SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #1
'98GoldSL1
'98GoldSL1 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1
2001 SC2
Sad Electrical issue? bad ground? I'm @ my wits end with this POS!

Ok, this is the last straw. I'm honestly tired of all the crap this car puts me through...on the verge of driving it off a cliff, or to the junkyard.

Last night, while delivering pizza like usual..my car starts acting funny. It just didnt feel "right" for a while...then the problem comes up
problems: gas gauge ALWAYS reads 3/4..even when I know I had 1/2 a tank. Needle wouldnt move UNLESS I put a load on the electrical system.

I turned on my high beams, rear window defroster, stereo, wipers, fan on high with heat on, recirculate button on...also tried it with A/C...and the gas gauge actually goes UP...this is the weirdest thing I've ever seen.
Temp gauge does the exact same thing...it bounces around between just over 1/4 *which it runs @ normally* and 1/2..even with the heat on high. I'm talking rapid movement.

I'm thinking it must be a bad ground somewhere..cuz I can't think of anything else. Disconnected the negative battery cable..thinking it might have cleared it, but still remains.

I started it up this morning, and the gas gauge went down to half where it is supposed to be...then I start driving and it goes back up to 3/4!!! Has anyone ever had something remotely like this happen to them? On a side note I have been getting a lot of bad shocks from my car over the last couple days before this started.

Alternator is 5 months old, same with battery. I got them @ the same time. ECTS is brass one, so that is ruled out. I honestly just feel like giving up..it's always something with this car.

SL1 256,000kms and counting...
2001 Yellow SC2 comin out soon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to '98GoldSL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help '98GoldSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
'98GoldSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
'98GoldSL1

1998 SL1
2001 SC2
Default Re: Electrical issue? bad ground? I'm @ my wits end with this POS!

Reading an old post by DanSL2, my auto tranny has had a difficult time shifting over the last couple days. It just doesn't seem to know when to change gears. I usually have to push it upwards of 2200rpm to go from 2-3-4.

My alternator was a re-man unit, and hasn't had any problems. When I do what I stated in my above post, such as turning things on...I can hear the system "bog down" then fire back up...even when cruising @ 2000 rpm down the highway. Bad reman unit maybe?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help '98GoldSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-05-2006, 10:12 PM   #3
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

It's gotta be a loose wire, or bad ground somewhere, but where to start? I'd look at all of the wires in, and out of the altertnator, and starter first, and try the gas gauge fix (it's in the How-To somewhere, it's a somewhat common problem). After that, who knows. Electrical Gremlins are the worst to deal with because there's hundres of feet of electrial wire in a car. Maybe try adding a second ground strap like the later model cars. Or does a '98 have that already? I thought they do actually. It would be on the upper engine mount.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:23 PM   #4
'98GoldSL1

1998 SL1
2001 SC2

I'll check out all the wires underneath, I'm lucky I have ramps. It's getting to the point where I just want to drive it to the JY and say I don't want it anymore.

It also just did the high idle thing on me when I put it into neutral to put on the e-brake *a regular practice of mine*, shot up to 2K rpm...******** CAR.

I'm honestly starting to hate Saturn altogether, theres been nothing but problems from day 1 with this piece of s-h-i-t. I was thinking the next car I buy will be an Ion, but I'm not so sure anymore. I've pretty much lost my faith in all GM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-05-2006, 10:45 PM   #5
andy_95sl2
Master Member
andy_95sl2 is on a distinguished road

GM has treated my family very well. You also have a SL1, SOHC car. On my mom's friend's 94 Suburban, whenever using the turn signals, all the needles would rock back and forth. Maybe its a cluster going bad? I've seen clusters that stick and bounce before.

Try getting your electrical system checked at autozone or something. Should be free.

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon -> daily & toy =)
2009 BMW 128i -> sold
2003 VW GTI 1.8T -> wrecked
1998 Saturn SL2 -> parted out
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andy_95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andy_95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andy_95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:51 PM   #6
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Don't gotta be so harsh about the car. All cars have problems. And it's probably something simple. Used cars are going to have problems. My friend says he would never buy used cause you never know what happens to them...and refers to them as throwaway cars....cause someone didn't want it....probably because they neglected it and it developed problems from poor maintenance.

I don't really like remanufactured alternators.....my dad went thru too many of them too quick for me to like them.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:09 PM   #7
andy_95sl2
Master Member

My high output alternator was $110 from ebay, and was rated at 160 amps. It said new on the box.. but the seller's name was MotorCityReman so i doubt its new lol. Works wonders though!

Hey, maybe somebody you know who passed on is using the gauges to talk to you. In my mom's Grand Am, her radio would change by itself on an important day. In her minivan, the interior lights would flash on important occasions. Nothing has happened with the new Impala yet... but then again nothing interesting has happened in our lives yet.

2009 BMW 128i -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help andy_95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2006, 04:50 AM   #8
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

you need a cheapo voltmeter spliced into a cigarette lighter plug. Drive around with this and watch for fluctuations in system voltage as the car exhibits symptoms.

Everything can be traced back to this. The high idle is the car trying to compensate for low voltage.

Do all your warning lights (battery, check engine, service wrench) work when you turn the key on but don't start the engine?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:33 AM   #9
10W30
Advanced Member
10W30 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnManiac
My friend says he would never buy used cause you never know what happens to them
The same can be said about a buying new model car that just came out.
Plus, whether you like or not. The second you drive that sparkling, brand new car off the lot, it's immediately considered used.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 10W30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 10W30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
10W30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:24 AM   #10
'98GoldSL1

1998 SL1
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefino
you need a cheapo voltmeter spliced into a cigarette lighter plug. Drive around with this and watch for fluctuations in system voltage as the car exhibits symptoms.

Everything can be traced back to this. The high idle is the car trying to compensate for low voltage.

Do all your warning lights (battery, check engine, service wrench) work when you turn the key on but don't start the engine?
Yeah, all the lights come on when I turn the key to RUN. Battery light hasn't come on while driving yet. Do you think this problem would shoot an SES code @ me? my light is on...has been for a while, but I already know it's related to my cat, and my engine running rich.

Never even thought about using a voltmeter like that. Good idea. To the poster that said something about Autozone..I live in Canuckland no autozone's here

I'm glad I had a night to sleep on things, now I can think level headed lol. I'm gonna try a couple things when I get back from work @ 2. The weather seems to be co-operating right now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-06-2006, 04:20 PM   #11
c5f8
c5f8 has a spectacular aura aboutc5f8 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC1
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I was having electrical problems also. Read this thread how I fixed the problem.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87519

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to c5f8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help c5f8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
c5f8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:10 PM   #12
'98GoldSL1

1998 SL1
2001 SC2

Well, I checked out all the wires from the alternator, starter and battery as Uzzy said. Sanded down all connections straight through, positive post of my battery had some of the red rubber melted? Took off and sanded down the grounds right by the under hood fuse box, and just down from that on the frame *by the tranny*, started it up...same thing.
Gas gauge goes from 1/2 up to 3/4 and system bogs down still when under electrical load. I just HAD to lose my friggin leads for my multimeter I hate when people touch my stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-06-2006, 06:14 PM   #13
andy_95sl2
Master Member

you do know that its normal for s-series cars to jump reading on fuel gauge when first started, right? The needle does not stay in one spot with the engine off.

My fuel gauge also moves when going up or down a hill, because gas shifts.

2009 BMW 128i -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-06-2006, 06:20 PM   #14
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by '98GoldSL1
Well, I checked out all the wires from the alternator, starter and battery as Uzzy said. Sanded down all connections straight through, positive post of my battery had some of the red rubber melted? Took off and sanded down the grounds right by the under hood fuse box, and just down from that on the frame *by the tranny*, started it up...same thing.
Well that's a good star, but the melted plastic is bad. There's something out a whack somewhere. Something is causing a power surge. Like I said, try the fuel gauge re-calibration int eh How-To. Sometimes, moisture in the trunk can rot the wires in there and cause troubles. Check all of the wires for the lights in the trunk, and check for burnt out bulbs in back. (Unless you're Mohamad Ali, you'll need help with that). Oh, and Autozone = Parts Source = Crappy Tire Automotive section.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2006, 07:46 PM   #15
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

Need to get that meter working. I agree that the melted rubber's a bad thing. Need to find out why and probably replace the cable. The connection inside might be damaged. Need to check voltage with the engine off and with it running. Should be ~12.5 engine off and ~13.5 engine on. Should be pretty steady when it's running at a steady engine speed. Increasing engine speed might raise the voltage a bit but it shouldn't change much. Also checking voltage at the fuse box and maybe the lighter and comparing them to the voltage at the battery should help to narrow down the problem.

I wouldn't be surprised if the alternator's shot. I think Crappy Tire will check it if you take it off and bring it in. The light doesn't always come on if the alternator's not working properly. No reason to scrap the car yet.

Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:16 PM   #16
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

I rented a horrible u-haul truck with a possibly botched body ground. All the gauges went through this ground that screwed with everything. Indicated voltage dipped from 14v to 12v in time with the turn signal blinking. Check engine light was on (possibly unrelated, never figured out.)

Dash gauges are usually very well buffered against changes in system voltage. They have their own regulator so they're supposed to be a sea of calm in an ocean of tempest.

Here's another idea, run the blower motor fan on the "2" setting and turn the stereo off. Any changes in voltage will change the pitch of the fan... something the human ear is very good at picking up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #17
'98GoldSL1

1998 SL1
2001 SC2

Went and got some leads finally...

Battery voltage with car off: 13.2 checks out fine.
Voltage with car running: 13.8...also seems fine
Power in cigarette lighter socket: 13.4? Sounds good to me.

When I turn on the blower to 2, I can physically hear the engine bog down..If I turn on the headlights @ the same time, the blower blows less air, the pitch changes *gets quieter* the car further bogs down, and doesn't recover. If I also turn on the rear defroster, it has a hard time idling, and the interior lights get dimmer.

Me thinks its gotta be a short somewhere.

To Andy95: Yeah, I know the gas gauge moves on startup...it always did that..its when I start turning on lights, etc...it moves UP @ least 1/4 tank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-06-2006, 09:46 PM   #18
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by '98GoldSL1
Me thinks its gotta be a short somewhere.
Me thinks you might have a battery that won't handle a load very well. I'm quite pissed at my own right now I've wired up dozens of car radios before, and for some reason this one is giving quite the headache. I've already popped 3-10A minifuses, and now I'm all out. I only have enough for the factory radio to work. WTF!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 11-06-2006, 09:49 PM   #19
'98GoldSL1

1998 SL1
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy
Me thinks you might have a battery that won't handle a load very well. I'm quite pissed at my own right now I've wired up dozens of car radios before, and for some reason this one is giving quite the headache. I've already popped 3-10A minifuses, and now I'm all out. I only have enough for the factory radio to work. WTF!
I'll bring it to CT tomorrow to get it tested. 5 months old with a 5 year warranty...it better damn work. I'll also bring in my alternator for testing too, didn't even know they could do that.

LOL about your post..that's why I keep about 10 extras in my glove box
You have some extras in your under hood fuse box, do you not?

Last edited by '98GoldSL1; 11-06-2006 at 10:00 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-06-2006, 10:11 PM   #20
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

I'm not so sure about the battery. If it starts ok, that's the biggest load on the battery. When it's running the alternator should power everything, within reason. If you have a short it should blow a fuse unless it's shorted before the fuse. I'd say test the alternator and confirm that it's output is OK. Seems like it's ok by the voltage readings but it's hard to say without testing it.

I had some flickering lights on my SW1 and it was corroded battery connections so cleaning connections from there to the fuse box and the grounds. Try cleanning them again if you already tried once, it's easy and cheap to do.

Good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote