body shop to fix it...cost under $100. Stemmed from a windshield replacement. I asked him about taping off the whole sunroof seam and he said that if coming from sunroom tracks that this should work or at least eliminate the sunroof as source of leak. Kind of cracked me up that at first he acted as if this was a rare occurrence...judging by posts here it seems almost a given if you have a Saturn with a sunroof.

New question...what type of tape should she get to seal this off...wide enough to seal from glass to roof and preferably white. My brother advised looking for the vinyl tape that's used to "shrink wrap" boats since it's made to withstand elements and is usually white. Any idea where I'd find something like that? I'm going to swing by an automotive shop to see what they might have, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks.
mom

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-08-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
lisaNmike

1997 SC1

Called a second dealership and technician (said he had been there for 14 years and has leaky sunroofs on 3 of his own Saturns) said that given the age it probably isn't as easy as just plugged drains. Told me that the metal frame/stripping around the glass itself rusts and water gets through that way. Said the glass would need to be replaced and would cost about $500. Told me that with window opened up you'd see the metal around glass rusted. Taping around entire window..glass to actual roof might work. The trunk would be another problem but didn't elaborate.

Maybe we can just tape the whole car shut and only use the driver's door? Just kidding.

Again, just looking for advice on how to seal the sunroof (very low tech advice for a low tech mom to tell her equally low tech away at college daughter)? What kind of tape would work?

Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2006, 06:39 AM   #7
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

It needs to be applied while dry but, duct tape would do it.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:42 AM   #8
saturnjohnny

1995 SC2

duct tape will break down when wet- go to homedepot and look for some outdoor tape or something, they've got tons of different tapes there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2006, 02:37 PM   #9
lisaNmike

1997 SC1

Thanks. I'll stop by Home Depot tonight and pick up widest white outdoor tape that I can find. The other posts about car leaking even with sunroofs has me bummed out though. What is the deal with these cars? Is it the fact that they aren't totally metal? Oh well, I'll update you guys after we have successfully hermetically sealed her SC2 (Soaked Car 2 transformed into Sealed Car 2). Maybe it's just meant to be a Sunshine Car 2?!

Your support has been very helpful!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2006, 11:27 AM   #10
gkainz
gkainz is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

My kid's '95 SL2 sun roof went inop a while ago and he doesn't have the funds nor do I have the time to replace the parts to make it operable again. To keep it closed and sealed, we pulled the slider blocks on the latch assembly fully forward and closed, drilled a small hole thru the rail behind the block and pinned the blocks closed with a small screw. No more leaks, no more sun roof popping open when the doors slam shut, no ugly tape or sealant on the outside, and if circumstances change, the sun roof is still repairable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gkainz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gkainz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote