SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2006, 07:45 AM   #1
94SW2
94SW2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
1994 SW2
Default "aura-esque" wagon; anyone else excited?

Just read the news about a wagon version of the aura (though possibly/probably marketed under a different name). As a current SW owner, this is the best news to come from Saturn (for me) in a while.
The timing looks good too as my wife will be finishing grad school around then.
Wonder if it will be offered in a 5-speed...?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
94SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2006, 07:55 AM   #2
montrealvue
Advanced Member
montrealvue is on a distinguished road

Default Re: "aura-esque" wagon; anyone else excited?

That would be great news for me! A wagon variant would be perfect as I find the trunk too small on the Aura. When my lease is up on my '06 Vue I hope to stick with Saturn. The next gen Vue is not as appealing to me as I would have hoped.

So long as they don't make the Aura wagon look like a Malibu Maxx (the designer of that should be drawn and quartered!....what an absolute disaster!!!) then its defintely something I will be interested in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to montrealvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help montrealvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
montrealvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:01 AM   #3
montrealvue
Advanced Member

and here's the article.....

Wagon for Saturn?
GM planning to bring next-gen European-built Opel model to U.S., sources say
By HARALD HAMPRECHT AND RICK KRANZ | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Published 07/31/06, 7:37 am et

General Motors plans to add a second European-built model to Saturn's product lineup in the United States.

The next-generation Opel Vectra wagon will be imported and sold as a Saturn, senior GM sources in Europe say. The target is 50,000 units annually, beginning in 2008 or 2009.

The mid-sized wagon will be assembled in Ruesselsheim, Germany, using GM's next-generation, front-wheel-drive Epsilon platform.

Interviewed at the British Motor Show, GM Europe President Carl-Peter Forster said "a final decision has not been made" on exporting the Vectra wagon to the United States. But Forster said the plan would be feasible. He said the future Vectra sedan and the wagon will use the next-generation Epsilon vehicle architecture.

"An export version would not require any additional expenditure," he said, because "for the first time (the Vectra) is based on a global component architecture."

That architecture will be used for vehicles sold in Europe, the United States and elsewhere, including the next-generation Saab 9-3, Pontiac G6 and Aura.

The Saturn Aura sedan that goes on sale this fall is based on the current- generation Epsilon architecture.

The Vectra wagon will become the second Opel import in Saturn's lineup. Beginning in 2007, GM will replace the Saturn Ion with rebadged Opel Astras, aiming to sell as many as 45,000 units annually. The fwd Astra is about the size of a Ford Focus.

The imported Vectra wagon will offer all-wheel drive and a V-6 engine, says Jim Hall, vice president of industry analysis at AutoPacific Inc. in Southfield, Mich.

Hall said Saturn's marketing team is now determining whether to launch the vehicle as a premium model, basically the wagon version of the upcoming Aura sedan, or as a "quasi off-road version." The 2007 Aura introduces the styling themes for the upcoming Vectra wagon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help montrealvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-26-2006, 11:53 AM   #4
SW2Muck
SW2Muck is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Good to hear, but I'd be more excited if they bring over the Astra wagon or hatchback, and not just the sedan.

Andrew "SW2Muck" Muck

"Do you know your place, in the big charade? Are you more than they?"
-Bad Religion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SW2Muck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SW2Muck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SW2Muck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:05 PM   #5
Andy07xr
Andy07xr is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I'd like to see the AWD come over, specially if it's in a red line Aura.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Andy07xr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Andy07xr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Andy07xr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:10 PM   #6
10W30
Advanced Member
10W30 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

From the article I read. I guess it's going to look similar to this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 203789.jpg (67.8 KB, 84 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 10W30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 10W30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
10W30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:55 PM   #7
montrealvue
Advanced Member

My only concern is that GM won't want to bring it over here because the LW wagon wasn't a great seller. Given that it wasn't a good seller because it had numerous quality issues and wasn't on par with other wagons in the market that the time like the Ford Taurus wagon.

I'd say the timing is perfect to bring it over as there aren't many wagons out there now and the Aura is being very well received. In fact, MUCH better received than the L when it was introduced way back in '99.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-27-2006, 08:11 AM   #8
trancer78
trancer78 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2002 SC1

I don't think GM would be hesitant on bringing this model over based on the sales of the LW. The L series in general wasn't a big seller but that didn't stop them from bringing over the Aura, which seems to have been a good move.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trancer78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trancer78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trancer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:27 AM   #9
Nuke-Em
Nuke-Em is on a distinguished road

I say bring it over. GM needs something to compete with the VW Passat wagon. What better than the Aura?

Matt

If God had intended driving to be boring, he would have given us all Toyota's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nuke-Em's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nuke-Em reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nuke-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:46 PM   #10
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

They should just import it and put the Saturn stickers where the current ones are - leave it exactly like the Euro versions. They'd sell if left pure Euro and made there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:29 PM   #11
Greenhornet
Greenhornet will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10W30
From the article I read. I guess it's going to look similar to this one.
If you look very close, I believe this photo is of the ASTRA wagon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greenhornet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greenhornet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greenhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:35 PM   #12
Greenhornet
Greenhornet will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney
They should just import it and put the Saturn stickers where the current ones are - leave it exactly like the Euro versions. They'd sell if left pure Euro and made there.
I agree, leave it exactly as per European spec. As for where it's made, due to currency factors, it would be too expensive to be built in Europe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greenhornet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greenhornet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greenhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:54 PM   #13
piney
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet
I agree, leave it exactly as per European spec. As for where it's made, due to currency factors, it would be too expensive to be built in Europe.
You know if they built it here, they'd put some Goodyear Crapfinity tires on it or some low-bid General rubber & it'd handle like a G6 from a rental fleet. Price it up market and sell them in limited numbers & let it go head to head with the Passat wagon. If they limit their cost of tooling and such, they should be able to make it happen by selling it as a higher end wagon like the Passat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2006, 08:22 PM   #14
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

I'll be excited when there's a 6-spped manual and turbocharged Aura.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:58 PM   #15
montrealvue
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-seriesguy
I'll be excited when there's a 6-spped manual and turbocharged Aura.
I am SO liking the way you think ..... I can't think of a reason why they shouldn't bring it over to North America. SUV sales are still soft and the Aura is proving to be a winner....why not a wagon????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2006, 10:34 PM   #16
page2171
page2171 will become famous soon enough

An Aura wagon sounds good to me...especially with a manual!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to page2171's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help page2171 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
page2171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:03 AM   #17
EnglishSL2
Advanced Member
EnglishSL2 is on a distinguished road

IIRC the Vectra wagon actually has more loadspace than a Volvo V70, which is pretty impressive. That should give it some extra kudos when it arrives in the US!

*Simon*

1993 Volkswagen Golf GTI. No Saturn at the moment, but one day, hopefully.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EnglishSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EnglishSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EnglishSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:11 PM   #18
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet
If you look very close, I believe this photo is of the ASTRA wagon.
No, 10W30 has the correct pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealvue
My only concern is that GM won't want to bring it over here because the LW wagon wasn't a great seller. Given that it wasn't a good seller because it had numerous quality issues and wasn't on par with other wagons in the market that the time like the Ford Taurus wagon.
Actually, the L wagon was more one of the bright spots as there weren't many midsize wagons then and still aren't many now.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #19
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: "aura-esque" wagon; anyone else excited?

Saturn should sell an AWD AURA wagon along the lines of the Subaru Outback. Methinks such a vehicle would prove quite popular, especially with me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thatjerryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:05 AM   #20
piney
Master Member

I saw a new silver Passat wagon with dark smoked tint and, wow, I did a double take. What a nice looking wagon. The US consumer will pay for a premium wagon Saturn, bring it over as is, don't fiddle with it one iota.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!