SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #1
dildog
dildog is on a distinguished road

Default Transmission cooler line replacement?

Well in the sense of whatever can go wrong will go wrong came true on a simple radiator swap on the 1996 SL2. The auto transaxle cooler lines could not be removed from the radiator, no vice grip, heat or just about anything else would free them. So now I have to replace the lines.

It looks like a pain, any hints on the the removal of the old lines and the connection of the new lines to the transmission? I take it the filter will have to be removed, as well as some sensor in close proximity to them. Any other hints to get these lines replaced?

Where to get the lines on-line? Couldn't find them on SaturnParts.

Please help..

Reference thread: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88335

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dildog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dildog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dildog is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Transmission cooler line replacement?

Part numbers for those two lines are:

Upper line: 21030568
Lower line: 21030707

Just e-mail them at saturnparts.net with the part number and description and they'll get you a price.

Do not throw you old lines away yet, you'll need to remove the plastic quick connects from them an put them on the new lines. Also get the correct tool to install the new lines onto the radiator. You'll need a tool called a flare nut wrench. A regular wrench or vice grips will damage the nut.

Pick up a metric set of these.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:30 PM   #3
dildog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn
Part numbers for those two lines are:

Upper line: 21030568
Lower line: 21030707

Just e-mail them at saturnparts.net with the part number and description and they'll get you a price.

Do not throw you old lines away yet, you'll need to remove the plastic quick connects from them an put them on the new lines. Also get the correct tool to install the new lines onto the radiator. You'll need a tool called a flare nut wrench. A regular wrench or vice grips will damage the nut.

Pick up a metric set of these.
Thanks.. Can you elaborate more on these quick connects? nothing on the radiator side is going to salvageable. Can the lines be quick disconnected from the transaxle? I could cut the metal part of the line so I could just use a sock on them, at least that would ensure no damage to the transaxle whilst removing them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dildog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2006, 10:01 PM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

There are quick disconnects on the transmision side. You pinch the tabs and the line slides off.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2006, 08:18 AM   #5
dildog

Quote:
There are quick disconnects on the transmision side. You pinch the tabs and the line slides off.
WOW! I had no idea. Any reason to replace those quick connects if they don't appear to be leaking? The car is 10 years old w/ 100k miles.

Thanks for posting that image, very helpful!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2006, 10:07 AM   #6
dildog

Here's the parts I ordered since the car is in pieces I might as well replace all these parts in search of that elusive 33MPG.

1. ECTS (engine coolant temp sensor)
2. AIT (air intake temperature)
3. TTS (transmission temp sensor)
4. upper transaxle cooling line
5. lower transaxle cooling line
6. Saturn Automatic transmission fluid filter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2006, 12:19 PM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that they didn't put the quick-dis's on the RADIATOR end of those lines? Given that you're MUCH more likely to have to R&R the radiator than the tranny....

(Or, garsh, they might even have q-d'ed BOTH ends....)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:31 PM   #8
Low Saturn

2008 AURA XE

Yeah I've always wondered the same thing. But then again, with the correct tools, its really not that hard to do. Just remove the radiator with the lines attached, then use a flare nut wrench and remove the lines with the radiator out of the car.

Actually now that I think of it, My 2001 Suburban has quick disconnects on the radiator side too.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2006, 12:41 PM   #9
dildog

Quote:
Yeah I've always wondered the same thing. But then again, with the correct tools, its really not that hard to do. Just remove the radiator with the lines attached, then use a flare nut wrench and remove the lines with the radiator out of the car.

Actually now that I think of it, My 2001 Suburban has quick disconnects on the radiator side too.
After talking to the techs here @ Chevrolet and Saturn it seems it's not uncommon to have to replace the fluid lines after 10 years, many times they just won't budge when removing the radiator. Luckily the new ones are only $11/each and a new QD for the transmission side is only $6. I guess it's not all that bad to replace them, I need to clean up the front of the transmission anyways.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2006, 01:36 PM   #10
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
> Low Saturn <
you'll need to remove the plastic quick connects
> Mike <
Are they similar to the "quick disconnects" that is part of the fuel line which is connected to the fuel rail

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:46 PM   #11
Low Saturn

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
> Mike <
Are they similar to the "quick disconnects" that is part of the fuel line which is connected to the fuel rail

Exactly.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2006, 10:50 PM   #12
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Cars are not built for the ease of future repairs. They are built for the ease, speed and cost of assembly on the factory line. Easy to install threaded in lines to the rad before it hits the factory floor. Not so easy or fast to thread things into the trans on the moving line. Pushing in the line until it clicks in place is easy.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #13
99 SL2
99 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I'm doing a radiator replacement on a 99 SL2 and figure I'll run into this problem. What size flare nut wrench do I need to get the cooler lines off the radiator?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99 SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99 SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99 SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #14
Baron5867
Advanced Member
Baron5867 is just really niceBaron5867 is just really niceBaron5867 is just really niceBaron5867 is just really nice

1994 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 SL2 View Post
I'm doing a radiator replacement on a 99 SL2 and figure I'll run into this problem. What size flare nut wrench do I need to get the cooler lines off the radiator?
I believe that the flare nut wrenches are overrated, and that vise grips are the way to go IF you can "vise" them hard enough (eg, you have strong hands) and if you can get them into whatever space you have available. In the case of the radiator, disconnect hoses at the transmission and deal with the connections at the radiator after you remove the radiator from the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Baron5867's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Baron5867 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Baron5867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #15
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

If you read the many old threads (like this one), the cooler lines are notorious for being nearly impossible to remove 99. I'd just play it safe and order two new ones.

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #16
Baron5867
Advanced Member
Baron5867 is just really niceBaron5867 is just really niceBaron5867 is just really niceBaron5867 is just really nice

1994 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by off-track View Post
If you read the many old threads (like this one), the cooler lines are notorious for being nearly impossible to remove 99. I'd just play it safe and order two new ones.
Yes, by all means. My reply above was not meant to imply that there is a way to guarantee to remove the cooler lines intact. I always advise having new ones on hand. Assume they will be destroyed when removed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Baron5867's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Baron5867 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Baron5867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #17
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Wrench Re: Transmission cooler line replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 SL2 View Post
The size needed is 1/2 inch. I know, nearly all the sizes for things on our Saturns is in the metric system but this is one of the few exceptions.

13mm is close; slightly larger than 1/2 inch - but I'd suggest 1/2 inch instead of 13mm.

As others have pointed out, the nuts for the compression fittings on these automatic transmission cooler lines are extremely difficult to loosen and remove from the radiator without breaking something, and when replacing the radiator it is best to plan on replacing the automatic transmission cooler lines as well rather than reusing them.

As of Oct 2017
∙ 2002 SL1 128K
∙ 2004 VUE 120K
∙ 2007 ION3 108K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David 93 SL2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #18
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

The few times I have replaced the radiator on a S-series, I have only had to replace the bottom cooler line. That being said, I would have both on hand just in case. I found OEM (Delphi) cooler lines at Rockauto.com for less than the dealer. About $12 each plus shipping IIRC. I also got an OEM (Delphi) radiator from Rockauto.com for around $80.

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #19
ddeuces22
Advanced Member
ddeuces22 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

I just had a smiliar problem. The nuts moved fine but the bottom line snapped at the metal part. I just cut the rubber line and purchased a double flared steel line with the right size adapter. Used a grinder to cut the steel line, slid it into the hose and double clamped it. Voila the line was good as new

96 sl2 stage 1 midpenn cams,91/92 header,2.25 ss exhaust, ported and polished head, groundpounder, sda bones, pimped tranny mount, .40 o/s pistons, .25 u/s rods, .25 u/s crank,19mm progress swaybar

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddeuces22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddeuces22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddeuces22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #20
m0topilot
m0topilot is on a distinguished road

Running into this problem and I cannot get the upper cooler line off. With the disconnects, can I just simply disconnect and reconnect the new line? Do I have to mess with the nuts when reconnecting?

Thanks,
Matt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to m0topilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help m0topilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
m0topilot is offline   Reply With Quote