SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2006, 07:13 PM   #1
1996SC2
1996SC2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
1999 SL1
Default Window won't roll down

I have a 96 SC2 with manual windows and the driver window will not roll down. The handle just pops as you move it and the window stays put. I am guessing it is the window regulator. Has anyone had to pull the door skin off and replace one? Is it a complete nightmare? Any advice would be awesome, thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2006, 07:21 PM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Window won't roll down

Its pretty easy to do. Just remove the inner and outer door skin. The regulator fasteners remove from the inner part of the door frame and then the regulator comes out through the outside.

Heres how to remove the outer panel

http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...uterpanel.html

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:34 PM   #3
maddoughboy
maddoughboy is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

I had the same problem. it is labor intensive and unless you modify it like I did you will need a big rivit gun and you will also most likly need a speacila tool to undue the nuts holding the window to the regulator, it also helps to have an extra set of hands.

God, Kids, and Cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maddoughboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maddoughboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maddoughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:54 PM   #4
1996SC2
1996SC2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
1999 SL1

Thank you for the feedback. It is one of the most annoying problems that I have on the car currently and I am just hesitant to start taking those parts apart. I don't want to mess up the door handle or something and have the door not shut right or something. But having a window that doesn't roll down is about to drive me nuts. I park in a parking garage every day for work and I have to open my door and reach around every time to get my parking ticket on the way in and then again each time I leave. And forget about ordering fast food..... So I am dying to get it fixed. Any other thoughts or input from other members would be appreciated. Thanks again.
Matt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:56 PM   #5
nkruesel
nkruesel is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

Matt:

It really is not as complicated as it sounds. LowSaturn is right, it is easy to take the outside and inside panels off to get access to the window regulator. I had to replace the window regulator and motor in my 96 Saturn SC2 last year. The door handle on the 96 SC2 comes off very easy (a plastic pin under door handle instead of 2 steel rivets).

If the regulator does need replacing, and if you do not have a rivet gun, you can use small bolts, lock washers and thread lock to secure the regulator to the door. The hardest part is taking the window off the regulator. As maddoughboy mentioned, you will need a special tool. However, if you don't have the special tool to remove the washers, you can use two allen keys with a cresent wrench to turn them loose.

Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nkruesel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nkruesel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nkruesel is offline   Reply With Quote